Eyes over Malta : 1 (F)/122 bf.109 F-4/R3

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 24 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Aufklarung, Bf 109, Hasegawa
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

My first entry for the group is based on the old Hasegawa 109 F kit in 1/48

Although Zvezda and Eduard newest kits are both far superior, I have had this kit in the stash for quite some time and fill it with a lot of AM goodies, such as resin hollow exhaust stacks, new decals (a great Xtradecals sheet focusing recon planes from the Luftwaffe), Aires resin cockpit and also a new spinner and paddles to replace the inaccurate plastic part, which is imo the only let down of all Hasegawa 109F/G kits.

For this specific machine I also added a camera port from Owl

This machine was produced by Erla factory and is one if the first batches that sports their typical zigzag camo pattern on the upper wings and heavy mottling on the fuselage sides

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is a wonderful entry, my friend @holzhamer!
    Love all the goodies you have collected!
    I can foresee we will see some great, "specific" entries, such as yours, in this super GB!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Splendid choice @holzhamer! I do have the parasol-kit 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great call Pedro! Someone really should compile a list of all the variants we are going to see! A recon plane over Malta is not one too many of us would have seen coming!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice entry Pedro , really unique .

You have to be very careful in choosing the aircraft that you will build, because in reality there were only two of these aircrafts , those used by Adolf Galland. The F-6 version existed only as prototype with the exception of two machines equiped with extra wing cannons and camera for two Galland's "special F" airplanes that coded as F-6 . (My opinion is) the airplane that showed in Xtradecal sheet , probably is a G-2/R2 that looks very simillar to F-4 , which inadvertently ended up being referred to as F-6 possibly also due to call numbers on fuselage (F6+TH) .

In any case , an interesting theme , I will follow close !

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice choice Pedro!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great entry, Pedro.
    For sure it will be in good hands with you.

• Profile Photo

@faraomike Michael, thank you for bringing up my attention to the F-6 version. True that Xtradecal instructions labels this machine with the -6 suffix, but I didn’t see that until now, I just followed another wrong source for this, my bad.
    You are right about the fact that the F-5/-6 versions were apparently never put in production. Those two specially modified F machines for Galland’s hands are often called by the -6 name but that was a bogus only to masquerade them as regular production machines when if fact they were not.
    There is at least one report of lost F-6 machine by 1(F)/122 unit, but typos or misidentification were a common thing in those war reports.
    The Aufklarüng staffel was definitely equipped with Recon camera 109 Fs, not early Gs, and judging by the photos they were F-4/U3 machines, all made by Erla factory in the first semester of 1941, likely with the central axis 15mm cannon removed but still equipped with the MG17s above the engine.

@airbum Erik, You know I used to own Hobbycraft’s 109 G-2 kit back in Twentieth century, and that kit had a very nice sun-shade in it...too bad I swapped long ago, it would be a nice diorama alright, but I’m not that sure I could paint the shades stripes 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    You definitely have my attention with this build. I have never seen a 109 built like this one that was used by a reconnaissance unit before. This is going to be a good one...

Thanks for posting ! 🙂

• Profile Photo

@lgardner Louis, it’s my pleasure to participate in this wonderful GB, another one of your brainchild themes. Judging by the flood of entries I suspect it will gather similar enthusiasm as your older EoJ GB, if not more!
    Cheers mate

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Really nice choice, Pedro. I hope you do it in a diorama complete with sunshade - it would give it an air of spontaneity and humor, I think. I am impressed with your encyclopedic knowledge of 109 variants! I myself don't get too worried about precise details, as long as I have some well-sourced references - especially period pics - for the aircraft I want to do. I am sure this one will be splendid.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hoping I don't get annoyed, look what I found for you! It's the "brother" of the aircraft you are interested in , probably an F-4/R (2 to 5) as described .
    I am afraid that the version you are referring to is wrong or concerns a later type (G to K) eg G-4/U3 , G-6/U3 etc.
    Hope to help a little ...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This should be a cool build, Michael (@holzhamer). I am looking forward to you incorporating all of the extra goodies into this kit, along with the interesting paint scheme.

• Profile Photo

This is turning into a Friedrich conundrum 🙂

Michael, that photo is new to me and shows something interesting, the demarcation line of the 74/75 in the upper wing is not the sawtooth pattern shown in photos of other staffel machines.

Perhaps that one wasn’t made in the same batch, or even not made by Erla Factory. One needs the werk number to trace that.

However the machine I want to build is, and it should be one of the 36 F-4/R3 made in the second half of 1941, or less probably an R4 of which only one machine was produced.

Anyway time to start building...

• Profile Photo

Hasegawa’s 109 F is a very straightforward, simple kit to build, so let’s complicate things a bit 🙂

Owl camera set is also simple to add, you get the fairing for the camera opening, clear plastic to replicate the lens and a tiny addition to the IP, that gives the control box that allowed the pilot to operate the camera

As you can see the box has already been painted RLM 66.

The rather basic interior is best replaced by some AM set should you want to display an open canopy [3]

This one is the Aires set, which has been painted for years.

I’m seriously considering putting a pilot and have the plane inflight position

but the figure seems a tad bigger than the resin cockpit so let’s see how it goes