Dual Corsair Build

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 130 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

I originally bought the 1D thinking it was the 'correct' one for the show Baa Baa Black Sheep/Black Sheep Squadron and then realized they actually used the 1A. So, now I'll be building both.
    The 1A will be mostly accurate to the show and the 1D will be made to represent an actual fighter - VBF-6, No.2, Carrier HANCOCK, Mar. 1945 using the decals from the box set.
    I have purchased the Quinta 3D Decals for both and will begin the build as soon as they arrive.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent choice, Brian @brithebuilder
    What is better than building a Corsair, indeed, two (or even more).

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Indeed John. My first Corsair build and the first 1:48 kit in a long time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent decision, my friend @brithebuilder!
    This will be a wonderful duo!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros, I'm just hoping to do the kits justice. I'm not normally an aircraft modeler so the fact that others are building the same kits will help me know how to detail properly.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Finally had a chance to get all my sprues washed up and as I'm now prepping to start painting, I'm seeing a difference in the kit instructions. The 1D calls for the interior parts to be painted with a mix of 2 parts XF-3 (yellow) and 1 part XF-5 (green) while the 1A calls for a 1 to 1 mix of the same colors. In order to simplify my life and not have to mix colors, I'm going to go with XF-4 Yellow Green in the 1D and XF-71 Cockpit Green in the 1A. This seems to be a reasonable compromise... if the Corsair experts here feel that this is just completely wrong please let me know. I was also thinking to have additional variety that I'd have the 1D with the flaps open and the 1A with them closed. All the shots from 'Black Sheep Squadron' seem to have them closed in flight.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

A good choice, Brian @brithebuilder
    For my 1A, since I don't have Tamiya paints, I used green zinc chromate from Vallejo. Close enough.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thanks John, the Vallejo green zinc chromate looks to be very close to the XF-71 Cockpit Green.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Brian @brithebuilder: Sounds like you use all Tamiya paints. So do I. I have a Tamiya paint mixing guide that works for me. If you want a pdf copy, send me a PM with your email address and I will email it to you.

By the way, Tamiya XF-5 works fine for interior green but if you add 1 part XF-5 to 2 parts XF-4 Zinc chromate yellow you will get the chromate green you're looking for. Close enough as they say.

• Profile Photo

@eb801 - Hey Eric, I do use a lot of Tamiya, but I also use a lot of Vallejo and Citadel as well. Regardless of that I'd love a copy of your paint mixing guide. I generally try to avoid mixing paint if possible so I can have a 'standard' color to go back to if I make mistakes while painting nearby parts. Obviously that's not always possible though.

The XF-71 seems pretty close to what XF-4 and XF-5 would be. The directions on the 2 kits call for XF-3 and XF-5. One, a 2 part yellow to1 part green mix and the other calls for a 1:1 ratio.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Your color choices are sound and also having the models with different flap positions is great, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Brian @brithebuilder: I find XF-71 is more suitable for RAF interiors depend on the plane. I always keep a large bottle of it around. Mixing paints is not a big deal as long as you mix more than you need for matching touchup. Get some small clear plastic jars with tops from a crafts store. Mix the paints in the jar so you can eyeball the amount proportions and then thin the heck out of it. Don't do it in an airbrush cup. Funny how everyone has their own idea of the proper color mix. Remember, close is good enough.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros!

@eb801 - Thanks Eric, I really do need to get some mixing cups with lids so I can keep color mixes around and not have to keep mixing little batches and then hoping it's close enough. I did find a few color swatches of green and yellow zinc chromate, and assuming that's what these two are going for, I definitely feel like this is really close.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Brian Mennenoh (@brithebuilder)
    You are making some headway with your Corsairs. I don't normally use acrylic paints, so I can't offer much for advice here. I'm old school and I stick with enamels. Each has their own preferences.

Keep it going. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner - Thanks Louis, I basically use acrylics since they are typically what's called out in the instructions. I'm currently trying to get as many sub assemblies done as I can while I wait for the Quinta Studios 3D decals for the cockpits. Hopefully, they arrive soon!