The Last Ship...

Started by Boris Rakic · 5 · 5 years ago · 1/350, Arleigh Burke, Destroyer
  • Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 5 years, 7 months ago:

or maybe the first in this GB? Anyhow, given the generous timeline I think I might actually be able to pull this off. The USS Nathan James (DDG-151), a fictitious Arleigh Burke-class destroyer and the real star of the TNT series "The Last Ship". I will be using Trumpeter's 1/350 USS Lassen and most probably a bunch of Veteran Models aftermarket bits.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Boris and thank you for a stunning and unique contribution to the Group Build. You are absolutely correct about it being the 'first ship' in the GB,

I am such a huge fan of apocalyptic novels and movies, and absolute s****r for anything regarding The End of The World. I read the book in the late 80's (early 90's - as I remember there was a lot of information heavy detail about the running of a US Nay ship that I was really interested in. Of course, the apocalypse was nuclear (in those days we still had the Soviet Union, strange how we keep going in cycles with history...

Love your idea and it is so in tune with the idea of the Group - to build something that is out of the ordinary modeling range, personal, and evokes specific memories.
    Can't thank you enough for this and hopefully we'll get a few people watching 'The Last Ship' along the way.

I had two thoughts about ships (actually three if you include the original NCC1701 Enterprise) and they are wildly different. The first is the more conservative; The Yorktown CV10 from 'The Fighting Lady'...

...and the USS 'Sea Tiger' (which was actually the USS Balao). From 'Operation Petticoat.

A pink sub. Would look great weathered and beaten on the desk.

Thanks again, Boris for a storming entry into the Group Build

@raikisan

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Hey fellas! I started watching "The Last Ship" when it began, but I somehow lost interest in it when something else I liked better was on at the same time. It was a cool idea. I'll have to revisit it.

The pink submarine would make a WONDERFUL entry here, David @dirtylittlefokker . It doesn't get much more Hollyweird than that and it was a hoot to watch!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Jeff, I loved Operation Petticoat - “when a girl is under 21 she’s protected by law. When she’s over 65 she’s protected by nature”. Cary Grant, Cmdr Sherman.

@mikegolf

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Holy Shiiii...zles! Operation Petticoat was one of the first movies I remember seeing when we first moved to the States from Korea. Up until this moment—I never knew the sub was pink! Our 13 inch TV was a black & white set and I've never seen it since.