Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo!

Started by gary sausmikat · 14 · 5 years ago · iModeler Movie Group. Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Hey Fellow iModeler Movie Modelers, Gary here, checking in at the theater from Williamsport, PA.

My invitation to Davids movie group couldn't have been better timed. About two months ago I completed two Accurate Miniatures B-25B's in the markings of The Ruptured Duck and Col. Doolittle's ships to complete my personal display of the Doolittle Raid.

My display is based around the book, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, authored by Doolittle Raider, Capt. Ted Lawson but fits in well with the movie, because the movie was based on the book.

Here's my contribution... Roll Em!

The MGM movie, released in 1944, is directed by Mervyn LeRoy, stars Spencer Tracy, as Lt. Col. James Doolittle and Van Johnson, as Capt. Ted Lawson and also includes Robert Mitchum. A mix of studio and real footage is used throughout the production. Given its release date, it does have some obvious propaganda overtones but faithfully tells the story of these American Heroes and the Doolittle Raid. The movie won the 1945 Oscar for Best Special Effects...and imagine no CGI was used.

My builds:
    The U.S.S. Hornet was completed in 1988 and the Mitchells were completed in May of 2018. An inconsistency you will notice between ship and aircraft models is the deck colors. When completing the the B-25's, my research showed the Hornet had the blue decks, so I modeled these decks with the blue color and back in 1988 I used a more natural wood color on the Hornet.

U.S.S. Hornet:

The B-25B's:

Lt. Col James Doolitlle's aircraft:

Capt. Ted Lawson's aircraft:

And the James Dietz print “Early Launch, rounds out my Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo display.

I hope everyone enjoys my first, and hopefully not last, contribution to the Movie Group.
    So until the next flick rolls...Keep it Fun, and for Tom...Keep it Weird!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

The prize for quickest off the draw to Mr. Sausmikat, and Tom Cleaver (Brubaker’s Panther). I have to say these Doolittle projects are just gorgeous builds and beautifully presented. Love the tie downs to the deck, love the Hornet...hell, I love everything about this. I adore the Yorktown class Carriers and if I had time (how many times do I say that?) I’d build several of each.

What a way to kick us off, setting the bar this high, and as you say, hope we see more!

Huge thank you, Gary.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David! LOL . Nope...not trying set any bars, just lucky that these were already completed. Could be a while before the next one rolls around. This is a great idea and gets the modeling juices flowing.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Beautiful replies, David (love that print) - nice job on those models, my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Craig! those B-25's weren't as nice to build as other Accurate Miniatures I built but I was pretty pleased with the results. They look nice setting next to the Dietz print.

• Profile Photo

The print is fantastic, isn’t it? I think I’m going to have to get a copy for the den. I have a Galland Me 262 print it’d look amazing alongside.

• Profile Photo

To keep with a more "match the film" look, I added some b&w shots.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Brilliant, Gary - that is exactly the spirit!

@gwskat

• Profile Photo

Thanks David. I wish I could go back and add Van Johnson at the controls of my Ruptured Duck.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Brilliant thread, Gary. Classy.

• Profile Photo

Thanks so much David. It's fun but definitely testing my authorship. But I must be doing something correctly, writers block sets in at the first word...LOL

Loving this group, David. Great idea!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 5 years, 5 months ago:

One Doolittle Raider's goblet left remaining upright!

Took these pics while visiting the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio this past weekend.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Wow Gary @gwskat, I must have been asleep or in the weeds when this post came out. Great job. I agree with your sentiments on your latest post. The blue deck is a tad off. No worries, they still look great. I've been doing a lot of research on Carriers and in the earlier years they had a more natural stained teak deck. Once the war was in full swing, they tended to be a more grey/blue color. Tough to find the actual color, but from what I've seen the carrier model is close to what would have been at the actual time.

The last goblet. I've had the pleasure of meeting Dick Cole a few times at the Airshow here in Houston. Hope to meet him again in the future.

Marvelous tribute.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Beasutiful work, Gary.

"Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" was adapted from Ted Lawson's book by the incomparable Dalton Trumbo, the greatest screenwriter who ever worked in the movies. You should check out the biopic "Trumbo," which tells the whole story of his amazing life.