Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D

Started by Tom Bebout · 38 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 11 months ago:

Here's my entry to the GB. I'll build her mostly OOB, but will add some Ultracast wheels and some 3D decals in the cockpit. Plan on building LTC Yost's Corsair, because it's so colorful of course, using Fundekals.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Nice entry, my friend @tom-bebout!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Great entry, Tom @tom-bebout
    Nice chosen scheme as well.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months ago:

Tom Bebout (@tom-bebout)
    This one will definitely turn some heads when you get it done, especially with all of the aftermarket stuff you have for it.

Thanks for joining the group. I will let you know when the decals arrive that you sent me. I sincerely appreciate them. I found a similarly marked F4U from Yost's group, that was "pranged" on a landing. They pushed it overboard to clear the deck because they still had planes in the landing circuit.

Like you said, plenty more where that one came from. Sadly it's not true anymore today. Most of them became pots, pans, and Honda motorcycle engines and firefighter ladders...

Thanks again buddy.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months ago:

Good choice on those Fundekals Tom. Looking software to it.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 11 months ago:

Ahh - I like those markings! This will be a great build!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

This will be a good one, Tom (@tom-bebout). I am also looking forward to these great markings.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

OK folks it begins, up first is the cockpit, sprayed with Model Master acrylic Interior green, then added some 3-D decals from a company called Quinta Studio. First was the IP, then a little home made black wash was applied to enhance the relief.

The seat is from Ultracast with added hardness then that had a wash applied along with the decals. Did I mention I hate working with PE. Of course the right side was next which also had 3-D decal applied. Followed by the left side as well. A couple of the decals are really really small but they don't go ping and subsequently become lost in the stratosphere. Finally you glue it together and presto you have a cockpit. More to come when I get time.

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@tom-bebout - what a great start! The Quinta 3D decals really show off well. I have some sets for some modern/Cold War jets, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Your colors and washes look amazing as well. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Those Quinta decals really set things off.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Amazing work on the interior, Tom @tom-bebout
    Quinta decals are amazing and quite easy to work with.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking good, Tom. When I finally get to a Tam P-38 I hope to try the 3D decals.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks really good Tom- I posted a few days some very similar pictures of progress I had made in the cockpit of my 1a Corsair and the difference between yours with the 3d decals and mine just out of the box is very noticeable. Great start!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Those Quinta 3D cockpit decals do look good and everybody seems to love then, Tom @tom-bebout. Sure seems easier than trying to sandwich a clear piece of acetate printed with instrument dials between a PE panel and styrene backing. I plan on trying a set when I tackle Academy’s new A-10c Thunderbolt this summer.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Tom Bebout (@tom-bebout)
    You are definitely making some great progress, and these Quinta 3D stuff looks like the best way to go. Your interior looks very convincing a life like.

I used an Eduard "LOOK" set on my 1/48 Tamiya birdcage F4U, and it also was a good option, because it included a steel seat harness too. However, if I had to choose between them, your plane looks a lot better than mine does.

On another note, the Fundekals decals you sent me for my two different Boyington Corsairs has finally arrived. I sincerely thank you for this. These decals were the final bits I was missing, and now I can accurately build both #740 and #883. I'm very impressed with the quality of the research they do behind their decal sets.

Thanks again for everything, and I'm looking forward to your next posting.