1/32 HPH F7F-3P Tigercat crossing the line !

Started by Michael Ezat · 73 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Erik @airbum , a vinyl cutter may is one of my next buys , is a machine that can free your hands in many cases like now .
    If I don't find a total solution , may I think seriously your kindly offer .
    Thank you very much .

• Profile Photo

Spiros @fiveten , as you say "nothing is unrepairable" and this is also true in this case .
    The Tigercat will not leave my bench until finished .
    Must go nattily and let space for my other build , the Me 262 , that you do not forget I have promised to my beloved Silver ...

• Profile Photo

Hello my friends , how are you ? Because of a partially cancellation of the COVID-19 lockdown , I am back to work so , my updates returns to weekend normality .

Here is my second attempt to repaint this cat . I will approach from a differant way : after the totally paint stipping , the model returns to the clean resin condition .

So , I hit them with two light coats Alclad gloss black primer for metalics . When dry , I give them a light wet sanding with a 3200 grit sanding cloth , with a silky black result .

On the black , I make some "reverse" preshading with white on some areas (panel lines on back fuselage , top of engine nacelles etc) .

Then I paint with the same mixture as before in two coats . My goal here is to have some wheathering and different shades of the color without the need of masking and many different mixtures of the basic color .

The result is not bad , having a smooth surface (because of the primer/sanding) and at the same time good result about the different shades of blue .

Now the model is prepairing for painting all the stars and code letters .

Some of them will not paint at all , like the mission markings on the nose , the red propeller warning in front of the cokpit and the BuNo on the rear fusellage , but this is because I didn't find so small painting masks . A good solution is to use dry transfer letters and numbers , and this is what I am planning to do in a second time .

Let's finish with the main painting and I will give care to the details .

So , that's for now , I am crossing my fingers and go for masking/painting .

Thank you for watching , have a nice weekend .

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking wonderful, Michael @faraomike!
    You are back on track with your Tigercat! Painiting looks great!
    Good luck with your small details (dry transfers, or whatever you decide).
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Splendid result with the painting and pre-lighting Michael.

• Profile Photo

Spiros , yes I am feeling already the excitement of "something goes well" !
    Cross your fingers and everything will finish fine .
    Thank you buddy .

• Profile Photo

Erik , you have the right word : "pre-lighting" .Thank you for looking and for your comments .

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Michael, @faraomike
    By the looks of things you have made some excellent progress. I just finished taking a good close look at the last set of pictures and noticed the rudder is offset a little... I also noticed the fine details on the surface, such as the panel lines and rivets... This is an amazing build !

I am definitely looking forward to the next posting. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Louis , you are very observant and that makes your comments really valuable . The rudder is indeed a bit offset, in an attempt to make the model stand on her feet in a more realistic posture .
    Thank you for your time .

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hello ladies and gentlemens ! How are you here in our forum ? Here in Greece we are under 3rd lockdown so , alot of modeling time !

For 10 days I am trying to bring back to life my tormented cat , as you may remember and now I am close to a happy end .

I am explaining : after a new painting , I start decorating the model with the necessary stars , bars , code letters etc . This time I am using the nice masks from Maketar , so the result will be as realistic as it gets .

Unfortunatelly I am not find so small numbers for painting the rear fuselage code & letters , so I have to live without them . Maybe at a later time , if I find some white dry transfers...

Also I am not painting (or using the kit's decals) the nose warning for the propeller , the mission markings , the nose decoration and with some words any of the warnings on the plane .

One reason is that I do not dare to re-enter adventures with the decals of the kit and the other is that I do not want to deal more. So far it has been an enjoyable construction, even with any setbacks, with extra work it will become tedious and will cease to be interesting.

So , I am finished well thanks to the good paint masks with the decoration and continues with some oiling , for bring out all the rivets and panel lines and also start making some oil stains .

But before , I make some paint chipping with aluminum , using a small piece of sponge (from its packaging of Eduard detail sets) .

Using more colours (dark gray , raw amber , burned amber etc) I make some weathered effect on the blue surfaces . The technique is easy , all they need is some white spirit , two medium to hard brushes (one #4 and one #8 or so) and...time .

Starts adding some dots of the prefered color on the surface you are planning to "lubricate" and then , with the brush slightly wet (almost dry) with white spirit we spread the oil following the air direction (from the front edge to the trailing edge or from nose to tail) .

When the oil goes into every rivet and panel , is time to sweep the surplus .

A piece of soft kitchen papper is enough . Same proccess : sweep following air direction .

When the most of the oil leaves , we repeat with another paper , slightly wet (like the brush before) with white spirit .

The goal here is to achieve a good toning (let say it preshading) of every engraved or embossed detail .

You can follow the same technique for all the "hard" dirty like oil stains .

In these case , spread the stain as needed each time to look like a leak or stain and not an accidental splatter .

On areas that used most from ground crews , you may use some "earth" colors , like amber .

When the oils dry (after one or two days) , you can start working with dry pastel colours .

Same technique : take the dust of the prefered color with the brush , and spread it whenever you like , e.g exhaust stain , always following the flying direction .

Here you have not a pass with wet brush , just repeat until you are satisfied with the result .

So , after some days of brushing and sweeping , I have a well weathered Tigercat , quite realistic compared to the reference photos .

Now I am ready with all the painting and soiling and have all the parts (except pitot tube and a small antena) lining up for the final assembly (you may look the "familly photo") .

My final goal is to finish before the end of lockdown at the end of February , for continuing my neglected Me 262 .

If everything goes fine , soon will call this build "done" .

Until then , have some good time and keep up the good work !

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

That is some awesome weathering!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Well - somehow I missed the boat to follow this build. What a journey! That was an incredible recovery after the first decal mishap. I guess one possible advantage of working in 1/72 like I do is - if I had experienced a similar problem, I would likely have tossed the kit and started over! I love the final paint and weathering work you achieved on this - fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Wow, such a nice progress and AMAZING weathering, my friend @faraomike!
    Looking forward to your finish, πατριωτάκι!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hello buddies ! How are you there ? Hope you are all OK and happy .

I am here to announce the end of this model , finally , after some adventures .

Last update and last comments . This kit is one that I would gladly do again, although at some point I had to grit my teeth and not give up or break it, or use any technique I possess. .

It is a (very) demanding kit , full multimedia , with some difficult points on building , wrongs or omissions on the instructions , and a dreaded one or if you want one of dubious quality decals sheet .

The final model is really huge , doing the photography difficult or even dangerous for his health .

This is the reason for low quality photos , I canot handling this model or focus right to take a good shoot .

Also it is very heavy (the heaviest of my collection until now) but although the manufacturer has provided for it, it continues to be a tail sitter .

In any case , now is into my showcase (the time I had to reorganize the shelves approached dangerously and I have to finish so many...)

So , time to go for the next , thank you to accompany me on this journey , for your comments and for your time .

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Congratulations, my friend @faraomike!
    You came up with a SPLENDID result of a very difficult kit! The level of realism is among the best I've seen.
    The finished model looks like a well used fully operational Tigercat, ready to twckle another mission.
    Well done, φιλαράκι!