Messerschmitt Bf-109G-6 1/32 – two versions

• 11 posts
  • Last reply 2 days, 3 hours ago
Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 posts
  • Colin Gomez said 1 week ago:

I will at some point contribute two 1/32nd scale versions of the 109G-6. I haven’t built a 109 for more than 10 years. The last worth mentioning was the Tamiya 1/48th kit 109e-4 trop.

I don’t think it is worth a whole article, but it was a learning experience. Anyway, I have had the Hasegawa 109G-6 in my stash for some time.

As you can see, I have the Eagle Parts replacement spinner, Barracuda cannon pods, Yahu IP and a variety of decals squirreled away with the kit.

My plan for this GB is to complete the Hasegawa kit as the aircraft of Lt Alfred Hammer, Staffelfuhrer of 6/JG 53. I always liked the Eagle Cals markings for JG-53 – especially the wide red fuselage band and yellow highlights – just not the anonymity of Yellow 6. I will switch the 6 to a 1, pirated from the Aeromaster set shown or from the kit decals. That will give me Hammer’s bird.

I also have the newer Revell 109G6, which I will do with the very attractive kit decals (my favorite colors for the G6, I think).

These are for Hptm. Franz Dorr of Stab III/JG 5, Gossen, Norway 1945.

I have replacement chin intake, cannon bulge and intakes in resin for this kit. They are drop-in replacements for the kit parts so shouldn’t be a chore. I am happy to do a G6 with the later tail and Erla hood. Otherwise, it should be an interesting build comparison with the Hasegawa.

This will be a slow start as I am determined to get by Super Etendard and A-4B well on their way in the Falklands/Malvinas theme. However, there is nothing like juggling kits to keep up the momentum so I may get to the 109s in the next week or so.

• Paul Barber said 1 week ago:

Fantastic again Colin, I reckon I’ll be drifting to 1/32 more once the stash of 1/48th stuff thins. Can’t wait to see these come to life!!

• Tom Cleaver said 1 week ago:

You’ll find those are both very nice kits, though both follow very different paths to get to a similar final result.

• Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week ago:

Another two great choices, @coling!
    I have heard the basic Hasegawa (and the Revell reboxes) are really nice kits. I also love your extras.
    It’s such a great idea to enter a GB, such as this wonderful GB, with a number of projects from the start, even if you have many ongoing projects already: it indeed creates a motivating momentum for the builder, but also sparkles the GB with interest !
    Looking forward to them!

• John vd Biggelaar said 6 days, 22 hours ago:

Wonderful choice as well, Colin @coling
    109’s are beautiful aircraft and your builds will showing that when finished.
    Looking forward to them.

• Pedro L. Rocha said 6 days, 21 hours ago:

Either are great choices Colin!
    Looking forward for paint sessions

• Erik Gjørup said 6 days, 19 hours ago:

Great pair – looking forward to you starting these up.

• Michael Ezat said 5 days, 23 hours ago:

Not one but two colorful G-6 ?
    Colin , you are misleading us 🙂 !
    Perfect choice , looking forward to the sequel …

• Colin Gomez said 4 days, 6 hours ago:

Thanks, guys. I have a very brief update, just to show how I am literally building these kits side by side. As Tom mentioned, they have very different lay-outs and parts design.

The Hasegawa has fewer cockpit parts and has sidewall detail molded tot he inside of the fuselage. The Revell kit has separate sidewall panels with finer detail, very much like the early Eduard etch set for the 109G. The Revell kit also has a separate cockpit fuel pipe (the yellow pipe on the starboard side) whereas Hasegawa has the same pipe molded crudely into a larger sidewall piece. Since the fuel pipe had a viewing window, Revell has thought to mold it in clear styrene. Nice touch. Overall, the Hasegawa kit would be easier and quicker to build but will need work to get details right (like replacing that fuel pipe (maybe with stretched clear sprue). I have sanded off the molded on seatbelts on the Revell kit.

To my chagrin, I discovered I had no Luftwaffe seat belts or rudder pedals on hand in etch in 1/32. I have ordered these on Ebay and they should get here in a week or so. For now I will detail and paint other parts of the interior of each model except for those parts. I also added the tail section to each fuselage half of the Hasegawa kit (it fits perrfectly this way) and did the late G/K tail for the Revell kit. Overall, it is interesting how much lighter and more brittle the Revell plastic is compared to what Haegawa uses. However, it is not as fragile or thin as it seems, given the weight, and it sands down nicely where needed. For some reason the fuselages look quite different in these pics but they match up fine. Both kits are accurate with great detail, with the Revell somewhat more delicate and refined in small details and overall finish. I found some photos of Dorr’s aircraft in Norway.

Such pics will be helpful and I am looking for more. That’s it for now. More to come soon.

• Spiros Pendedekas said 3 days, 23 hours ago:

Looking great, my friend @coling!
    I have also noticed that Revell plastic is at some cases on the brittle/crumbly side, making detaching small bits from the sprues a delicate operation. But, as you pointed out, it can be sanded well.
    Interesting to see the different approaches Hasegawa and Revell have chosen to depict the G-6 (whereas I at fist had thought the Revell is a rebox of Hasegawa….).

• George R Blair Jr said 2 days, 3 hours ago:

Great choices, Colin (@coling). I am looking forward to seeing which paint schemes you use.

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 posts