F-82G Twin Mustang, Monogram 1/72

Started by Jaime Carreon · 27 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@jetmex, I'm tuned in on this one too - very good choice for this group build!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Got the airplane painted last night, she'll get a coat of Future later and then on to decals. All that's left of assembly is the landing gear and drop tanks, and I'm still mulling whether to add the tanks or not. The pylons will have to go on for sure because of the huge slot in the wings for them, but I'll have to cut them off as they were molded with the tanks. Should have this one done this weekend!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Speed of light modelling, Jaime @jetmex!
    Waiting to see this beauty done!

• Profile Photo

Did a bunch of work today on the 86 inch radio control Zero I'm working on, but I did get the F-82 painted last night. Just finished the clear coat. I also managed to find an extra set of wing pylons, so I might yet be able to get away without the drop tanks. Going to get decals on tomorrow.

For some reason, I've decided F-82's look really weird without the radar pod. Some might say they look really weird with it... 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I fall into the "weird with the radar group" @jetmex. But then night fighters always look good. Great work Jaime.

• Profile Photo

I love the F-82 with the radar pod...but then I equally love it without...
    No worries @jetmex, your F-82 looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@jetmex, Somewhere it has a mother that loves it Jaime, radar or not 🙂
    I'm with Spiros here - both are in their own way "go-get-it-done" planes.

• Profile Photo

Well, I think I'm going to call this one...DONE!

A few observations for those who might be interested. For as old as this kit is, it is accurate in outline and builds into a pretty nice model. The cockpits are very basic and could definitely use improvement, but there is good wheel well detail. The propellers are molded correctly for the F-82, which has both left and right rotating propellers to counteract the takeoff torque. They rotate inward, so make sure you get them on the proper side. The Special Hobby kit is much nicer as far as detail goes, but the fuselage shape is not right and it costs quite a bit more. If I were to do this again, I'd probably use the cockpit, underwing stores and PE from the SH kit to update the Monogram one. The SH decals are also much nicer.

I'll have pics on the headline page tomorrow...

• Profile Photo

Well done @jetmex!
    Waiting for the headlines!

• Profile Photo
    Wolfgang Rusch said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Very nice @jetmex ! You probably may put a picture of your finished F-82 here at the end of this thread, too, bcause the pics in the headline page may get lost by time.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I personally think a finished photo and a hyperlink to the main article is a great way to wrap up a build. In your case (if I were you), I'd just edit in an amended note to your last post so that anyone who may eventually read this topic can easily find the finished product. Editing a post in your thread doesn't "bump" it to the "latest" section on the main page, which is ok since you've already posted the main article. Just my $0.02. 🙂

PS I love your F-82. Even though the kit was "old" by the time I built it, I was young and it brought back great memories. I even found it in the "scrap-heap" box where many of my childhood builds remain interred. Perhaps maybe I should restore her for this GB...? Well done!

• Profile Photo

As requested:

Korea – The Forgotten War GB. North American F-82G Twin Mustang
    Andrew, I too found the remains of one of the F-82's I built a long time ago in my junkbox. Bits and pieces of it reside in several of the more recent models I've built, so it all sort of came full circle. Wolfgang, here's a pic for you! I'm glad all of you enjoyed the model!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.