Revell 1/72 Focke-Wulf Fw 190 F-8/R14 - FINISHED

Started by Ronnie Olsthoorn · 44 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Thanks for the invite Louis! This will be my first group build ever as I essentially stopped modelling not long after I discovered the internet and bought my first PC - nearly 25 years ago! This is my first model started since then. I started this build already in January, but spending only a few hours per month on it, progress has been pedestrian.

Normally I build 1/48, but since I had this 1/72 kit laying about I figured it would be a good full-build mule. Its main purpose is for me to get the hang of my new equipment (Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus with Sparmax TC-610H Plus compressor and Mr Hobby Aqueous paints), which is a far cry from what I was doing in the 1990s. If it ends up being a presentable model, that's a bonus.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

It was my full intention to make it OOB, skipping any research and just go with the kit's instructions. This plan went out of the window in the first minutes after opening the kit. Labelled as an F-8, I was surprised to find one of the decal options to be for an A-5-based prototype. The nose gun panel, with the characteristic bulge for the 13 mm guns, was not appropriate for the A-5 model. So I went with option two, as illustrated by the box art. Though I was unable to find photos of this exact and intriguing machine, A3+HV of KG 200, the Werkenummer suggested an F-8 model built around early January 1945. Surely by that time the straight canopies and grey-grey camouflage had been superseded by bulged canopies and green-grey camouflage? Some research validated my suspicions. Luckily I also had an Academy Fw 190 D-9 laying about and this came with both canopy options. The Academy canopy matched the Revell kit well enough, so I immediately proceeded by cutting off the canopy frame from the kit's fuselage, which looked horrible (faulty cross-section!). By now being able to place the new canopy open, any mismatch would be irrelevant anyway. But sadly the Academy canopy had ugly attachment points for the head armour which would be next to impossible to remove without damage to the transparency. I quickly decided to make a push-formed copy, using the kit part as a master. I grabbed a piece of double card board, cut a canopy-sized hole it in, and with a clear plastic brochure cover, some wooden sticks and staples. With the help of an electric cooker, I soon had seven copies. The four best ones I kept, so I had a thin, crystal clear bubble canopy plus a spare for each kit.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Next I decided, since it's a mule-build, to try creating stretched skin effects. No matter it's only 1/72 and these effects are usually reserved for larger scales. I wasn't going to waste my precious time scraping plastic away so I simply created the bumps by using Mr Surfacer over masked-off ribs, frames and stringers and sanding everything smooth when dry.

I estimated that adding some drops of AK RC 330 Japanese olive drab laquer to Mr Surfacer 1500 Grey would get me a reasonably match for RLM 02 - and it did.

Next the model was sprayed in Mr Hobby Aqueous RLM 75 and RLM 83 (sic) over RLM 76. Or so I thought! I accidentally grabbed the RLM 74 bottle, so I had to respray the grey. With H&S airbrushes being prone to tip dry, I use ample thinner and about 20 PSI pressure. I was able to hand spray demarcations and mottle and for my first airbrush job in nearly a quarter of a decade, I could've done a lot worse.

As the photos aren't great at showing off the stressed skin effects, I've uploaded a video: https://youtu.be/9hkvoJq6l4w

Next will be the various details, which is what I'm currently working on.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Good morning Ronnie, welcome and a great choice in 72nd scale of the Fw-190. Looks like a decent kit and a good start on the paint scheme. Hope this will encourage you on your next build. Looking forward to the finish on this one.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Welcome back to the modelling world, Ronnie.
    A great way to start using your new equipment.
    Looking forward to your progress.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Splendid stretchmarks, not least in that scale @skyraider3d.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The video certainly shows your stressed skin off wonderfully - nice technique!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

What a great reentering to the hobby, Ronnie @skyraider3d!

Your job is already a massive departure from what we would call "OOB" build!

Loved the vacanopies and the technique used to create them.

The stressed skin effect is amazing: adds so much to the realism! It is clearly evident I the video.

Love your airbrushing goodies, as well!.

Looking forward to see this little beauty coming along!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

It is hard to believe that you haven't been modeling for a while, Ronnie (@skyraider3d). Great start on your 190, especially the stressed skin.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Ronnie, @skyraider3d

First off, welcome to our Luftwaffe group build.
    Your FW looks incredible ! I am also extremely impressed with the stressed skin effects. Years ago my friend Rato Marczak posted a "how to" article on his modeling website showing how he did it on a Ki-61 going from memory. This process looks to be time consuming and tedious, and not for the feint of heart, especially in 1/72 scale.

But boy oh boy ! The end result is worth it. Yours already looks magnificent, and I can't wait for the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you very much for all the kind comments!

I was lucky enough to be able to borrow a Cameo 3 and so I decided to cut my own masks rather than use the thick kit decals. I'm impressed with the capabilities of this machine, even the walk way stencil came out OK. In real life this consists of dotted lines of 20 x 10 mm blocks, which at 1/72 gives a with of merely 0.14 mm! Not only did the Cameo manage to cut this, the paint managed to get through as well. The "A3" came out really nicely too and I managed to align the swastika and underwing crosses perfectly. Unfortunately I was slightly off with aligning the fuselage cross, so this needs a touch up.

All in all I'm pretty pleased for a first attempt at using the Cameo.

The self-made canopy came out looking a bit rough, as the Mr. Masking Sol R masking fluid I used left horrible jagged edges. From here on I'll only use this as temporary glue, as it's quite useful for that purpose. I will grab one of my spare canopies and use the Cameo to make a neat Oramask 810 mask for it too.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking really great, Ronnie @skyraider3d!
    The Cameo rocks!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is looking very neat, Ronnie.
    If you wouldn't tell about the fuselage cross, I wouldn't have noticed.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I have to ask; did you use the 0.14mm blocks as masks? Or asked another way did you paint black first, then mask? It must have been a lot of fun hours. From the progress pictures it was a matter of removing the "black part" from the masks and then painting black over the base color. No matter what, it look great!

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks guys!

Erik, on the top wing picture you can just about see the mask on the right wing, still in place (sprayed black and secured by yellow masking tape). The Cameo actually managed to cut out whole rows of tiny 20/72 x 10/72 mm slots! It's quite incredible really and I was thoroughly surprised it worked as well as it did!