Eduard Wespen Bf 110F, Russia in the Summer of 1942

Started by Walt · 50 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf110, Eduard, Luftwaffe, model, Wespen
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 9 months ago:

I have been building models since 1973, and have been and always will be a lover of Monogram kits. I have also built a number of kits from limited run companies, and of course from the awesome Tamiya company. One company I have never built a kit from is from Eduard. I don't count that the P-38 I built since it was really Academy plastic, so to change that I am building this Eduard kit of the Bf 110F. The surface detail looks exquisite and with the photo-etch add ons the interior detail looks incredible. I have heard these are not easy builds, but I will take my time and work through it. The one good thing, is that with everything in the kit, I am building this one 100% out of the box, including the decals!

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

This is an excellent kit, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    When I did this kit more than one year ago, I was really pleased with it.
    I'm sure you will enjoy this one as well.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Yet another great entry, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 8 months ago:

I began assembly in the cockpit, deciding to use photo-etch in most locations, but I am going to use the decals for the instrument panel. I have already made a mistake, that I don't think most people will ever notice but just funny, it is my error, can't help but put some blame on Eduard for way they laid out the instructions and the pieces on the photo-etch. Still I like the way things are going generally, I find the directions a little vague in spots, and with all the different options you have to pay close attention. The fit of the parts has been excellent so far, but have all been little parts, lets see when we get to the bigger assemblies.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

This PE does add a lot of details to the interior, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Looking great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Great looking interior, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Any hints for your "mistake"? 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Nice choice Walt. I totally forgot that the dog was there - Now I want one of these kits too 🙂
    It appears that you managed to get the rudderpedals folded just right! They are one of the nice items Eduard includes in their LW profipack kits, and looks great. I shall be strapped in to follow this OOB build too @luftwaffe-birdman.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten, if you look at the bulkhead with the radios and other insturments, the two top left etch parts are supposed to be on the bottom, and the bottom on the top.

• Profile Photo

Hadn't you told me, I would have never seen it, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Great start on this topic and build, Walt. I look forward to future updates on this often ignored version of the Bf110 family.

• Profile Photo

Lots going on here, but found some time to focus on the cockpit area, I really don't like the photo-etch control levers but they are more scale then the plastic ones. The instrument panel is done using the kit decals. I am slightly out of alignment but it doesn't help the the decal is for a different panel either. One of the dials is completely blank. I think once in the kit it will look fine and really overall, I am pretty happy with the progress. Have some more work to do the the two halves of the fuselage and I will be ready for the clear coat, and then the washes.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 8 months ago:

If you're doing a 1/48 Eduard Bf-110, which is even more fiddly and ill-fitting than the first iteration of their 1/48 Fw-190s, you are in severe need of my maps to the minefield, which lead to success.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/cleaver/g/me/tc110c.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/cleaver/g/tmc110g2.htm

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the links Tom, @tcinla. I have read that these kits were not easy builds from the start. I have built two Monogram, and one Cyber Hobby Bf 110's and so far find this kit on par with the Cyber Hobby. Lots of fiddly bits but generally good fit. I have noticed though that on my fuselage halves, one half has pins but the other half does not have receiving holes.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 8 months ago:

That's about right. Cut off the pins.

• Profile Photo

Great progress on this challenging kit, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!