Hobby Boss 1/72 F9F-2 Panther

Started by George R Blair Jr · 53 · 9 months ago · F9F-2, Grumman, Hobby Boss, Panther, Sullivan Group
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

It occurred to me that I might be able to finish a build while I am waiting for the interior parts to show up for my Kingfisher. The Panther has been one of my most favorite airplanes ever since I first saw them in The Bridges at Toko-Ri. I found some really stunning photos of a Panther accident in Jim Sullivan's book Bent and Battered Wings. In a series of photos, an F9F-2 misses all of the wires upon landing and crashes into a number of Panthers parked on the forward part of the deck. This crash of a VF-21 Panther, occurred on the USS Wasp on 22 September 1952. I have several books in my library on the Panther, and every one of them has at least one photo of this plane.

My intent is to duplicate the markings on this plane. I had a 1/72 Hobby Boss F9F-2 in my stash, but the only extras I had was a set of Eduard canopy masks. With my Kingfisher parts due in a week, I don't plan on doing much extra on this plane other than some simple upgrades.

I got started today on the cockpit. There aren't many parts here, so I spent the time getting them pre-painted and assembled. My Karma continues to be in sync with the universe, since during the build on the cockpit I managed to lose the rudder pedals and the control stick (twice), but managed to recover them all from the carpet. This is pretty exciting because once stuff goes into the carpet it usually stays there. There is a lot of online discussion about the appropriate colors for the cockpit, so I picked what seemed like the most common colors in the photos. I made seat belts out of masking tape that I painted a light gray. I added a tiny handle for the ejection curtain on the ejection seat. It should have two small handles, but I chose to add one handle instead of two in honor of the fact that it is 1/72 and I am an old guy that can barely see it. I plan to do a little work to upgrade the deck behind the pilot, but I am not sure how involved that will be. Tomorrow is a busy day in my 1:1 life, but I hope to get some more done.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

An excellent choice and a great start. I love Panthers, too. "The Bridges of Toko-Ri" is a favorite. I have Jim Sullivan's "F9F Panther/Cougar In Action" book I bought at the Strategic Air Command Museum when I was 13 years old.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great choice to work on this kit while waiting for the parts, George @gblair
    You made an excellent start on the interior, looks like you are tackling 1/72 still perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Another amazing entry and ditto progress, my friend @gblair. Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice Choice George!
    The F-9 Panther and Cougar jets are one of my favourite 50's jets.
    The Bridges at Toko Ri one of the best war Movies!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, everyone.

Anna-Elizabeth (@tankgrrl): That is a great "In Action" book. At one point in my life, I think I was buying everyone that came out. It is hard to beat a movie with so many cool planes.

John (@johnb): I think it will be OK as long as the stars are lined up for me.

Spiros (@fiveten): It is all going smoothly, so far. As long as I keep finding the parts that twang off into the carpet.

David Mills (@davem): The planes and the flying in the movie were certainly realistic. It was filmed back in the days before they could create all the scenes on a computer. Besides the cool planes, I still remember Mickey Rooney and his green scarf flying the rescue helicopter.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Don't forget the LSO, "Beerbarrel", with two golf bags full of liquor, returning after liberty.

• Profile Photo

We're babysitting my granddaughter this afternoon, but I got a little bit done this morning. I removed everything I needed to add to the fuselage before I seal it up. Everything seemed to have gone well and I am happy to report no pieces flew into the carpet. The sprue supports attach to the parts on the gluing faces rather than on the exterior edge of the part. At first glance, this would seem like a good way to hide the place where the sprue attaches to part, but it can cause problems. When cleaning up the attachment point, if you remove too much material you create a depression in your mating surface, and it you don't remove enough you get parts that have a gap. In other words, I needed to be very careful. I did the initial cleanup with a new Exacto blade, and finished up with a fine sanding stick. I actually remembered to add some weight to the nose. I probably added too much, but I have gotten more careful after my B-25 that didn't want to sit on all three gear. I hope to have a little time to close up the fuselage later. Cheers everyone.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great start, George @gblair
    Luckily no parts in the carpet. Better to have a little too much weight in the nose instead of a bit too less.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). It seems like I lose 1 piece on every build. Too much nose weight is usually better, unless the nose gear collapses. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking good George, nice start and sometimes the carpet loses and gives up it's trophy

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom (@tom-bebout). I don't know about your carpet monster, but mine usually never gives up its treasures.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great progress, my friend @gblair! Interesting sprue attachment points indeed! You are absolutely right about nose weight: better safe than sorry, unless gear collapses 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). At first I thought the attachment points were a good idea, but you have to be very careful. Not many parts, so I hope to make some good progress tomorrow.

• Profile Photo

Started gluing things together today. The large pieces (fuselage and wings), seem to fit very well. It does take some careful cleanup of the sprue attachment points that are located on the gluing surfaces. I clamped everything together just to make sure nothing shifts. Unlike the Monogram F9F, this kit has the wingtip fuel tanks as separate pieces. I think this makes it easier to clean up the seams on the tanks, as well as making the masking easier for the Corogard metallic leading edges on the wings. Everyone have a great weekend. Cheers.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.