I'm in with a Tamiya F4U-1A

Started by Rob Anderson · 79 · 7 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Finishing up my Petty 73 charger, but then will be starting and F4, doing one of these Corsairs or something similar,. More once I get going

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Both are excellent projects, Rob @robertandy
    Looking forward to see both of them finished.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Looking forward to it, my friend @robertandy!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months, 1 week ago:

That will be a perfect entry, Rob @robertandy

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months ago:

Rob Anderson (@robertandy)
    Richard Petty rules ! I used to follow NASCAR religiously until he retired. Then it quit NASCAR when he did. I have met him on numerous occasions, he's a good guy. I grew up in Daytona Beach so he made regular appearances here at least twice a year.

I'm also a die hard Mopar fan, and have restored several full scale Dodge and Plymouth muscle cars. Over the years I have owned 4 different 1973 Chargers. Mine was actually used as the Pace Car at Daytona for the Firecracker race which was run just before the 400 on July 4th. I purchased it from the original owner. Sadly all I have left of it is the original 440HP engine and the build sheet for it. It was an ultra rare car with a sun roof. I wish I still had it.

This Corsair you picked is also one of my favorites. Great minds do think alike ! I definitely will be checking back for updates on this one. Thanks for joining the group.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 11 months ago:

The Petty car took a turn, I had bought decals for the fluorescent vermilion that I saw guys use on line. Man, epic failure. So since I would have normally done the fluorescent color first like I do on aircraft, it will be a "Early 70s NACAR" Charger. I just don't think the layers it will take to build up the color over the blue, even with a good white undercoat will look good. Still a very cool model, and the blue base coat is the best I think I've done. I'll post pics shortly as it's just about done .

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 11 months ago:

Nice choice! Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Ok, here we go got my references, aftermarket and Corsair. More as I move along

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Rob Anderson (@robertandy)
    Looks like you have a good handle on this. Those Fundekals are supposed to be excellent. Tom Bebout was kind enough to share some with me for my two Boyington Corsairs. I know they look good as printed, and hopefully soon I'll know how they perform once applied.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great references, my friend @robertandy!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

This is going to be a nice build, Rob @robertandy
    Since I will be using the same kit, I'm using yours as a reference as well.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Not my greatest photography, but you will get the idea. I started assembly by cutting off the molded on seat support, then covered the area with thin sheet. Next, even though I bought a couple of ultracast seats, I decided I wanted the freedom of working with plastic when making the seat frame. I slightly re-shaped Tamiya's seat, then built the frame from plastic rod. Next on to the rest of the cockpit!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nice job, Rob. Like the seat mods.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great modifications, Rob @robertandy

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Detailed the cockpit with plastic sheet, tube, rod and strip. And yes I blew off that small piece of shaving on the left rear console that I didn't see until I edited my pictures! Next some other levers and the throttle, some green zinc chromate and then adding Quinta interior and some Eduard placards.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.