1/32 Spanish Bf-109F-4

Started by George R Blair Jr · 98 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Before I tell you about my first build for this group, I wanted to take a minute and explain why I'm a little nervous about participating. I have always seen myself as a "renaissance" builder: I don't know a lot about the planes I build, but I do know a little about a lot of planes. So, when I look at the builders in this group who really do know a lot about these planes, I got a little nervous. I figured I could build a Bf-109 or two, and they would get lost in all of the other really awesome 109s that everyone else would build. But the giant flood of 109s that would hide my less-than-awesome or less-than-accurate 109s never materialized, instead everyone is building models that represent the vast inventory of German aircraft, and there aren't a bunch of 109s that I can hide behind. So, now that you have messed up my plan to hide my models in plain sight, here is the info on my first build.

I am getting ready to move to a new house about 130 miles from my current house. Thanks to all of the virus shortages, our new house may take almost a year to complete. My wife and I have been slowly packing things and moving them to storage, including most of my models. I kept some models back, including a couple of inexpensive 1/32 109s that I could use as a canvas to try some new painting and weathering techniques.

The first one is a Bf-109F-4 by Twenty-First Century Toys that seems like a poor choice for any form of serious model. In the early 2000s, this company made a line of plastic "die-cast" planes that were sold as already-built and painted collectables. At some point, they started selling these planes as unpainted kits. As a kit, they have a decent amount of detail and build into a respectable model, as long as you don't look too closely at the specific details. I previously bought and built one of their 1/32 Macchi C.202 kits, which built up into a fairly nice model.

I saw this 21st Century Bf-109F in the consignments at my local hobby store for $10, so I bagged it for some cheap painting practice. When this group build came along, I decided to use it as my first entry. I wanted to try adding some detail to the cockpit, as well as trying to upgrade some of the details. In my research, I discovered that Tom Cleaver (@tcinla) had built this kit in 2005. So, rather than duplicating his background history of both the airplane and the model, please visit his review at:

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/cleaver/tmc32f.htm

To start the build, I ordered the stuff I wanted to add to the kit. I got a full resin cockpit, a new set of wheels, and an Eduard "Look" instrument panel and seat belts. For markings, I found some decals for a really cool 109F-4 that was flown by the Spanish Air Force during WW2. Since getting the resin, I have discovered that some of the parts of the kit are as good as the resin replacements. With all of these goodies in hand, I am ready to tackle my first project. Off we go...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

George, @gblair
    By the looks of things, you are on your way to building a very nice looking Bf-109F. According to some of our resident Luftwaffe "Experten", these planes were originally used by the Luftwaffe, who in turn provided them to Spain. I don't know all of the little details, but this is the abbreviated version.

I have built one of these 21st Century Bf-109's. I painted mine in JG 54 "Green Hearts" colors. This unit had some amazing paint schemes, and I don't think that any two are the same. I don't remember any bad things about the build, so it must have been OK. The main thing you will have to contend with is filling in the big plastic push in style covers for the screws that are provided and used to hold the fuselage halves together.

I have that exact same kit as you do in my stash of 1/32 scale planes. The decal sheet that came in yours looks to be in good shape, and would likely cost you more than what you paid for the complete kit.

These aftermarket parts you have for your 109 will likely be an improvement, including the wheels. The resin wheel hubs seem to be more defined than the kit supplied parts.

I look forward to the next installment...as you have already captured my attention with this one !

I wish you good luck with your new home construction. Building a house in today's environment has to very stressful. Not having your regular models on hand must also be an adjustment.

Thanks for joining our ever increasing Luftwaffe group build. You couldn't have picked a better one to start with.

Take care my friend, and stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Excellent choice George , is this the only one Spanish Bf 109F in "Africa" camo ?
    About the kit I have to say that : excellent choice, in the sense that it is a cheap kit, but it is very accurate in its providing details and therefore it is a perfect base to "mess" on it as much as you want .
    I will follow 100% !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Excellent choice, my friend @gblair!

Now onto some specifics:

Your models are really outstanding, as will be this Bf-109, upon finishing!

In our hobby, there will always be better made models made from more experten modelers and, of course, this might very well be the case in group builds. And this is very good!

To me (and, I believe, I am not the only one), the greatest part in social scale modeling is for us modelers to come together, build together, each one at his own pace and style, improving our skills along the process, admiring each other's work and effort, no fruitless comparisons, every model being nice in its own posture. In my view, iModeler stands for such "values" and this is something I love.

The 21st Century Toys kit is an amazing kit, as it offers a solid representation of the type at a killer cost, leaving many options o the potential builder. You have acquired some serious extras, haven't you? The result will for sure be a great, qualitative departure from the base kit!

This is a superb choice!

Looking forward to see it coming along!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This will be an awesome build, George @gblair
    Looking to your quality builds, you are much more than a “renaissance” builder.
    Having fun in building and being satisfied with the outcome of your build is the most important.
    I learned that everybody on iModeler is willing to help to improve your techniques.
    With all the aftermarket you have for this kit, you are off to a great result.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nothing to hide there George 🙂
    I don’t know the kit your using, not even my scale, but it looks pretty decent plus with all those AM stuff you can turn it into a great model.
    Looking forward for it

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind words and motivation, Louis (@lgardner), Michael (@faraomike), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb), and Pedro (@holzhamer). I will be the first to agree that one of the things I like best about iModeler is the social aspect of the projects and their builders, especially with all of the potential isolation over the last year. I also appreciate the supportive nature of the builders and their comments.

I tend not to learn much about the planes I build, if you exclude the C-141 and the T-37, which I flew in the Air Force. Have you ever bought a book because you liked the picture on the cover? That's often how I decide to build something. I find a paint scheme I like, and then I build the model so I can have the paint scheme. I learn just enough about the plane to build it. There are just a handful of planes that I have taken the time to learn more about, mainly WW2 stuff. So, on to the build and everyone stay safe.

• Profile Photo

The first thing on the agenda today was to take a good look at the kit parts for the cockpit and decide whether I would use the resin cockpit I got or scratchbuild the missing parts of the kit interior. I have read two online reviews from modelers who built this kit and they both indicated the cockpit was definitely usable. They say no battle plan survives the first shot, and so it went with my cockpit. As I was assessing the kit cockpit parts, I realized that the previous owner had glued several pieces of the cockpit together. Consignment kits at my local hobby store aren't supposed to have anything built, so I was a little surprised. My first thought was to pick up where the previous modeler had left off, except I discovered they had not done a very good job on the cockpit. The seat had been glued into the cockpit incorrectly and sat at an angle that no pilot could use. In addition, they had glued the front bulkhead to the cockpit floor at an angle. I gave both pieces a nudge with a screwdriver in an effort to pop them free, but they are apparently glued for life. I suppose I could have taken the kit back to the hobby store for a refund, but I preferred to think of this as an easy way to decide which cockpit to use.

With the cockpit decision made, I used my trusty Dremel to remove the molded detail on the inside of each fuselage half.

I then removed the cockpit components from their molding blocks and test-fitted them into the fuselage. The resin cockpit, designed for the Hasegawa model, fit into the fuselage almost perfectly. I will need to adjust the rear deck directly behind the pilot's seat, but everything else seems to fit well. I sprayed the cockpit components with some black primer as a base for the later paint colors.

That's it for today. Tomorrow we paint the interior of the cockpit and prep it for adding to the fuselage. Till then, everyone stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A good decision made, George.
    The side panels are nicely detailed.
    Looking forward to this interior.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Well, looks like the Universe conspired for your using the resin cockpit, my friend @gblair...
    And it looks great!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

George, sorry I'm a bit late to this awesome party! Great choice on the cockpit - it is just so much more accurate with the brakecylinders aka rudderposts and seat and all. The decalset is made by SBS-model and in 1/32 branded by Attitude aviation that also has some beautiful conversions made by SBS, but that is another story. I have used the same set in 1/48 for a spanish build, and it is highly reccomended. As @faraomike asked, might I add that it is not the only F-4 in spanish desert colors, it was just the one chosen by SBS for the set. Regarding the Trop-filter, they were seldom used in Spain, and usually only mounted when the individual plane served in the Spanish Colony in Africa, so it really is up to you wether it is flying north or south of the mediterranian, but they are some great looking filters - no pressure 🙂

Really looking forward to this rather basic kit getting the Blair treatment, and from previous builds by you there is absolutely nothing to hide. Strapped in, popcorn poppin', the kettle on.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Good choice @gblair. Follow what I did and you will have a very nice model. That one I did even stands up to the 109F Hasegawa finally released a few years later.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb), Spiros (@fiveten), Erik (@airbum), and Tom (@tcinla). I always told my daughter that life would put you where you needed to be, and so it was with way things unfolded with cockpit. Thanks for the info on the brake cylinders, Erik. I suspected they were more than a post, but my quick tour through my references didn't turn anything up. Tom, your previous build has been helpful. I am planning to box in the recess for the leading edge slats today. Cheers everyone.

• Profile Photo

Made some progress today on the cockpit. The Aires cockpit is very nice and goes together well. The only parts I had problems with were the seatbelts. The seatbelts were strips of photoetch, and the buckles and other hardware were separate. The belts had to be threaded through the buckles to create the seatbelts, and there was just no way that was going to happen. Luckily, the "Look" instrument panel from Eduard also comes with a set of seatbelts which fit perfectly and saved me the heartache of trying to assemble the Aires belts.

I started the cockpit with a base of black primer. When this was dry, I sprayed some Tamiya German Gray over the black primer, spraying from the top of the panels so that the black primer would create shadows and depth. After this was dry, I sprayed some lighter gray in some of the open areas of the panels to create highlights. Detail painting followed, along with some Tamiya black panel line wash. I also tried using some AK Weathering pencils to create some variety in the flat tones of the cockpit. The seatbelts were added and some final washes added. The washes have really darkened the cockpit, but I think it will OK.

I decided to use the Aires instrument panel rather than the Eduard "Look" panel, which was for a 109G. The Aires panel consists of resin pieces for the panel base, 3 or 4 etch pieces for the front of the instrument panel, and acetate pieces for the gauges and the gunsight glass. I sprayed the back of the acetate piece used for the instruments using white primer, and then sprayed the etch pieces black. I did some detail painting on the panel and then drybrushed some highlights. Everything was glued together using white craft glue.

I did some fitting to see how the resin cockpit would fit in the fuselage, and discovered it will fit almost perfectly. The flat deck directly behind the seat will require some modification, but I don't think it will be a problem.

That's about it for Mother's Day. Everyone stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice pick, George!