Top Gun – Maverick and Goose leave Kai Tak in a cargo plane

Started by David Mills · 36 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Maybe my ego's writing cheques... inspired by one of the best lines in the film.
    Location, Characters, Cargo - all selected.. just have to find the cargo plane !

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

"You don't own these planes son the tax payers do"

• Profile Photo
    Mon Falcone said 5 years, 6 months ago:

"I feel the need..."

• Profile Photo

“...the need for speed”.

Someone HAD to say it.

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 6 months ago:

@davem :: David, I can't wait to see what you do with this. Will the plane be filled with the commander's promised cargo?

@dirtylittlefokker :: Dave, I was going to take a jab about your British accent changing the tone of the line, but then I remembered that a Brit directed the movie (R.I.P. Tony). Drats! Then of course, I've never heard your voice... not even once... but why should that stop pals from jeering each other?

• Profile Photo

The accent is upper middle class Edinburgh, Chaz - think Sean Connery and your about there - so that might work for that line, Chaz!

@cybergolem

• Profile Photo

Chaz@cybergolem that is certainly the aim, I am just pondering how large that cargo plane ought to be!

• Profile Photo

This is going to be just fantastic. A perfect 'iModeler at the Movies' thread. Really can't tell you how great this is and how pleased I am to have this project dialled in.

...#reallyneedtogetoutmore?

• Profile Photo

@davem :: LOL... a C-130 would be expected but a beaten up C-119 would be more fitting to Stinger's promise.

@dirtylittlefokker :: Knowing that only makes me hate you more ;P Btw, my great grandpaps came from Scotland. I'm not sure from what town though. Funny enough, every Sutherland relation in my family has made claims to the Dunrobin Castle and any ties to famous peeps therein. If that were true, I often wondered why we lived in Queens NY without two subway tokens to rub together 😀

• Profile Photo

“You don’t own theesh planes shun, the taksh payersh do”

With a name like Sutherland there is only place you can be from, Chaz. Welcome to the Clan, laddie.

@cybergolem

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Wait a minute my ancestors on my fathers side were from the clan Watson,but then there's Roe , Cavell , and Royes which is English and some others that makes me a real mutt.

• Profile Photo

Well, you are in, too, Robert. Rob McRoyes. Has a certain ring to it, no?

@roofrat

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Aye,It does indeed!

• Profile Photo

Thanks chas@cybergolem the C130 did cross my mind fleetingly, but I was veering toward, a battered C-47 Dakota or C-46 Commando or perhaps even a C-54 Skymaster. On the modern side perhaps an old 747 - but then that's a lot of cargo!

The boxcar is much more in the spirit of a struggling cargo hauler and I think you are right in the spirit of Stingers promise hmmmm.

The C 119 and variants though is a movie star in its own right - Flight of the Phoenix, Air America etc... so I think its a real contender!

• Profile Photo

My first instinct was also a trashed C-47, but for identical reasons as you stated, thought the 119 embodied more of that struggling sensibility. It also contradicts Maverick's personality far more than the C-47 and any of its similarly shaped kin. The Dakota (I grew up knowing it as a Skytrain so referring to it otherwise was actually kind of weird 🙂 ) is actually quite good looking. The Boxcar is "fugly-cool". Kind of like comparing James Bond to Johnny English or Jason Bourne to Austin Powers.

Btw, did they ever make the C-47 with those side-loading hatches seen on FedEx and UPS planes? That would be kind of neat but even so, if you were tallying votes mine is still for the Boxcar.