Lukgraph 1/32 scale Focke-Wulf Fw56 ’Stösser’

Started by Paul Higgins · 34 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Focke-Wulf, Luftwaffe, Lukgraph, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Good morning, guys...

Firstly, I should say thanks to Louis for keeping me right on getting into this GB, and also for the invite to join it... :-).

So, this is my initial build and hopefully a few more to come during the course of the year. Lukgraph is a Polish company and some of their subjects at least - like this one - are resin kits. It is nice to see some of the more less-mentioned aircraft types getting a look in on the market, although admittedly they can be a little more expensive... I suppose that's the price we pay for something unusual in our collections.

The kit is partially built and I was afraid it would be completed before this GB started, but due to various delays, not least work, it is only about half way done at present. There are some interesting colour schemes for this one but I would like to make a modification but can't find a preferred colour scheme to match, so I may resort to artistic modelling licence... I'll see how things go.

So, much of the kit is like a plastic injection moulded kit, with the exception of the wing sections, which are single resin pieces, therefore relatively heavy. All support struts for the wings and undercarriage have thin metal wires thorugh them to add extra strength... a nice touch.

I've got some photos of the build so far, so I hope to load them up over the weekend... more to follow in due course.

I like the selction of models you've all flagged up so far and look forward to seeing the progress to their end result. I wish you well... Hals- und Beinbruch, alle Kameraden!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Fantastic Paul - I’ve wanted to see someone have a crack at a Lukgraph kit! They look really very good. Great choice! Looking forward to the photos!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Danke Paul. Looking forward to follow this very interesting kit taking shape here.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great entry, Paul!
    Looking forward to see a Lukgraph kit done, as well!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Guten Morgen, Paul, that is such a neat project, unusual and perfect for this GB. One of the values of such a project on a rare aircraft from a rarely seen kit from a company most have probably never heard of. A subject such as this brings to light not only this particular plane but on the quality of the model itself. Good show.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking forward to this build, Paul.
    Lukgraph is unknown to me so I'm curious to see how the build progresses.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great pick, Paul! Looking forward to seeing it build up.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I'm interested to see what one of those Lukgraph resin kits looks like.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hi, Guys... so, as promised, here are my photos of the build so far.

I started with the wing sections. There is a small centre insert which has openings for the pins on the ends of the wings, but not all were aligning properly. I decided to open the holes a bit wider and removed one resin pin from each wing - front pin on one, and the rear pin on the opposite - so that, along with the integral brass rods, there would still be sufficient strength to hold things in place. The wings have 10mm of dihedral at the tips compared to the insert.

I then turned to the fuselage and the cockpit framing. RLM02 grey/green was applied to these pieces and the fuselage thereafter blackwashed to show a degree of regular use; the framing consisted of two side section which had precise-length struts to be attached at various points, the ones at the extreme rear being the most tricky as you have to draw the frames towards each other without snapping them. The other parts can then be added - the cockpit floor, pedals, control column, dashboard, rear bulkhead and the seat with the belts already painted and attached.

Once the fuselage halves were brought together, the joints needed tidied up. The alignment is pretty good, but even with some tidy-up measures prior to closing the fuselage, there were still roungh edges where the resin plinths had been removed. I placed strips of Tamiya tape either side of the join lines and applied Humbrol filler along their lengths, thus localising its application to exactly where it was needed. It was easier on the undersurfaces, but on the uppr rear fuselage, it was quite tricky as the join line is exactly where the peak of the central frame was. This should be nice and noticeably prominent at the top, so I had to carefully thin out the filler bearing that in mind.

Next, I built and painted the engine assembly and inserted it into the model, for posterity, really, as it won't be seen after the cowling goes on. I am happy enough to have a photographic record of its existence. I didn't intend to be removing the cowing to show it off, largely because there are two MGs over the top if it and this would really inhibit getting the main cowling cover off.

The tailplane and control surfaces are very good, and while the may need a little sanding to remove some rough edges, there is nothing particularly difficult about attaching them. The main horizontal tail has location pins to align it to the top of the tail, but when doing so, it matched at the rear but fell short at the front of the raised tail platform. I decided instead to remove the pins, and shunt the tailplane forward to match the front, and make up the shortfall at the back using plastic card. This was by far the more easy routine to follow.

The windshield is something you have to make up yourself. Clear plastic is provided and outlines of the shape of each windshield panel are provided for your to accomplish this. There are also photo-etched frames to be attached to the windshield, but I have already distorted one of those so I will probably default to using thin strips of painted Tamiya tape for the frames.

So, this is where I am at just now. A thin coat of Humbrol matt pale grey was applied by brush and went on very well. I had to tidy up a few rough edges, particularly on the struts, but thereafter everything was coated with two thin coats of Humbrol matt black - that really put me in mind of doing some 'all black' WW2 nightfighters. It looks really eye-catching as it is. At time of writing, I have applied one coat of 'Future', and will apply a second coat after this post, and leave things to dry out. I may start looking out codes and markings thereafter. Tomorrow is a public holiday here, so no work to go to... :-). I intend ot get some more of this build under my belt then.

In conclusion for now, I would say that even taking the almost unavoidable rough edges associated with producing a resin kit into account, the interior detail is fine although I'm sure super detailers would want to go further. Even if the cockpit access panels are lowered, I'm not sure you'd see much more by way of internal detail. Externally, the detail looks very nice, and is enhanced under the wings and on one fuselage side by small photo-etched access panels which, once painted over, look the part. There are one or two places where the instructions don't really help to solve a conundrum as to where something should go but again, we are all capable model builders to be able to do a little research to get round that.

There are markings for no less than ten colour schemes - three German, one Austrian, one Dutch, one Bulgarian, three Hungarian and one in Republican Spanish Civil War markings. You certainly get your money's worth with this one.

I hope you like the progress so far... more to follow in due course... ;-).

Regards,

Paul

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, Paul! Fantastic progress up to this point! Thanks for the detailed description. I, like many here I'd imagine, have looked at the subjects that Lukgraph have been producing and wondered just how well they go together. Expensive - but really fantastic planes that are not always seen.

I have one question - and I can see your cutting tool and significant sanding remains in one of the photos. The photos on the Lukgraph website show the kits displayed without the added chucks of resin that you usually needed to remove. I can see the small parts are still attached to blocks. Are large parts still attached to casting blocks or are they cleaned up to some extent?

Looking forward to seeing the wings and paint scheme shape up! Best of luck with this!

• Profile Photo

Hi, Paul...

Thanks for your comments... :-). As you say, most of the smaller parts in the kit are still attached to resin plinths and are easy enough to detach. The wings are single pieces without any obvious sign of having previously been attached to a plinth. The fuselage halves, engine cowling and front piece (directly behind the propellor) are all separate pieces with no plingths, but the undersides of the fuselage halves are the roughest part of the kit and seem to be sufficiently so as to infer that they did have plinths, but these were removed prior to being bagged and distributed. The fuselage halves, and engine cowling and front piece also come taped together with company adhesive tape, as some of the internet photos also show. The main wing struts are a little rough around the edges and need some TLC. This kit dates from at least 2016 but I understand there are more resin kits announced to be released soon, so perhaps the standard will be slightly improved, but overall, I can't really fault it.

regards,

Paul

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Some great progress, Paul.
    Impressive to see those complex airframes they used in those years.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is such meticulous work, Paul.
    Looking fantastic already!

• Profile Photo

John/Spiros... thanks for your comments. Just abut to start doing some work on it today. It's a dull, wet day in this part of the world, so very conducive to emersing myself in working on a model. Hope yours are coming along well, too.

Regards,

Paul

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@paulh thank you for a very thorough log. The Stösser is progressing well in the wet springweather 🙂