Death Rattlers F4U-4 Corsair

Started by Jaime Carreon · 9 · 1 year ago · Corsair, Death Rattlers, Hobby Boss, Korean War
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 1 year ago:

One more to add to the group build. This started as my contribution to our IPMS chapter's contest theme, "Big and Little", in which you build the same subject in two different scales. I've already built a 1/48 Corsair in the markings of VMF323, the Death Rattlers, and when I discovered a 1/72 scale kit with those markings, I snapped it up. Then I realized it could be added here, so...

This is the Hobby Boss "easy assembly" kit. It's pretty basic, with low parts count, but it looks like a late Corsair and since -4 models are hard to come by, and with an $11 price tag, this was a no brainer. The blurb on the box says "detailed scale kit for adult collectors to assemble". Apart from the "adult" part, this should be right up my alley!

Fuselage and wings are one piece. A basic cockpit, with seat and stick, is molded into the fuselage. I added tape seatbelts, side consoles, and decals for the instrument panel. I'm not looking for a perfect cockpit, but do want to make what you see through the canopy a bit more believable. The wings came with huge slots cut into the lower surfaces for the rockets. I'm not using those, so I cut the tabs off of them and used them to fill the holes. A little putty, sanding and rescribing and all is well there. Once all of that was done, it took just a few minutes to assemble the model. There's a little seam work to do, then it will be ready for paint.

The in progress thread is here: https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/a-big-and-little-project/

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Nice looking kit and already a great start, Jaime @jetmex

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Great that you added your Corsair to our Korean GB, my friend @jetmex!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Ready for paint...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking super, my friend @jetmex! Looking forward to see her painted!

• Profile Photo

Looking great, Jaime @jetmex
    Looking forward to the paint session.

• Profile Photo
  • Profile Photo

Looking great on the headlines, Jaime @jetmex

• Profile Photo

Well done, my friend @jetmex!