Messerschmitt Bf109E Combo build

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 384 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109E, Hasegawa, Messerschmitt, Tamiya, Werner Schroeder
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Wings mounted after I attached the flaps and slats, both in lowered position. Again getting that done was fairly simple on this kit.

Nose machine guns drilled a bit to make them look more realistic.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, my friend @johnb! Flaps and slats lowered result in a very dynamic posture. Guns look great!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I have found some really good resources that cover the Condor Legion in great detail. The book is based on recently discovered Luftwaffe records from the period. The records confirm that these early 109s arrived in Spain wearing RLM 01. I also discovered I had a couple of books in my library that cover Luftwaffe aircraft that were captured by Russia. I found a number of good photos that confirm the red panels on 6x15, the 109 captured and eventually sent to Russia.

I have the plane nearly ready for paint. The canopies were problem-children. One of the reviews I read on this plane said they had to remove a lot of the canopies before they would fit. This review was the same one who said they had to remove significant portions of the wheel wells to get the wings to fit, so I was hoping he was also wrong about the canopies. Trial fitting of the canopies showed that the three piece canopy would not fit in the space provided. I removed as much of the forward canopy as I dared and then glued it in place. I did the same for rear canopy section. The center section still needed some significant trimming, but I eventually got it to fit.

I hope to paint tomorrow. I have to admit I am running out of momentum on this build. Maybe getting the 109 into the spray booth will get things moving again. Still having trouble importing photos. I took 3 yesterday and none would import. Today I got half of my photos to import, but I still don't know why they import one day but not the next. Cheers everyone.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Arrived in time to follow both of you guys!

• Profile Photo

Great resources, my friend @gblair! Your 109 looks great and I am sure mojo will be regenerated upon entering the spray booth!

• Profile Photo

Hi, Marcus (@mvtb). Welcome to the combo build.

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). I still need to figure out how to attack the RLM 01, but I think that will come soon.

• Profile Photo

Very nice progressing on your 109, George @gblair
    Looking forward to see it painted.
    Regarding those pictures, I'm still suffering to upload them as well from time to time. No idea what could be the cause.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I tried your idea about the orientation of the photos making a difference when uploading. It didn't seem to make a difference for me. Usually I can get about 50% of my photos to upload, but sometimes it is as low as 20%.

• Profile Photo

Got some painting done today. I wanted to create a finish similar to what you see in the photos, which is RLM 01 that is tough to distinguish from light gray. I mixed 75% Tamiya Aluminum with 25% Tamiya Light Gray and sprayed it on. I think it looks pretty cool, but I plan to let it dry overnight and re-evaluate. I also did some work on the prop. This plane had one of the early 2-blade wooden props which was painted a light gray on the front of the props and black/dark gray on the back. The photos show the leading edges are very worn, allowing the wood prop to show along the leading edges. I painted the prop brown, then sprayed on some Worn Effect fluid, followed by Vallejo Modelair light gray and dark gray. I scrubbed a little with a wet paintbrush and got the effect I was looking for. Hopefully some more painting tomorrow. Cheers

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Had some time before dinner and tried some painting effects. In the period photos, all of these 109As in Spain had a sun-bleached, blotchy appearance to their RLM 01. I used an AK paint mask to spray some blotches of RLM 01 lightened with some additional gray. Also in the photos, you can see some of the panels are a little bit shiny and have a different look than the rest of the plane. These panels seem to be in the cowling area. Some of the books I have say these were bare metal, and others say it was freshly painted panels. I used some Vallejo Modelair RLM 01 on a couple of panels, which created a nice, bright appearance. Finally, this captured plane had some black panels on the nose, which I masked and added now.

Tomorrow it will be time to mask and paint the red panels that covered all of the markings. The only decals that this model will have will be the technical marks and stencils. Should be fun. Cheers.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, George @gblair
    Especially the effects on the propellor do look amazing.
    The AK paint mask did a real nice job, I'm thinking if such a mask would be helpful for my desert scheme as well.

• Profile Photo

A quality step, my friend @gblair! Painting and weathering are supreme at both the plane and the prop!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hi fellas - I'm a bit late as always, but here we go 🙂

Louis, I like your Ironwerke style - way to go with three in a row! (now, I'll be looking forward to check if you remember to thin the cowlings as you commented in one of my previous builds. . . .

Spiros, what a treat - looking faboulous with all the stencils and yellow!

John, great to have the flaps and stuff added - makes it more complete.

George, what a great call on the paint - the fresh panles and the worn overall just adds such a lot of interest to the plane!

Keep those updates comin' @fiveten, @johnb, @gblair and @lgardner. great stuff!