Vought OS2U Kingfisher - Monogram 1/48

Started by George R Blair Jr · 246 · 8 months ago · 1/48, Jim Sullivan Group, Monogram, Vought OS2U Kingfisher
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Atlantic scheme for a land-based Kingfisher is a great idea George @gblair. It's different in look all the way around.

Here's some photos from the model I did with the Meteor/Cutting Edge cockpit interior that can help you with that interior of the cockpits. There is a US Navy set of Falcon vacuform canopies that has the Kingfisher - I recommend it for being able to open up the canopies better than you can with the kit. Look up Decal Supply Corps on eBay.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I am looking forward to building another kit in 1/48. I was on a run of 1/72 kits there for a while.

Thanks for the info, Tom (@tcinla), and for the photos of the kingfisher interior. I just found a company that makes 3D printed parts for the interior, but they are very pricey. The interior of the kit actually looks complete enough that I might be able to build and add some scratchbuilt detail to it. Using vacuform canopies is another thing I have never done, so maybe it is time to give it a try. I tend to buy the masks and photoetch when I first buy a kit, so I might have these things stashed in a box somewhere. The hunt will begin today.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 11 months ago:

Love the idea of the Kingfisher! I hadn't thought about doing one in Atlantic scheme, but love that idea! I have another 1/72 one in my stash, and think Atlantic may be the way to go! Looking forward to seeing you "floatless" version emerge...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

@gblair, just noticed I mentioned about a Mitchell, ofcourse I meant the Kingfisher, George.

• Profile Photo

No problem, John (@johnb). I thought you meant that this Monogram model would be a good addition to the previous Monogram B-25.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months ago:

Great choice George @gblair. That was the first model I built when I resumed modeling again in the mid-90s and used Jim’s “In Action” book for reference. It still sits in my display case.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Eric (@eb801). I have wanted to build a wheeled Kingfisher for a long time, and I wanted to do an Atlantic Scheme, so two birds with one stone. Yeah! You need to post a photo of your Kingfisher for inspiration.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 11 months ago:

Great kit choice, George! The Monogram Kingfisher is the first 1/48 kit that I remember my dad bringing home to build with me in 1969. He actually built it, I was the decal man.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 11 months ago:

Just like Eric, the Monogram Kingfisher was the first aircraft kit I built when I resumed the hobby with renewed interest a few years ago. I scratch built some of the rear cockpit for added detail, but then botched the finish a bit before a final recovery.

I'll post it someday when the time is right, but can share some of what I did on the interior if you'd like in the meantime.

I also have another in the stash for a Yellow Wings land version, and look forward to seeing your Atlantic bird.

• Profile Photo

John (@j-healy) and Andrew (@pb_legend): I think we all share memories of these early Monogram kits. I remember the wing floats on mine didn't last but a day or two. John, being the decal guy with those original Monogram decals was probably a daunting task. Andrew, funny you should mention the interior, as I was doing my research on the interior today. I now trying to decide how much work I want to put into making the interior match the real thing. I would be glad to see what you did to your interior, before I jump down the rabbit hole on mine.

• Profile Photo

I have been doing some research to determine what I want to do to the kit interior to make it more like the real item. I probably should have done this first, since I have discovered that the kit has a pretty nice interior that bears very little resemblance to the actual plane. The pilot's section consists of a 5-sided box that frames the area, and includes the side consoles, floor, rear bulkhead, and a rather blocky seat attached to the rear bulkhead. I thought it had some potential until I found some interior photos on the Internet. It turns out the front cockpit of the model is almost entirely fictitious. The real aircraft has no floor at all in the pilot section. I need to decide how far down the rabbit hole I will go in the effort to make the model interior look like the real thing. This should be a real fun exercise in scratchbuilding.

In the meantime, I found a company online that makes a really nice 3D printed update set for the Kingfisher that includes a new float, an accurate pilot's compartment, an accurate rear compartment, a full engine, and a new cowling. They have several 3D printed sets for Monogram kits, including the AT-6 and the B-29. If anyone would like to check them out, they are called Flightline Engineering. I ordered the Kingfisher set, which I will use on the next one I build.

Tomorrow it will be rabbit hole time, so I am checking the batteries in my flashlight as I begin my descent into the scratchbuilding darkness. Should be fun.!?!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Latta said 11 months ago:

Not trying to horn in on your project, but I can show you a bit about building an interior. I've been happily working on a pair of Monogram Kingfishers for about a month, with a lot of scratchbuilding.

One will be an early Atlantic Seaboard ant-sub aircraft, and the other , a late 1944 Battleship catapult aircraft with the later armored observer position.

Airframe rescribed, cowl was removed, engine front replaced with a resin R-985, prop replaced with my resin copy of a scratch built prop I did for my Goose. Other than the seats, the entire interior is scratch built from drawings and photographs

Main float is Flightlines 3D printed float, assembled, and resin cast. Wing floats are acceptable, but front struts need to be shortened a bit to give wing floats the correct nose high stance.

18 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Interesting research, my friend @gblair!
    Great job, my friend @tail-dragon!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months ago:

@gblair - Sounds like the rabbit hole will be quite interesting! Looking forward to seeing how deep you go.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Latta said 11 months ago:

Some other drawings that might help (the 1/32 Kittyhawk instruction also have a lot of detail)...

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.