1/48 PIPER NE-1 **FINISHED**

Started by gary sausmikat · 80 · 6 months ago · 1/48, Hobbycraft, Jim Sullivan, Piper NE-1
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

My second Jim Sullivan build will be a Piper NE-1 based on another pic from Jim's Golden Wings 1941-1945 book.

The kit:
    Hobby Craft, 1/48, J-3/O-59 Cub.

Not sure of mods yet but I'm pretty sure I will be adding an interior.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Another superb entry, my friend @gwskat!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Excellent choice, Gary @gwskat

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Sprues.

Purchased the kit from ebay and the only "work" that was started is the yellow on the fuselage.
    The fuselage being all clear will be interesting. Not expecting any difficulties but I think it will be a first for me.

I will have to do some research on the interior before I get the tools and glue out.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks good in the box, my friend @gwskat! Practically unstarted.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Contents look great, Gary @gwskat
    First time I see an entire fuselage in transparant plastic.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

gary sausmikat (@gwskat)
    I'll echo the comments made above. The only other model plane I have seen with a transparent fuselage is the 1/48 Tamiya Ki-61 Hien, and it only had one half as a clear part.

Luckily the real Piper has a very simple cockpit, so it shouldn't take too much to make it look like the real thing... my famous last words.

I can remember as a kid, going to the old Piper factory at Lock Haven in your neck of the woods. It was closed down for good by this time, so basically we went on a road trip there and didn't get to see anything other than the country side... which was beautiful by itself and well worth the drive.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks, Louis.
    There is a Piper museum, in Lock Haven, but, as when "things" are in your backyard, I have yet to visit there. Should do that this year.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Speaking from experience of 20+ J-3 hours, the interior is really simple, @gwskat. It definitely needs it! It's a fun kit, but for those who would like a J-3 without the effort, the new Special Hobby Cubs, starting with an L-4 and now a J-3, are the best and easiest out there.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

gary sausmikat (@gwskat)
    When we drove by the Piper factory, it was closed. Chances are it might actually have been permanently closed too. This was sometime in the late 1970's or very early 80's.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Finally back on the NE-1 build...well sort of.

So, after getting into the Hobbycraft kit I decided it was too much effort for me at this time. It happens...
    Put the HC kit back on the stash.
    Took Tom C's advice and purchased the Special Hobby, J-3 "goes to war" kit. And I'm glad I did...Thanks Tom!

I also purchased the Special Hobby L-4 kit, to be built in tandem with the J-3, and the masking set. The L-4 masking set negative was applied to a sheet of Tamiya mask and I cut out the inner and outer masks for the NE-1. I had to do some of my own masking for the rear curved window not on the L-4.

Deviating from the kit instructions I decided to build a sub-assembly of the upper cockpit parts. This will allow me to paint the interior and remove the masks prior to assembly.

Next up will be to work on the interior parts.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Really looking forward to this build, gary (@gwskat). One of my favorite warplanes. Always fun to figure out how to get the masks off the interior, but you figured it out quickly. I won't tell you how hard it is to pull the interior masks off through the side window using tweezers (ask me how I know).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great progress and superb masking approach, my friend @gwskat!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Progressing nicely and a good approach on those masks, Gary @gwskat

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks, All.

George, when I first saw the set was interior and exterior my brain started formulating "HOW THE ___!"...LOL. I was not about to try and pull them off from the outside.
    Lets see how this all works out.
    And warming up in the bullpen is the L-4 which has many more windows than the NE-1/J-3
    Have to keep reminding myself of my moto...KEEP IT FUN!