Another Tamiya F4u-1a

Started by David Butler · 55 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Getting closer to the paint stage. Well done, David

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Did some painting this weekend. Started by priming the whole plane Valljo flat black, then came back and hit the center panels and high points with a shade of gray that I can't recall the specific name of. Later I came back and applied the sea blue (not pictured) on the upper fuselage and wings. I think that the Vallejo shade of this color is a little too gray and not quite blue enough but it will suffice once all is weathered. The black and grade preshading showed up nicely under the coat of sea blue although it will probably be hard to see in photos. Next up will be the white on the bottom and intermediate blue on the lower fuselage. Prop, gear doors, etc to follow

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great pre-shading, David @dbutlr
    I definitely need to get my Corsair moving as well to keep in pace with yours.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Got the camo painted and ready to go for a gloss coat. Walk way painted, underside (not pictured) done as well. Going to do some decals and weathering next along with attaching the smaller items

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 1 week ago:

👍🏼 David@dbutir. Coming along very nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 1 week ago:

David Butler (@dbutlr)
    Outstanding work here ! Our planes look like twins, as they are indeed very close to being at the same stage of construction. I really like what I see here...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Superb progress, my friend @dbutlr!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Really great paintwork, David @dbutlr

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Coming along nicely, David. Like others stated, your paint work is looking great.

• Profile Photo

Got the Fundekals decals on the upper fuselage- my first experience with this brand and I have to say that they are impressive- not too thick or thin and look great once they start to settle down courtesy of micro sol/sol. Thanks again @tom-bebout for sending them my way.

The decals for the seam tape forward of the cockpit appear to be a 9 part affair! Yikes anybody have any experience with this particular set or tips on applying these? Seems like it will be almost impossible to get them to all into the proper alignment.@lgardner and @tom-bebout I know you are using this set, how are you going to approach this?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Slow and steady wins the race. If that doesn't work use the supplied decals in the kit. Have fun.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 1 week ago:

David Butler (@dbutlr)
    I agree with you 100 percent about how great these decals perform. I just finished putting them on my Boyington Corsairs, #740 and #883. These are also the Fundekals that Tom Bebout sent me, and they likely came from the same set as yours. This is my very first time ever using them, and I am very impressed with how they performed. I can see myself getting more of them in the future. They worked just as good as the Eaglecals I have used in the past. They are indeed that good.

My two Corsairs didn't have this multiple fuel tank sealer seam tapes used on the forward deck ahead of the cockpit according to the decals instruction sheet. But I have found a picture of 740 that shows a single tape line just ahead of the cockpit. Since I don't have this multi part decal to use, I will follow Tom Bebout's advice and use the kit supplied decals to fix this minor omission.

As far as the way the upper wing decal looks, I would let it be, as I think it looks fine as is. Mine looks very similar to yours, and I do think it is proper. When you get a chance, check out my #883 Corsair and see if you agree.

Keep it going buddy !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Decals look great on, my friend @dbutlr!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Decals do look perfect, David @dbutlr
    No experience on that nose section but it does seem challenging.

• Profile Photo

So I mustered up the courage to do the fuel tank seam tape decals- all nine of them! I am quite please with the results. . . it was indeed challenging but not impossible. The key was to carefully follow the seam lines which the Fundekals matched perfectly with.
    With that said I am glad that this part of the process is over! Thanks for all the encouragement