A pair of 1/48 Tamiya Corsairs: VMF-214 Greg "Pappy" Boyington F4U-1 numbers #883 and #740

Started by Louis Gardner · 121 · 3 months ago · 1/48, Blacksheep, Corsair, Tamiya, VMF-214
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@tankgrrl - pick up my book "Under The Southern Cross" - lots of stuff about Marines and Corsairs in the South Pcific.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@lgardner - No! No argument! Just more info. I wrote about Boyington and Bolt in "Under the Southern Cross." I remember his TV Guide article from 1976 because it was the first time I latched onto the idea that what people said happened in World War II and what actually happened could be two different mutually opposed things.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@tcinla - I'll put it on my shopping list, thanks. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Brian Mennenoh (@brithebuilder)
    It sounds like many of us did this as a kid. My Dad and I watched the "Blacksheep" show once a week when it was a brand new series, first aired on TV. I'm looking forward to seeing your Corsair. I don't ever recall seeing one built up as one of the actual TV planes. That would really be cool to see. Thanks !

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    It was a typical show from the era. It might be considered by some to not be worth the time to do it, since the story lines are almost all fictional and not based on truths. However, for me, it reminds me of the quality time my Dad and I spent together. He's been dead for a little over 10 years now and there's not a day that goes by where I don't somehow think of him.

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    No worries... we are still good. Thanks for the additional information. I have been looking everywhere for the article you said that Lt. Col. Bolt wrote for the TV Guide. So far I have come up empty handed.

Now you have me curious... and you know what they say about curiosity and the cat.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

The Fundekals that Tom Bebout sent me a while ago have finally arrived. I was beginning to think they might have been lost during transport.

Thanks Tom ! @tom-bebout

Unfortunately I have not had any time at the work bench over the past few days. So I don't have any other updates to pass along, other than to report the decals have landed.

The ones on the left side are for Corsair #883, the right side is #740.

As always comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great you finally received the desired decals, Louis @lgardner
    It is wonderful to see on this community that so much people are willing to help like Tom @tom-bebout did now.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

The decals look great, my friend @lgardner! A wonderful gift from our friend @tom-bebout!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Yes it is a wonderful thing that Tom Bebout (@tom-bebout) has sent me.

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    They look even better in person. It will be my very first time using decals made by this company. I do like the research it seems they have done and especially how they back it up with pictures.

Please stay tuned as I have made some progress today.

• Profile Photo

Here is what I got done today. I'm super happy because it's been a long time since I have had the chance to build anything hobby related.

I took two pre painted cockpit assemblies from the Corsair Kindergarten. I finished the detail painting next.

Next I took some flat black, and painted the IP. Then once it dried I painted the clear glass using "Future" floor acrylic.

I took some masking tape and cut out some strips roughly the proper width to simulate a seat harness. I took some beading wire and made a set of buckles and adjustment retainers.

I did this twice, once for the #740 plane and again for #883.

Then I glued the front and rear cockpit sections together, then installed them in the fuselage half. I used a flash light to illuminate the interior details as seen here.

This shows how the home made seat harness looks. It's not perfect, but it will work... good enough for me. Here again I have illuminated the interior to better show the details.

This photo shows how the Corsair looks with the cockpit installed.

The final step was to glue the fuselage halves together. The fit was exceptional here. I'm hoping the seams will be easily taken care of with a few swipes from a razor blade.

This shows where I'm at with these two Corsairs. Hopefully tomorrow I will get some more bench time in.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking really nice so far! Cockpit detail is top notch. Even more impressive considering you are doing two at the same time- keep it going!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Cockpits look great, Louis (@lgardner). The cockpits look so good I feel like you be able to hop in and takeoff.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking perfect, my friend @lgardner! Your home made improvements rock!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

This looks really great, Louis @lgardner
    Especially those homemade harnesses are beautifully done.

• Profile Photo

David Butler (@dbutlr)
    Thank you for the kind words. It's actually not too much harder to build two models when both are practically the same plane. I spent most of my time on the seat belts harnesses. They would look better if I had used an actual set made by a manufacturer like HGW, Quinta Studios, or Eduard. But I wanted to try my hand at making a set of my own.
    It would be easier if these were 1/32 scale kits. Thanks again.

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Thanks George ! I sincerely appreciate your compliments. I just left you a comment on your Panther build journal. Thank you for all of your help with the SNJ fuselage codes.

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Thanks buddy ! You are doing some outstanding work on your Hellcat too.

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Thanks John ! I want to congratulate you on your La-11 in the headlines section. It is your BEST model build to date, and if you ever get tired of looking at it, and want to give it a new home, I will gladly place it in my display case... 😉 If you ever get the chance to enter it into a contest, I sincerely think you should.

Today I spent most of the day working on these two Corsairs. Now they are ready to go to the paint shop... so please stay tuned. I have another installment coming right up !

• Profile Photo

Today was a busy day at the "Iron Werke"... I got a LOT done on these two. Please follow along with me, and I'll explain to you what all is going on... and there's a lot to explain.

I started out by lightly scraping the seams on the fuselage using a razor blade to remove the excess glue that squished out. Next I gave these areas a few swipes with a sanding / fingernail file board. I have some of these in various grits and they work great for doing this type of work. I am able to polish the plastic using them too.

At this point, both Corsairs looked like this. The wings were previously assembled in the Corsair "Kindergarten". So it didn't take me too long to get to this stage.

The wings and horizontals were glued on next. Now these two are starting to look more like a Corsair.

and then there were two:

I have read that sometimes these Corsairs had some parts of the cockpit interior painted in a Flat Black color, most notably the armored plate behind the pilot's seat. So I took the liberty to paint one Corsair in this manner. The other was left "as is" in a Dull Dark Green color, looking very similar to the "Birdcage" Corsair that was pulled up from Lake Michigan some years ago.

Next I got busy with the engines. I had previously built and painted the engine assemblies when they were in the Corsair Kindergarten...this also saved me some time now.

I painted the exhaust pipes using a burnt metal color that I home brewed. I also painted the intake manifold pipes using a Gloss Black. These are only slightly visible when the engine is installed. But if you look really close you can actually see them.

Then I glued on the engine cowling cooling flaps. Since these two planes were operated in the South Pacific, I decided to leave them open, and picked the appropriate parts that were included in the kit. Tamiya offers the builder a choice between open or closed cooling flaps for the cowling. I personally think the Corsair looks best with them open, but that's my opinion.

The next step was to install the engines into the cowlings... like this. I didn't bother adding ignition wires.

and then there were two...

These completed engine / cowling assemblies were now glued in place on the front of the fuselages like this...

and then there were two...

Next I started working on the tail wheel strut landing gear doors. I like to add them now, before painting actual doors. This allows a bare plastic joint, and it's much stronger. So I carefully scraped off some of the pre-painted "Salmon" color inside the fuselage, and attached the doors.

The main gear doors were installed next. These areas will be painted using a "Flat White" color soon. The majority of the wheel well was painted like this by Vought. Vought painted the main landing gear bays the same color as the underside color. Some small traces of Salmon color (what is really Indian Red pigment mixed into Zinc Chromate), was occasionally visible in some spots that was in hard to reach areas.

I had previously assembled the flaps while these Corsairs were in the Kindergarten. The step opening on the Starboard side inboard flap was filled in and sanded smooth a while ago, so here again, the Corsair Kindergarten saved me some time.

I pressed the inner most flaps in place, but only on a temporary basis. It was not glued in permanently. I can pull them back off later to allow for much easier painting. This was the reason why these inboard flaps were not permanently glued in place. They were simply used to help me properly align the other flaps when I installed them in permanently.

The clear under fuselage window was glued in place. I have to do some research to see if these were painted over on these two planes, or if I should leave them clear as they are now. It's also possible these windows were painted over, or possibly even replaced with metal in the field, and then painted to match the surrounding area.

This is how these two Corsairs look like now. It was a very productive day at the Iron Werke today. They are ready to go to the paint shop next. Hopefully tomorrow I can start spraying some Flat White on these two U birds.

As usual, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.