Corsair it will be - 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 27 · 2 months ago · F4U
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 11 months ago:

I didn't have any Sullivan books on hand, so bought a couple of Corsair books off Amazon. I do love the bent-wing bird, so I'll find something in there to whet my appetite. I do have a bunch of decal sets already for projects I had lined up, so I'm hoping I find some entries in one of the books I bought that match what I already have. I'll let you know when I determine which way I'm going.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Looking forward to your entries, my friend @gkittinger!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Looking forward to your decision, Greg @gkittinger

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 11 months ago:

Good one Greg, 1/72 rules.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months ago:

Greg Kittinger (@gkittinger)
    Hello again Greg. Sorry for the late comment. I have been busy with a lot of full scale "life" stuff lately. I sincerely appreciate the entry. Jim would be proud of what ever you decide to pick, I'm sure.

Around 10 years ago, (or possibly a few more), I sold off all of my 1/72 scale stuff. My old tired eyes don't let me build them that small anymore. Too bad, because they are a whole lot easier to store.

Now I have shifted towards 1/48 and larger aircraft, and 1/35 armor stuff.

I'm looking forward to seeing your choice(s) when the time comes. Since you have a lot of decal choices, go for it, and build more than one if you can.

Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Great choice, Greg (@gkittinger). Looking forward to seeing you do your magic on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Here's the decal sheet for the bird I'm doing - going to start with the kiwi bird built from 2 airframes, and may possibly get to another in brit colors. Using the Academy 1/72 kit.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Glad to see you contributing, Gregg. Hard to not join this group. This should be a nice build, especially with the RNZAF scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent scheme choice, my friend @gkittinger! Looking forward to it, as well as to a possible Brit bird!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

A very nice scheme, Greg @gkittinger

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking forward to your build, Greg (@gkittinger), especially with some NZ colors.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great contribution, Greg@gkittinger. If you’ve never used XtraDecals before, you won’t be disappointed.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Greg Kittinger (@gkittinger)
    This is an excellent choice. Great pick !

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Been awhile - and a 3-month hiatus due to a move - but I finally cracked the box on this build. Academy kit with some engraved panel lines. I'll start riveting next, but for now only fixes were to open the shell ejector chutes, ream off the relief detail of the "exhaust" pipes and insert sections from some old rockets and then drill them out to create exhausts, and do a little work on the tail wheel doors to allow for the wheel to show through in the raised position (per references).

I'm actually trying to finish this before the first Tues in February, to compete for our club's February theme build, "Under New Management" (subject in livery other than their country of origin). To add encouragement for folks to bring more models to our monthly meetings, we added an award/plaque for each month's theme, and both new and old builds can compete. We also have a Model of the Month award/plaque (new builds only), so this would qualify for both.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Good to see it finally started, Greg @gkittinger
    A nice improvement on the exhausts.
    You should be able to win both awards with this build.