Revell Henschel Hs129B2

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 96 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks for starting this groupbuild, Louis @lgardner
    Really looking forward to all the beautiful builds that will be posted here.
    Besides the WIP build, this will be my first entry in a specific group build.
    I want to start with the Henschel Hs129 from Revell in 1/48 scale.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A tin opener - great choice! I am strapped in for the action John!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

G'day @johnb,
    This is a great kit of a great aircraft.
    I built two of these in 2017/18 - a Revell boxed B-2 and a Hasegawa B-3.
    The B-3 has an electric motor from a Hasegawa Fw190A-3 kit running the port propeller.
    I'm looking forward to watching your build progress.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

What an amazing entry, my friend @johnb!
    I have the same kit, I think it is a Hasegawa reboxing with Cartograf decals!
    Would love to build it for this amazing GB, too, so I am strapped in to see your masterpiece emerging!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Bring on the big guns, John!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Good morning John, good 1st choice, it was almost mine but opted with the 262 to start with. I was going to ask but I think a couple of our fine builders already answered this is the Hasegawa plastic in the Revell boxing. Like Erik I'm strapped in.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great pick, John. We rarely see these built.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Oh , those are so cool! This will be a fine project no doubt John, and I'm excited to see the final result. I built the old AMT Hs-129 many years ago. Not long after I did, I entered two tanks models in a contest held in Austin at Camp Mabry. It was also open to any ground-attack aircraft and so I thought, what the heck, I'll enter her for grins too. Well, it's not much of a kit and I didn't expect any prizes for it. I sure didn't have to worry about that because right beside her on the table was a beautiful Hasegawa kit of the same plane, built by the estimable Milton Bell of Austin. His model made mine look pretty darned shabby!

Have you decided on the armament yet? I went with that big, honking 75mm gun in the under-fuselage cupola. I also faired over the lower guns mounted on the forward fuselage. It's one of the few models I've done that hasn't had a true "photo session" at our airport. One o' days, I'll get that done too!

Good luck with your 129! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Gary @garybrantley
    At this stage I'm opting for the 30mm cannon. Less chance to knock it off.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Just noticed your entry now John, and it’s a fine choice of subject with a great kit. I am considering building mine later on the GB. I purchased a Master barrel for the Mk.103 cannon just because it’s far better than the plastic part, though if you want to build yours with the Mk.101 cannon version apparently there’s no replacement available, at least in brass or metal. Looking forward to see your build, which plane are you planning to build?

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A fine choice, John. Even though I really like the lines of this aircraft, it is one of the few I don't yet have in my stash. I am looking forward to see it come to life through your careful craftsmanship. Do you have specific makings in mind? I think there are some pretty eye-catching color schemes/decals out there.

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer, not sure yet which canon I will mount. I did order some PE for this build. Good idea to check for the canon as well.
    @coling, agree, there are so many schemes available for the 129, I'm still in doubt what to choose.

• Profile Photo

Just unpacked the box.
    Seven sprues, five larger ones and two small ones containg nicely formed parts.
    Not that detailed but acceptable and with possibilities for improvements.
    Clear parts look decent.
    Decals look ok but without the swastika, so I will need to search my spare decals to find correct ones.
    The kit looks decent and I'm eager to start with it.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is a nice kit, my friend @johnb , with a room for improvement, as you pointed out!
    Looking forward to see it put together.
    Thanks for the nice presentation!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

John, @johnb
    You’re absolutely welcome as it was my pleasure inviting my friends to this Luftwaffe group build. I also like the choice of kit you made. I have 3 of them in the stash and I have never built one. The only Hs-129’s that I have built were the old ESCI kit and as a kid I built the 1/72 scale Lindberg model.

I will definitely be watching this journal for updates. Thanks for starting the journal.