Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D VBF-83

Started by · 34 · 11 months ago · F4U-1D, GB, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

Hey, All.

I just attached some tiny PE to the cockpit sidewalls. I didn't lose any pieces, and I only got a little blood on the Eduard instruction sheet. The PE are canopy sills, a throttle quadrant, and similar. I don't think I can get good photos today with the cloudy weather, I think these parts will show up better after primer and color anyway.

I tacked the parts down with Ammo Ultra Glue - I like it! - and then went back with CA, using a sewing needle and slips of paper as applicators.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Great that you tackled those tiny PEs, my friend @tankgrrl! Looking to the pics!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

PE is a challenge by itself, Anna-Elizabeth @tankgrrl
    It must have felt like a victory to apply all those pices in a correct way.
    Looking forward to the pictures.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

@fiveten @johnb - Thanks, guys! Yes, just getting those tiny, tiny parts attached successfully and without losing any feels like an accomplishment. Tape, tweezers, working over a box lid, and plain blind luck all played their parts in today's victory. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

The weather is still not helping as far as taking useful photos, but I've gotten more work done today - adding more PE, basic cockpit assembly, and cleaning the ejector pin marks inside the main wheel wells.

I have a couple of questions I hope Y'all can answer for me -
    1) For a -1D parked and the pilot disembarking, would the cowl flaps be opened or closed?
    I have looked at photos but most I've seen have the prop turning.

2) What do Y'all use for the antenna wiring? I hope to order paint on June 2-3, and I can get rigging line or whatevers if someone can recommend what to use. Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 11 months ago:

Lots of choices for antenna wire, I settled on nylon sewing thread years ago. Appears closer to scale IMHO.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

Less expensive than model rigging, too. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months ago:

I used nylon sewing thread for years and agree with Tom B. However, once I discovered EZ line (Med.) and Uschi rigging thread (.003mm) my spool of nylon thread has sitting on the shelf unused for about five years now. A couple of advantages right off the top
    with these elastic threads: they respond to CA glue instantly which means way less handling and wait time and they are considerably less prone to snapping off when bumped into. There is a quick bit of โ€œcut and stretchโ€ learning curve though.

But if this is a one shot airplane build, stick with the thread.

Whatever you choose, go for it!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months ago:

@tankgrrl - Nice kit. The start on the interior looks and sounds to be going well. It is amazing how such tiny bits of PE can bite your fingers so hard. I'm lucky enough to not have donated any blood yet, but I suppose it's a matter of time really. I've found that I've gotten pretty good at using two tweezers at the same time now. Still have a piece shooting off into space on occasion though. Toothpicks work pretty well as CA applicators as well. Secondary toothpick as Zip Kicker applicator can also be useful. As others have stated this is an amazing forum filled with incredibly knowledgeable people who like helping. I love building but I'm no historian, personally I'm all about how it looks as an art nerd. Regardless, welcome!

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

Thank you, @brithebuilder

What happens is I keep touching the scalpel blade as I separate the PE from it's sprue. Honestly, I'd rather get a minor cut than lose the part. ๐Ÿ™‚

I appreciate the tip about applying accelerator with a toothpick, I will try it. I hear you about the art and the looks! I'm about half history and half "this is so cool!".

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

@eb801 - Thanks, I appreciate the recommendation and the sizes needed. This Corsair is only my first prop build, and maybe the elastic rigging with be a little more friendly to my skill level.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Great accomplishment getting the PE into the cockpit, Anna-Elizabeth (@tankgrrl). I think there are $20 or $30 worth of PE living in my carpet. I love Ultra Glue and I use it almost exclusively for PE. I have a love/hate relationship with antenna wires. I have been using the elastic stuff lately, but I find it hard to use. I suspect I need to get some more practice, or go see what they have on YouTube about using the stuff.

I am not an expert on Corsairs, so I can't tell you about their flap position while parked. I was an Air Force pilot for 20 years, and we always retracted the flaps after landing. I am sure you will be able to find some info online.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

Thank you, George - @gblair

I have a love/hate relationship with PE. I'm in-progress on a Dragon 1/35 Tiger B "Porsche Turret" and I used the kit PE + some from Royal for tool clamps and such. It's a lot of work and burn-out. My next panzer is getting 3d print clamps.

The antenna wires on WW2 prop planes is entirely new to me, I know my way around Teen-series jets and Cold War armor, but Corsairs are sending me back-to-basics.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Anna-Elizabeth (@tankgrrl): If you are doing clamps and such on armor, then PE on a 1/48 plane shouldn't be a problem for you. 1/72 is a whole different story. For a long time I would avoid building planes that had antennas, but I have finally started building planes that need the wires. One wire isn't too much of a problem, but some planes had antennas that will have a second wire join the first one. I think the F4U-1D had two wires. :o)

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

It has two posts, so I think it is two wires. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have 1/72 kits as well, a few jets and a bunch of "Macross" models, which are mostly jet-like. For props I have in 1/48 this Corsair and an Eduard Profi-Pack P-400, and a few extras for it. But there are many more I'd like to do.