Ju-87D-8 Night Stuka -1/32

Started by Colin Gomez · 14 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I am adding this to the GB since I haven't seen any Stuka builds proposed yet and have been meaning to build this for a long time. It will be my first project relating to the Italian Campaign. More to come on the Allied side in other forums elsewhere. I will do it with the kit decals and the Eduard interior detail set shown. I am looking forward to using my Iwata Custom Micron to do the freehand "wellenmuster" squiggles. It will probably take a lot of practice on test models to get the hang of this kind of camo - the large scale Stuka is also a large canvas and more forgiving of errors along the way, I hope. At least I will enjoy not having to worry about the color of wheel wells on this one!

I have ten photos of Ju-87s of Nachtschlachtgruppe 9, Italy that I found on-line. Most are pretty low resolution and it is hard to see how defined the Balkenkreuzes were in relation to the squiggle camo (i.e. if they were painted over or not). The numbers and swastikas and even stenciling look like they were well defined, though. Profiles paintings show them well-defined. Perhaps markings were re-applied over the squiggles. Anyone have a book with clearer pics?

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Fancy plane, should be fun to paint

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A Stuka is always an impressive machine . Much more with this camo scheme . Hasegawa's Ju87 is a really nice kit and with the Custom Micron by hand (literally one of the best airbrushes globally) , do not worry about the result . I have this airbrush , he is fearless in the face of any camo , just feed him with a good thinned color and shoot !
    Perfect choice for both (kit & airbrush) I will follow 100% !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Another really great entry, my friend @coling! This will be a big bird!
    I am sure you will perform miracles with your Iwata.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great entry, Colin. @coling
    Especially with this camouflage scheme.
    With this Micron, you are already on the right track and I'm sure you will get this pattern done.
    Looking forward to your build to get inspered and start my Airfix Stuka as well.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Colin, @coling
    This Stuka kit is supposed to be a great model. It should also be an interesting one to paint in the same scheme as on the box top. I can remember many years ago when I would by a model mainly based off the box top art work. Sometimes I still do !

I have two of the smaller 1/48 Hasegawa / Revell Ju-87B/R's and one of the later Hasegawa D models like yours. The other Ju-87 I have is in 1/32 scale. It's the ancient one that Revell released in the late 1960's / early 70's. This kit is loaded with stuff the real Stuka had, like raised rivets, and all other kinds of drag inducing parts on the airframe. I'm a big fan of the Ju-87, so you know I will definitely be watching this one for updates. I'll also check my books to see if I have any pictures to share with you.

Thanks for starting another build for the group. Yours are always top notch !

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Thank you , Pedro, Michael, Spiros, John and Louis. Sorry I haven't replied or updated in some time. I have not been posting for nearly a month due to life stresses. I am glad to get back into modeling and sharing again to get some of that behind me.

Here is an update on the Stuka build. I have included quite a few pics of the interior work, since it is nice demo of the results you can get from the kit detail married to the Eduard color etch set. I have photographed it with and without sidewalls built up to show how the detail gradually comes together into its full depth. I spent awhile getting the right shade of RLM 66 to match the etch tones. This entailed spraying on a Flat Black pre-shade, out of bottle Tamiya XF-63 German Gray followed by a dusting of the same lightened considerably with Flat White.

After a coat of Tamiya Clear, I did further highlighting with an oil wash. Although many of the knobs on the controls were pre-painted, I painted them again to enhance their appearance and thickness. I used most of the etch set which required painting for the ammo boxes, gunners seat bracing, pilots forward viewing window and various boxes, i did not use the etch seat. I did not feel it was particularly accurate representation of the real airplane's armored seat and also reasoned that the kit seat would support the pressure of the etch belts better as they were pushed down and bent into conformity. I did thin the seat plastic a bit by sanding, however. I also added a layer of styrene to give depth and texture to the seat pad. The leather of the pad and headrest was painted Tamiya Red Brown. The results look good to me. I used early Eduard Luftwaffe seat belts, which had to be painted. I dispensed with the metal strips for the harness however and used the buckles in the set with paper belts I made myself. These were much easier to handle, bend and glue in than etch. I have not done the rear guns yet as these will be left to late in assembly painting. I will probably do the barrels with the etch I have, but I may find resin replacements. Overall, as the pit finally came together, I liked the results.

I have now closed up the fuselage, attached the wings and tail and filled all gaps with stretched sprue, welded in with liquid glue.

I find this is cleanest and most precise method to fill gaps without leaving excessive residue of plastic or glue. The main gaps are between the inverted gull wing joins and around the wells for the wheels to attach. I have attached the cowling and propeller assemble with tape only for now as I am still working on the intake screening. Overall, I really like the lines of the Stuka. For all the conventional talk of its ungainliness, I think the more streamlined later models are really rather sleek and hyper-aggressive-looking. This one will be soon ready for the spray booth. I will attach the wheels and clear parts shortly and sand all filled gaps. Here is my "basket' of wheels and undercarriage assemblies for the Heinkell, Bf-109s, and Stuka about to be painted in RLM colors and black tones tomorrow.

So, that's it for now. I hope you like the progress. I should think it's a pretty good ad for Eduard photo-etch,even if it was also enhanced with some modelling skills.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Nice work. I think that Greymatter Figures has Jerry Rutman's resin/white metal conversion to do the landing gear without the spats. Every photo I have seen of the D-8 night Stukas has them without the streamlined gear housing.

This is what I did.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Awesome modelling Colin @coling
    That interior is looking very realistic and to my opinion the seatbelts are great.
    Love the way you filled those gaps using stretched sprue.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Glad to have you back, my friend @coling!
    And what a comeback! This is such a great cockpit, with amazing details. Rest of the plane progress is great, too, and I love the way you deal with those nasty gaps.
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks for your feedback , Tom. I really like the NSG. 9 Stuka build you did - it is one of my favorites on file. I really like your airbrushing of the wellenmuster squiggles. It must be hard to get the separation between squiggles as opposed to just overlapping them. Photos show both kinds of application on Stukas for this unit. I'd be curious what airbrush you used and how difficult it was to do in the end. Speaking of photos, I have 13 wartime pics of NSG 9 Stukas in Italy - all but one of them - which is not clear - show wheels with spats. Do you have the Ghost Bombers book or some other good photo sources that show wheels with no spats? I do like the look of the wheels with spats removed but I didn't have a clear pic of a real aircraft in that state.

Thanks, John for your kind words. I haven't been as dedicated as you in getting my projects done but I am moving along fairly steadily now. This will be quite a simple build with the interior now finished.

Thanks, Spiros. The Eduard etch is some of the best I have worked with. I took more time and care then usual so as not to bend anything the wrong way and it worked out well. It will be some challenge to do the photo-etch gun barrels. If those turn out OK, I may forge ahead with the armament set for the Revell B-17G I am playing around with now. So many models, so little time.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 9 months ago:

@coling - all my airbrushing is done with one of my (several) Passche-H airbrushes with a #1 tip and paint cone, at 13-15 psi on the compressor.

The photos I had were in the old Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings, Vol. II, and "Stuka at War." Both right now in a box I can't identify in the garage.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 9 months ago:

That is some massive progress Colin! I do like your seatbelts if I should point one item, but overall this is looking great. I have a few pictures of stukas without spats, and in order not to infringe copyright I have sent them to you in a PM. They are from the splendid series from Luftfahrtverlag START and their "Luftwaffe im Focus" series - highly reccomended!

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Good going so far. These night Stukas are pretty cool. I agree that they shouldn't have the wheel spats (great work Tom!). You can have some real fun with the camo. Looking fwd to seeing it progress.