The Day the Music Died – Part 2: The Aircraft

Started by James B Robinson · 69 · 4 years ago · C-64 Norseman, Glenn Miller, Modelcraft, RAF Twinwood
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Thank you David for the kind words. The plane is 98% finished as is the car. I was making pretty good progress and well...life got in the way. Hoping the weekend ahead will be fruitful. I will have something to show by the deadline for sure.

@dirtylittlefokker

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I'm looking forward to seeing this ! You have been doing a wonderful job on it...

• Profile Photo

Update - 01/20/20

Had a little accident while moving things around, trying to finish up a few other builds and concentrate on the diorama base.

Lesson learned! From now on, builds will occupy a box or container when not being worked on.

After a few hours, I was able to recover and fix. I'm going to switch over to working on the Control Tower and base now. Once those are to a semi-finished state, I will come back and add some weathering and final touches to the UC-47 and Staff Car.

Mtc,
    James B

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 3 months ago:

A neat desk is the sign of a sick mind. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Man that UC-47 looks nice. Keep up the good work James.

• Profile Photo

LOL Tom @tcinla, the camera angle is decieving. It's a total mess at the moment. Would give DLS @dirtylittlefokker a stroke if he saw it.

Tom B @tom-bebout, Thanks! Considering what I had to work with, it's turned out better than expected. There's a few things I would do differently if, and that's a big IF, I ever build another one.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Hey James, @jamesb
    It seems that we all suffer a setback when it's the worst possible time for it to happen doesn't it ? My Brubaker Panther jet just got a complete new paint job because of one too...

I like how the UC-64 is looking, and I have to say, it has some very good company with it right now. Your other builds turned out very well too. In particular, I like how you tackled the problems with the kit supplied wheels. They look fantastic...

As far as the actual UC-64, do you happen to have any good scale 3 view drawings of it ? This plane would be a great flying scale model ... and I just happen to know this guy who can draft up a set of plans using the 3 views. LOL

Keep it up buddy. Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Louis @lgardner, thank you very much for the comps, I truly appreciate them. Yeah, the wheels turned out pretty good IMHO.

As for the 3 views, I'm not sure the ones I have are true enough for scaling. If you are serious about tackling something like this, we would need to look into the records of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum's archives (https://airandspace.si.edu/archival-collections). I have an account with Aircorps Library (https://www.aircorpslibrary.com/) and they have some drawings for some aircraft, but it is more expensive than NASM to get them.

It's possible, but might be a long process.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 2 months ago:

James, @jamesb

These are some excellent ideas...

Ironically, I have a nephew who works in the records department at the National Archives. I never thought of going this route before, but it's an excellent idea. I'll give him a call... he was able to locate a lot of information for me on my Dad's cousin who was shot down and killed over Italy, and he helped me with additional information on another family member by providing the MACR for his B-25 crash.

Thanks for the spark (more like a flash in the pan for you muzzle loaders...) and for providing the links to these websites.

And yes, you should be very proud of your UC-64 wheels... They look fabulous, much better than the original kit parts.