1/48 Hobbycraft Korean War Sea Fury

Started by Louis Gardner · 10 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This is a kit I have been wanting to do for a while now. Since this Korean War group will soon be winding down, I wanted to get busy with building this one.

It's going to be a simple build, straight from the box. I have had this one in the stash for years, and there's no better time than the present to get her done.

The decals still look like new, and there are only a few clear parts.

The fuselage parts...

followed by the wings.

The rest of the plastic is shown here.

I'm hoping this will be a quick and easy build. Likely most of the time will be spent on painting it. I want to build it as the box art plane. I'm fairly certain this Sea Fury scored a MiG-15 kill during the War.

• Profile Photo

And we are off and running !

The instructions are very basic. Next step is to build the spinner and prop. I'm going to do a little bit of research on the colors that should be used for the cockpit and spinner. I'm not up on this subject, so any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm also thinking the spinner should be the same color as the upper Dark Gray that is used on the top sides of the fuselage and wings. On the box art, the spinner is depicted as being a very nice Blue color. It looks REALLY good this way, but I would rather have it look correct.

Any suggestions here are most welcomed.

The cockpit assembled quickly. I trimmed off the pilot's "joystick" because it looked WAY too tall. I'm not going to go crazy with details in the "office", especially when the canopy is closed.

This build will also be a double entry as part of the Hawker 100th, so please keep checking back for updates.

Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

A great entry for sure, Louis @lgardner
    I have no experience with HobbyCraft myself, so I'm interested in what your experience will be on this one.
    Also surprised to see Dutch markings included as well.

• Profile Photo

I have made some good progress on the Sea Fury. It actually looks like an airplane now. Here’s a few pictures of what has been done.

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Superb progress, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This one progresses nicely, Louis @lgardner

• Profile Photo

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)

This one has gone together very fast, and so far the fit has been good too. The only little bit of filler needed was used on the lower wing to fuselage joint, where the flaps normally would be. Here I used some LQS to fill in the gaps.

Thanks again my friends. I hope to spray this Sea Fury and the Seafire at the same time, since they will have the same color schemes with the Black and White stripes on the wings and fuselages.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Wilson said 1 year, 1 month ago:

I built this one, many years ago. It looks like a Sea Fury. If I Remember correctly, the canopy was horrible. Yours looks good so far.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 year ago:

Just catching up here, Louis (now it's the school hols). Looks like a gem taking shape!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year ago:

Nice to see one of these being built, Louis. I still have one of those on my KW shelves. It’s got a vac canopy and I think KMC resin wheels. I’m pretty sure I built it in ‘94. I’m looking forward to seeing yours take shape.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.