Dragon 1/48th Ba394A Natter

Started by Walt · 37 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Ba394A, Bachem, Dragon, Luftwaffe, Natter, Rocket
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 1 month ago:

When this kit first came out I thought it was really cool and wanted it. At that time though my building was inconsistent I had plenty of kits, on my income, it was an expensive kit. Fast forward almost 30 years and I am at IPMS Nationals in LasVegas and I spot this little gem for only $15.
    I have a stash with so many wonderful kits, selecting my next project is always a challenge, but I thought this one would offer me the most fun in a fairly simple build...if I can contain myself.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

A wonderful choice, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Looks like a great kit, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 2 years, 1 month ago:

A very good choice! Revell also released this Dragon kit. Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Walt: No way would I want to “pilot” or ride in one of these things.
    Looks like a very interesting kit.

• Profile Photo

Started doing a little work on this this weekend. The fit of the fuselage components is excellent. I glued the vertical stabilizer to the horizontal and in the pictures it is just resting in the fuselage. The fuselage itself isn't even glued together. The side rockets I glued together, and did some preliminary cleanup on two and left two alone. You can see that the fit is good and it doesn't take much to ready.

I dipped the canopy in future, and it came out looking pretty nice but both pieces had molding flaws, but will barely noticeable once painted.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress on what looks to be a very nice kit, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Nice start - strapped in!

• Profile Photo

Great start, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Fitting does indeed look to be perfect.

• Profile Photo

I have been making some progress on the Natter itself. While not Tamiya...the fit is excellent, and so far no filler required at all. When I was at a local shop I bought some Mr.Cement SPB, which is a thin set liquid cement with a black dye/resin added. This glue works really nice, and shows you where it is applied. You can also see your seams after sanding and see if you missed any areas. I really like the way it works, and will definitely make sure I have some around to use always.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    P.S. This glue is really interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

I've hardly ever seen anyone do one of these, though I know a lot of people who have it in their stash. Planes of Fame has a 1:1 replica of this thing on display - it is small!

• Profile Photo

Great progress, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Very interesting sort of glue, will have a look for it on the upcoming modelling events.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years ago:

G'day Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman),
    I built but not quite finished this kit years ago (same boxing).
    It has sat in the box, until I got it out late briefly last year, because I intended to construct a diorama with the aircraft mounted on the supplied (and built) launch tower.
    Several years ago I picked up a second boxing (pic attached), intending this one to be a companion piece.
    I must get that diorama going again.

The glue is interesting too. I guess you can see that it gets into the joins.
    Be careful with the launch tower because the hand/foot holds are easy to knock off.
    Great progress so far - I'm looking forward to see the finished kit.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years ago:

Made some more progress, and really so far this kit is just a blast. Zero fit issues so far and pretty simple to build. I finished up the cockpit and closed it up and started on the tower. Michael, @michaelt, is absolutely correct the hand holds on the pole are ridiculously petite and there would be no good way to clean the seam once glued together with out breaking off most of them. I cut them off and then made wire ones that I will glue in after I get further along. I am thinking that the metal supports will be a bit of a challenge but will face that when I get there.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.