Another Ta 152H - Finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 68 · 11 months ago · dml, Dragon, EagleCals, Jerry Crandall, Ta-152 H, Trimaster
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Hey Tom@tcinla. I'll honor Jerry's memory by using EagleCal Ta-152H sheet #133. I have a DML/Trimaster kit that's been begging me for attention ever since 1991, so thank you Jerry for the motivation. The kit decals are shot and I read the reprinted editions of EagleCals are now printed by Cartograf (instead of Microscale) which is all I needed to hear . This Ta-152H contains a complete engine and stand - a model in itself. As far as specific H markings go, I will wait until Pedro@holzhamer decides what he's going with since he is building the Italeri version of the same kit and using the same decal sheet. Besides, he submitted his build ahead of me. You decided yet Pedro?

I'm sure you have a build review full of tips over at MM, right Tom? Thanks for the invite.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to this one being build, Eric @eb801

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@eb801
    Hey Eric!
    I’m afraid not. Even with some fan base behind rooting, I’m not sure if I’ll do the green 6 or yellow 7, and probably will only decide when the box is on top of the work bench, some time ahead for that circumstance to happen.

That said, go ahead and build the whatever version you want, your model, your choice right?
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Same here, Pedro @holzhamer. I won’t be starting mine or deciding the decal scheme until I finish this desert Boston ll I’ve been working on for what seems like forever. I did splurge and ordered up an Aires resin cockpit set. I recall the stacked but separate instrument panels on the Trimaster short winged Ta 152 were quite a pain and Aires appears to have molded all three panels positioned properly as a one piece ready to install. I’m still waiting for it to arrive.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

There is indeed an M2 review that will be helpful, @eb801. In fact there's two.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/cleaver/g/190/tc152.htm

The one above is likely more useful.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/luft/cleaver152h.htm

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 5 months ago:

The Build Has Begun!

Actually this is a speed version of my Crandall Ta-152 build. I jumped ahead and went to town on this last week.

Somehow I ended up with the Aires resin cockpit but I wouldn't recommend it. The kit cockpit parts are just as good and since you can't see a darned thing once the front office is buttoned up, the Aires cockpit is a waste of money.

I did build a simplified version of the included engine. It's another thing you can't see once the cowling bonnet is closed unless you flip the plane over and then you can see the rear engine compartment through the wheel well. You need something there or it will look like a major void. However, Trimaster's engine parts are ill fitting and there's a lot of them.

I did add a set of Quickboost exhaust stacks which is about the only accessory you need as they look way better than what's in the kit.

So far this has been a somewhat easy build, but the Trimaster's TA-152 does have it's fiddly moments and is not a slam-dunk by any means. Fit is decent but there's still a fair amount of filling and sanding to do.
    Here's my progress so far.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Superb progress, my friend @eb801! Thanks for all info regarding the Aires interior and the visible part of the engine.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great progress indeed, Eric @eb801.
    The cockpit does look nice and it is indeed a pity that barely anything will be visible in the end, just like the engine.
    Thanks for the warning that the original interior is just as good.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great choice, Eric. I recently found one of those in the deepest recess of the stash and plan to build it. I’ll be following along.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Nice! I had completely forgot about this GB, my bad. I am really looking forward to see your progress Eric @eb801

• Profile Photo

@johnb and @j-healy: to clarify, the Trimaster kit instrument panels feature raised dials and require a bit of assembly. There may be a set of decal instruments but the kit decal sheet was completely shot and unusable so I tossed it before looking at it carefully. The Aires multi-panel resin instrument board is just one piece with two etched bezel panels and the printed gauges on a clear sheet of acetate to be cut apart. You have to paint the back of the dials white prior to sandwiching each piece of film between each etched bezel panel and the resin cockpit piece. If you use white glue for all of this, you can create “glass” dial covers using a sharp toothpick. But again, who is going see any of this? Once you close up the fuselage halves all that detail vanishes.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    I have not been very active lately on IModeler. Lots of life things get in the way it seems.

I started building up some of these inverted V-12 powered Focke Wulfs too, (in my usual Iron Werkes style), but they are all posted over there in our Luftwaffe Group.

I didn't have any Eagle Editions decals for them.

Sadly, and by choice, they have been languishing for a little while now, mainly because of other builds that I have placed in line ahead of them. Mine are either the Revell / Pro Modeler D-11's, Dragon D-12 torpedo plane, or the Italeri Ta-152 long wing (which is my all time FAVORITE 190 in real life, not this particular kit though).
    I'm borrowing the engine from a Tamiya Ki-61 Hien, using the engine from the Hobby Boss Focke Wulf kits as a guide.

I agree with you about the cockpit parts. The stepped IP is a PITA to say the least. So I glued the fuselage halves together first, and then installed it from underneath. I built the cockpits and test fit them in, so I know they will fit in from underneath after the fuselage is glued together too.

But exactly as you said, you can't see anything once it's all assembled.

One other thing I did to help with the gaps, is I glued the upper wing half to the fuselage and let it dry overnight. This removes the chances of having to use filler here. I'll come back later and glue the lower wing sections in place next. It's easier to fix seams on the leading edge that it is along the wing root.

Were you able to build yours up by following the instructions ? It's looking VERY nice by the way.

I was given a partially built Pro Modeler D-11, and it has a big gap there, so it might be a potential problem area, and now I'm curious. It could also be poor workmanship on part of the previous builder too. I really don't know, but this was why I decided to build mine up differently.

I'm very happy to see you building one of these kits. I'm especially interested in how your engine turns out, some of mine didn't have them.

Thanks for posting, and I'm definitely signed up and looking forward to your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking really nice @eb801.

This is what I did.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks TC@tcinla- I read your two MM build reviews and they have been a big help.