Heinkell He-111 1/48 Revell-Monogram

Started by Colin Gomez · 65 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Here is one from the Cabinet of Doom.

I like the aircraft and the kit but have only built 3 other multi-engine 1/48 builds in my modelling career so far (G4m Betty, P-38J, and DH Mosquito), so each is a challenge. I have already worked on it quite a bit, having painted and assembled some Eduard etch for the cockpit and painted the interior. The major kit components have been cleaned up and test-fitted. The kit has engraved panel lines and a good shape. I see no major hurdles for getting it done. What held me up earlier was having other more interesting projects and also a sense of ambivalence about doing all the etch when it is mostly invisible inside the fuselage (with its thick windows). I have a preference for the last torpedo-carrying variant in the Eagle Cal decals but also rather like the desert scheme. I'll decide later. I hope this will be of some interest in the GB. Let me know if you are at all keen on this one, I need some motivation to get it done, finally.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Both those scheme choices are fantastic Colin! I’ve always liked desert schemes for Luftwaffe subjects - but the torpedo-carrier looks great too.

Etch is a funny business! I’ve started picking a choosing. I always use the IP and anything clearly visible. And yes the photos of a fully completed interior are always a milestone, but I have to say sometimes I let the fiddly bits go!

Hope you decide to go back to this one, it is an iconic Luftwaffe subject!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Do the torpedo version from the Arctic convoy battles. The Desert airplane was a "squadron hack" for transport. It's a nice kit and hasn't really been replaced by the UCM kits.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is a wonderful entry, my friend @coling! The Monogram kit is really nice and solid, builds well, your excellent skills will tackle it (and they already do!) in the best possible manner.

I would also go for the torpedo version: to my eyes, it looks more "111" than any other He-111 (go figure 🙂 )

Ad for the motivation, please let me state that I cannot wait to see a "Coliin Gomez" built 111!

Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The 111 is a great choice, Colin @coling
    No matter what scheme, it looks great.
    That instrumentation panel looks awesome.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 11 months ago:

You've got a head start on this one, Colin, whichever scheme you choose will look great, but my favourite is also the torpedo one.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Seems like there is a round of votes here, and for what it's worth I think the desert plane looks awesome!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great pick, Colin! I’ve got one on the go too.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I'm excited to see a couple He-111s being built in this project! I found one on consignment a few years ago, I'm hoping you guys will inspire me to have a go at it soon. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thank you all for the enthusiastic response! I will go for the torpedo armed plane. I am glad you pointed out the banal mission of the desert version, Tom. I like desert schemes but I may save those colors for my 1/32 Bf-110. Not part of this GB yet but who knows?

Today, I dealt with the etch components that were holding me up. I studied every pic I could of the fuselage/cabin, including builds of the 1/32 version, as well as period and museum birds. I realized I had to build a floor for a number of the etch pieces to sit on - Eduard's suggestions have you put large bits in a kind of limbo glued to the fuselage sides. In fact, the crude drawings to illustrate where things go are amongst the worst I have ever seen. In putting this together I realized that almost nothing would be seen through the four little rectangular windows but a fair bit could be seen through the gunner's cupola. I therefore focused on getting everything below this opening as detailed as I could. After the better part of a day, most of the etch is in.

Some parts were quite challenging and had to be bent around custom made forms (in this case, a carved popsicle stick, in less grandiose terms). I will paint tomorrow, with some lightened overspray of the German Grey to bring out the surfaces details and ribbing. I can close up the fuselage as soon as that is done, because the cockpit can be built up after the fuselage halves are glued together. The ring shaped structure is what the dorsal gunner climbs up on. I built it from styrene rod and stretched sprue. I wasn't going for super fine detail but I think it looks pretty good, especially since it will only be partly seen through the gunner's opening. I will be take more time and care with the cockpit etch but I hope to have that done this week. Meanwhile, more progress on the my SuE and A-4 to report over in the Falklands GB. Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is some amazing internal detail, my friend @coling! You did a splendid job so far, practically on your own research, as PE instructions left a lot to be desired.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Some serious work done, Colin.
    A lot of detailing in that interior, always one of my favorite parts to work on.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I love Revell/Monogram kits, Colin (@coling). With the TLC you are giving it, I am sure it will come out great. Looking forward to the build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros, John and George.

Spiros, I realized as I got back to work on the He 111 that what stopped me building the kit in the first place was the vagueness of the PE instructions. Also, how much to do when it couldn't be seen (as mentioned in the intro). I have now used most of the etch and that only took me about a day, with another day today for repainting and adding the windows. I wouldn't say it was easy but it was worth the effort. I will post a couple of pics with everything in place just before I close up the fuselage (which should be tomorrow).

John, I agree that interiors are generally the most fun to do, next to getting the decals on or removing the canopy masks (as the penultimate stage). This interior was a bit off-putting only for the ambiguity. I like to know what I am building and know that it will be seen.

I agree with you, George. Revell/Monogram kits are great, as long as you don't mind the flash and some fit issues. They generally have very accurate shape, some good interiors and robust engineering. I have a B-26 started with an Eduard color etch set and a vac canopy. The etch is just enough to compliment the kit detail and display the excellent interior - the vac canopy allows better viewing than the thicker kit version. The Marauder is visible in the Cabinet of Doom pic above, so I keep it in view to remind me to go back to it. I also want to get to do the Air Apaches B-25 gunship and a B-17 as Chow Hound with aftermarket decals. These are calling me from my stash after my other builds are done.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Colin, @coling
    This is a fantastic build, and I have been wanting to comment on it earlier, but lately I have not had much extra spare time. I have built one of these Monogram He-111's and also started one of the new tool ICM kits. This was about 3 years ago, and I have started a build thread on it.

The interior of the Monogram kit is OK in the cockpit area, but it lacks the internal details every where else. The ICM kit has a lot more interior details and also includes two engines for the plane, that are made in a manner that one could display the model with the engine panels removed. This feature would lend itself nicely to a maintenance diorama scene.

However, please don't think I am bashing the Monogram version as I am not. I enjoyed building the Monogram kit, and I have 3 or 4 more of them left in the stash, with one being the exact same boxing as yours. I had to use some filler on mine, but that's expected.

I will eventually end up starting a new build thread on the ICM Heinkel. It's a wonderful kit, and deserves to be finished. Here's a link to the build journal on both of the 111's I started. It was part of the Kasserine Pass group build we had a few years back. There is a lot of information and pictures here that will hopefully be helpful to you along the way.

https://imodeler.com/groups/battle-of-kasserine-passtunisia-campaign-build-group/forum/topic/1-48-scale-monogram-he-111-h-stab-stg-3-north-africa-1942-43/

I built the Monogram kit using the exact same decals you have. I chose to do the desert scheme on the Monogram 111. The decals are among the best I have ever used. The snuggle down nice and presented no problems at all.

I ended up making a small mistake when I was assembling the bomb racks to the lower wing opening for the bomb bay on the ICM kit. This tiny error was enough to make everything else in this area not fit as good as it could have. I ended up needing filler around the bomb bay opening and gondola areas.

This was the result of my sloppy building, and not a fault of the kit. Topping this misadventure, I ended up knocking over a bottle of liquid glue, some off which landed on the upper wing surfaces... Luckily this didn't do as much damage as it could have, and since them, most of it has been simply sanded away with 600 grit paper.

Mow after seeing all of these wonderful He-111's pop up her, you guys are tempting me to drag the ICM back off the shelf of doom and finish her up...