Denmark in the Korean War

Started by Erik Gjørup · 14 · 1 year ago · airbum, bell 47, hospital, jutlandia, Korea, s-55, Sikorsky
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Some may know that Denmark contributed with the hospital ship "Jutlandia". It did 3 tours there, and for the last tour it had a helideck installed. Now, I do not intend to build the ship, but one or two of the helos.

To that end I am looking for a 1/48 S-55, but so far has failed to find any nearby. Should anyone have a kit that they will part with? - perhaps in exchange for a more modern kit? Let me have a word - preferably as a PM, but feel free to comment here. (HMR-161 HR-16 was seen onboard as far as I can tell)

There is the possibility to use the good old Bell 47 too

I have to admit to having a soft spot for the S-55 (HRS-1), and that may be my first choice I think.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello Erik, @airbum
    I learned something new here today about the hospital ship Jutlandia. I never knew anything about it serving in Korea...

My Dad told me about the differences in the types of landing skids that were used on the Bell-47. He said they used the square style skids when it was intended to be used as a Medevac helicopter. You can clearly see the squared style in your last picture...The other style of skid was more rounded from what he said.

I don't have any helicopter kits in my stash. If I did I would gladly send you one to build. I'll be checking in occasionally for updates. This is a great subject, and one you don't see too much about. Thanks for starting this build journal.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks @lgardner. Regarding the ship, it was only ever used as a hospital ship in Korea. It was build just before WW II, and were to be finished after the invasion. Instead it was laid up, and actually shot at by Mustangs at one point. Apart from being a hospital in Korea it was used as a "royal barge" for the crown princess' Asia visit after Korea, but mostly was used for cargo.

The square gear on the Bell 47 allows carriage of two stretchers, one each side, and was widely used for that purpose. It is indeed a modification, and I think it has also been used for outsize cargo and geological survey, but that is another story.

Thank you for checking the stash. So far I have one S-55 kit on its way, but will always consider more - after all the S-55 was used in RDAF as well, and the Bell 47 has seen use in civilian life in Denmark and Greenland.

So far, I will be building the Jutlandia-related helos, but who knows what is in the distant future? A helideck diorama perhaps? - just pondering here, no plans so far.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

No plastic has been cut yet, but just wanted to share the fact that my friend Spiros (@fiveten) kindly offered me a S-55 that is currently travelling through europe. I also asked on the IPMS Denmark forum, and got an offer from there, so now another S-55 is on its way from Eastern Denmark. I really appreciate the kind people we meet here on thse sites.

Stay safe everyone, and happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    Now that is what I'm talking about ! This is fantastic news...We have been blessed with some great people here on Imodeler...

Spiros is a great person. @fiveten

He went out of his way to film and photograph several of the WW2 Luftwaffe and American planes they have on display in the museum that is near him. I had asked him if he would do it for me as a favor. He did just that, and before I knew it, I had a nice group of pictures and some great videos that he sent me.

Stay safe my friends...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That is great news Eric, now you can plan your build around the kits coming in. There are some really good people on here that do have the gift of helps. I have been blessed with some kits and accessories as well as sending things to others in need to pay it forward. A great community that really for the most part support each other. Now I can't wait to cya start working on this project. you have 3 years.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Nice bit of history, and great news that once again, iModeler modelers come through!

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys, and yes, I really like the people here on iModeler. Great crew to work with. Today on Track & Trace, I found out that I will shortly run out of excuses, as the second kit has arrived in Denmark! I did wash a few other kits that I want to build, and with all the time in the world, this may just have to wait a tiny bit longer (before you ask - no, I actually did not wash any 109's. A bit scary don't you think?) Anyway, just wanted to thank you all for comments and words of encouragement and let you know that I might just get on with the build here one day 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Cannot wait to see this oldmold S-55 brought on, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Good going Spiros! Of track a little bit , I recall a movie called 'Battle Taxi' which I think featured a S-55 flying around in the Korean war..

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Great choice, Erik (@airbum). This is one of my favorite time periods for helicopters. I think I have the S-55/H-19, Bell 47/Sioux, H-25 Retriever, and the H-5 Dragonfly in at least one scale, and some of them in several scales. I still remember Mickey Rooney flying an H-5 in the Bridges at Toko Ri. Looking forward to seeing yours soon. Perhaps a diorama with the landing platform from the Jutlandia?

• Profile Photo

Thank you all - just got a package from Greece yesterday with a few helos from Spiros - thank you my firend @fiveten - great surprise to find 3 kits in the box!

Robert (@roofrat), I'll have to check that movie out one day. Any movie with flying in it is going to be good 🙂

George (@gblair] yes they are great the helos form yesteryear aren't they. A diorama? - the thought have crossed my mind, but it will be huge in 1/48, and I have no pictures (yet) of it from above.

But wait, are you all saying I have to get going soon? - I am afraid it will have to dissapoint you, and may have to keep you waiting a bit more as there are no HalfWorks build boxes available just now (I only have some 6-8 boxes in progress at any one time, and I think I'm more than there with at least 4 in the overflow department of cardboardboxes)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@roofrat mentioned a movie called Battle Taxi looong time ago. Today I did a search and found the movie on youtube. Not the most realistic movie as the stand-in location for Korea looks like the desert in the USA, but nonetheless lots of nice air-to-air sequences.

Now, where did I put my helo? I suppose I have to get it going before this nice group closes in july 2023.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I just watched the Bridges at Toko-Ri for like the thousandth time, Erik (@airbum), and it really got my Panther and helo juices flowing again.