1/35th Dragon M-46 Patton Tank USMC

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 76 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 3 months ago:

With the T-34 completed, my next armor piece will be the Dragon M-46 Patton Tank.

Let see what we get in the box.

Popping the lid has the instruction booklet over the bagged parts within the box/

The booklet is typical Dragon, starting with history of the tank, paint callouts and parts map.

Decal sheet for 2 US Army tanks one with the loud Dragon face scheme.

Will be using a Star US Marine decal set #35-1167 to represent a USMC M-46 operating in theatre.

First part to view is the resin tracks.

Sprue A, consists of turret hatches, driver and passenger top deck hatches. Suspension and lower hull details.

The commander's cupola, top deck hatches and gunners/loader hatches.

The Browning .50 cal has nice details. Which I have noticed that Dragon is good for.

The lower hull is one piece already looks busy with some basic suspension components molded on, but has quite a bit more to attached once assembled.

Sprue B, are the road wheels, drive sprockets and idlers. As well as some suspension details.

The road wheels are nice, well defined hexes on the bolts. Rubber tires molded on the rims.

Transmission drive housings again with well defined hexed fasteners/bolts.

Suspension trailing arms are well detailed.

The drive sprocket has a separate center hub to install after removing a difficult cross nub from the center. Which is difficult too clean once removed.

Sprue C is the turret and parts.

The turret comes in in upper lower halves, some texture on the surfaces. Very minor seam cleanup once assembled.

There is no interior, so will most likely build with the hatches closed.

The mantle and base of the moveable gun barrel/

The next sprue contains the plastic 2 piece barrel with molded on muzzle. I wonder if there is a brass barrel available for this kit.

The next sprue contains the upper hull, and parts.

Lots of details are molded into the 1 piece upper hull and decking.

Left and Right fenders will hold a few items once assembled. Nice that they are separated from the upper deck. Making the installation of the tracks easier to accomplish.

The rear lower hull panel has lots of details.

The lower plate that attaches to the bottom of the lower hull also provides details that will not be seen though nice to know they are there.

The next sprue contains suspension details, drive sprocket center hubs. Mufflers, drive housings, etc/

Drive sprocket center hubs again with nice hex details on the bolts.

Upper and lower muffler halves that will ride on top of the rear section of the fenders.

The suspension torsion arms and springs are excellent. The drive housings are well detailed as well.

The final sprue contains 4 figures to assemble, the details on the uniforms look real good, time to practice those facial features. Weapons are well done also.

Next up is to get this party started.

More to follow! Happy New Year

Next sprue contains the links that attach to the resin tracks, quite a few. Looks like fun.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looks to be a great kit, my friend @uscusn!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looks like a nice box to get started in 2022, Chuck @uscusn
    Love to see how this one gets together.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Enjoy the build. Looks like a nice one. Good luck!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks gentleman, looks like a typical Dragon kit though about 20 years old now. So not so new in mouldings, but nice details and probably some challenges. Looking forward to getting started.

• Profile Photo

Step 1 is to build the drive sprockets.

4 pieces to assemble the center wheel hub and the sprocket drives. The sprockets has that cross filler support to remove as well as the nubs between the drive gears.

Inner/outer drive gears cleaned up, rear stub axle is attached.

To ensure that the sprocket gears align properly, I ran the first set on a section of track to confirm that detail.

The set of drive sprockets are completed. Off to a good start.

Next up is to start to assemble the lower hull.

more to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Nice start, my friend @uscusn! Those nubs were not easy to remove!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

A good start it is, Chuck @uscusn
    Sprocket gear aligning with the tracks is looking good.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great start, Chuck. One link at a time...Getting the tracks and gear is an absolute must with a tank kit...too much trouble if they go awry. Looking good my Friend!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Chuck, @uscusn
    Reading this latest update reminded me of my military service as a "tanker" in the M-60 series. It shared a lot of DNA with the M-46-M-48's. As a crewman, we performed a lot of the maintenance, which included changing out track blocks, center guides, end connectors, sprockets, and the like. Each time we went into "Q-Serv" we had to remove the "pack" which was the engine and transmission assembled as one. This was when we would wash out the hull of the tank. You would be surprised at just how much dirt and gunk would accumulate in the hull in such a short period of time. We did this every quarter, (3 months).
    We got so good at doing this, we could remove the pack from our tank in under 15 minutes.

I remember one time we were told to change out ALL of the track and the sprockets on a Friday afternoon shortly after 13:00 hours. (1 PM for the civilians). This Friday also happened to coincide with a payday ! We were told we would not leave the motor pool until the tank was back in service...

Our entire platoon worked together, along with one of the maintenance guys who was operating the M-88 for us. They delivered the new track in sections of 5 or 6 track blocks. We had to man handle them to get them in place, and then connect these sections together exactly how you are doing with your aftermarket track sections. We started the tanks engine, and used the sprockets to pull the brand new track up and over the return rollers. Then we used a track jack to pull the track together so we could install the last center guide and end connectors, which completed the track installation.

Those sprockets are HEAVY just by themselves. It took 4 people to lift the sprocket and hub off the final drive.

Believe it or not, we got it all done before 17:00 🙂 This shows what can be done when a group of people work together with a common goal.

Seeing these parts you recently assembled reminded me of that time a long while ago...

Keep it going Chuck. You are on a roll.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, this M-46 Dragon kit will be a bit of a challenge, looking forward to it.
    Thanks John and Gary, this will be my first tank that will have a complicated track to assemble.
    Hi Louis, the Patton series of tanks is quite lineage. You crewed in the latest version in the M60. A good read into some of your adventures. Cannot wait to hear more about your exploits.

• Profile Photo

Getting back into the Patton, we left off building the drive sprockets. Next step is to start assembling the lower hull starting with the rear plate.

Dragon provides a well detailed panel, molded covers, radio set, service hatches and doors. If familiar with the Patton family of tanks, the early versions are quite different as the tank evolved into what now currently still serve.

Next to attach LH/RH side housing panels.

Quickly taking shape once installed. The fit is excellent.

Next to assemble the trans axle housings. The drive sprockets will ride on these parts.

The running gear on this tank will not be for the most part not moveable. Strictly will be a static model. Unlike the previous tanks to date where the main road wheels will spin. These will be cemented in place.

Once the mounting plates are installed, the trans axle housings are then attached.

Next the trailer pintle housing is assembled and tow hook details are attached.

First the base mount is attached then the hitch.

Then the tow hooks are attached.

Step 1 and 2 completed. The drive sprockets temporarily inserted into the drive housings.

This tank is already much wider than a Sherman.

Next is moving on to the main lower hull.

More to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great progress, Chuck @uscusn
    Details are very nice and fitting does indeed look superb.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great detailing, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great. Looks like some nice detail.