Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D VBF-83

Started by · 34 · 10 months ago · F4U-1D, GB, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Hello All,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a bit. I'm Anna-Elizabeth, my friends call me "Tank Grrl" because of my interest in military history and especially armor models.

I did not have the privilege of knowing Jim Sullivan, but I do know and respect his work. May he RIP.

I mostly do tanks and jets, but I have a couple of prop-driven plane kits, and the Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D is the kit I own at the moment that is most appropriate for this group. Besides the kit, I have an Eduard Zoom set and AeroMaster 48-137 "Carrier Based Corsairs Pt.1".

I'm thinking of doing a plane from VBF-83 off of USS Essex.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Good choice Anna-Elizabeth, and welcome aboard, you'll like it here, lots of friendly modelers reside on this site. BTY, Louis Gardner who started this Group Build was a tanker, Desert Storm. He's a good source for information.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Hello Tom, and thank you. 🙂

I've seen a lot of great models, friendly posters, and even some authors of books I own and enjoy, I'm happy to be here.

I need to get some paint to start my Corsair, most of my paint is for modern jets and WW2 tanks.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

A great entry, @tankgrrl!
    Welcome aboard!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months ago:

Great model and perfect choice. Jim's Corsair books are excellent references. Looking forward to your build, @tankgrrl.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

A great choice, Anna-Elizabeth @tankgrrl
    Welcome to this great community and looking forward to your progress.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 11 months ago:

Welcome aboard! It's always great to have someone interested in building targets for my subject of choice!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months ago:

VBF-83 - excellent choice, the most successful carrier-based Corsair squadron. Air Group 83 had huge shoes to fill when they went aboard USS Essex just before the Okinawa campaign, coming after Air Group 9 in 1943-44, and Air Group 15 - the Navy's top guns of the Pacific War in 1944. Essex and Air Group 83 set the World War II record for continuous days at sea on deployment for the Okinawa campaign - 93 days.

Welcome to the community, @tankgrrl. I'll be looking forward to seeing this.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

Thank you @tcinla. I love learning the history, especially when I chose VBF-83 based on looks of their scheme alone. 🙂

I have your book "I Will Run Wild", it's excellent and I learned so much about the early Pacific War. I was inspired to buy an Eduard P-400, and I have a Fine Molds Babs in my cart, because of your book.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months ago:

Anna-Elizabeth (@tankgrrl)
    This kit is an excellent choice. One can never have too many Corsairs ! Like the others, I too will be watching for updates. Thanks for joining the group.

I had the privilege while serving in the US Army to be a "Tanker". I served in the older M-60A-1's for most of my career, and we transitioned into the M-1A1 Abrams from there. It was like going from your grandpa's antique Ford farm truck to a fully loaded 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with a Hemi under the hood.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

And it begins. I can't order paint until at least May 2nd, I do have Interior Green so I've started to prep the cockpit interiors.
    Just a little file work, wet-sanding, and Tamiya Surface Primer. I eliminated the ejector pin marks and filed off the IP detail to prepare for Eduard parts.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Welcome to the group, Anna-Elizabeth (@tankgrrl). This is a great choice for the build and I am looking forward to following along.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Great job so far, my friend @tankgrrl!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Superb start, Anna-Elizabeth @tankgrrl

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months ago:

Thanks @tankgrrl. I'm glad you got some inspiration from the book.