1/48 F9F-5P.

Started by John Healy · 50 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 3 months ago:

New year, new model! My Skyraider will be done shortly so I thought I’d keep the KW naval momentum going. This is the Monogram Panther in its recon guise. I’m going to finish it as one of the silver clear coated aircraft used by VC-61’s detachment aboard USS Valley Forge in 1952-53. The decal dungeon will provide all of the needed markings. The unit badge is provided on Furball’s Banshee sheet.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

That will certainly look different, @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great choice, John @j-healy
    Will be amazing to see this old Monogram kit in silver.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Superb entry, my friend @j-healy! Geat chosen scheme!
    Yet another amazing contribution to our KWGB!

• Profile Photo

Paint it green! I pre-painted the Panther’s interior parts with Humbrol interior green today. I also painted the Willow Green squadron color on the AD while the airbrush was out.
    Panther cockpits were basically black but had interior green below the consoles. Black to follow on the cockpit tub. I’m still amazed at how much detail Monogram packed onto a minimal number of parts and the Panther was one of their best. It’s actually still one of my favorite kits.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, John @j-healy
    The green on the AD looks nice as well.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Yes, the Panther is one of Monogram's best. Too bad they destroyed the mold for the F9F-5 when they did the 5P.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This is one of my favorite planes, John (@j-healy). I have liked the Panther since I first watched "The Bridges at Toko Ri", which has a ton of Panthers in it. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Yes, I’m glad I still have one -5 in the stash.

• Profile Photo

Ready to assemble the interior parts. This kit comes with an instrument panel decal that I’m debating whether or not to use. The plastic IP has excellent raised detail and takes dry brushing well.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Interior looks great, my friend @j-healy! If the kit decal is precisely done and snuggles down to every instrument, the result will be great. But dry brushing and detailing the panel will also be great..
    Your choice... 🙂

• Profile Photo

A difficult decision to be taken, John @j-healy
    With the details already present, I would go for dry brushing first. You can always decide to go for the decal if dry brushing is not what you want.

• Profile Photo

I went with the decal for the instrument panel. It fit nicely. Dry brushing and detail painting for the side consoles. I used Eduard PE belts and dry brushed the seat today too. I need to simulate the breaker panel that belongs on the lower right console with some fine painting.

-5Ps had a prominent view finder in place of the gunsight. This was connected to a periscope that had an aperture under the nose behind the camera windows. I’ll build this from sprue and finish the cockpit assembly next.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The IP fecal settled wonderfully, my friend @j-healy! Looking forward to the viewfinder!