Fairey Firefly Mk1 Special Hobby 1/48

Started by neil foster · 30 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Love seeing someone taking an uncommon subject and not only obscure but a kit that is multi media and a challenge. In a war that featured the F-86 and MiG-15's, as well as the other well known aircraft used such as the Corsair, Mustang, Meteor, F-80's, B-26's etc. But also some not so well known, like the Fairey Firefly and a B-45 Tornado. Like the variant George built. Gb's like this bring out special projects that normally think about and contemplate to build someday. So looking forward to this build. Will enjoy seeing this come to fruition Neil.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hey Louis Buddy, I don't know if it is the same kit as yours but it will look great with the wings folded , my kit doesn't have the option so maybe it's a different moulding . I'm looking forward to seeing that big B29 more than anything in this GB , can't wait !.
    Neil.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for that Chuck , I'm feeling quite inspired with this kit myself.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Neil, @neil-foster
    As soon as I wrap up a few of the projects that I currently have underway, I'm going to be starting the B-29 and the F-84. The F-84 is going to be a tribute to one of my Dad's childhood friends who was shot down and killed while flying in a F-84 on a mission over Pyongyang. His name was Mike Rebo. Mike was shot down by a Russian pilot who was flying a MiG-15 in North Korean markings for obvious reasons. Ironically, Mike was of Russian descendants himself, and could fluently speak Russian...He was listed as MIA for many years, and only recently his partial remains were repatriated to the USA after they were delivered at the DMZ a few years ago. Finally he was given a proper burial with full military honors.

I built a model of the actual MiG-15 that shot down my Dad's friend as part of our recent MiG group build. Here's a link to it in case you want to read a little more about Mike.

MiG Group Build : 1/48 Tamiya MiG-15 bis, Captain Pavel Milauszkin, 176 IAP / 324th IAD, Korea 1952.
    If time allows, I will tackle my Firefly too. I think it will look cool with folded wings, and save me some storage room in the display case that way too. I'll be looking forward to seeing your next posting... Stay safe my friend. Cheers.
  • Profile Photo

Just a quick update on my progress, I found the cockpit and navigators position a bit overloaded with pointless tiny details that wont be seen and the fit of the two fuselage halves was close but not perfect as you can see from all my filling and rubbing down, however I found the fit of the wings so close that I had to snap them into position and could of easily locked them in without any glue at all, I didn't by the way !. Up to know it's coming along nicely but appearances can be deceiving , I still have a ton of work to do but maybe work is the wrong word...

Neil

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looks really great Neil @neil-foster!
    Nice work on a nice but challenging kit!

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Here's a quick up date on my progress, I didn't fancy masking up the clear parts as it's more like a greenhouse ! so I opted for the Eduard masking set .
    Cheers Neil.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Very nice build indeed. At the infamous 90% mark I guess? (90% finished, 90% still to go)

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 3 years, 5 months ago:

HaHa ! good one Erik , I'm going to use that one.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

So far so good Neil, nice to get to this point. Prepped and ready for paint. Masking is not my favorite part of any build but necessary on such a kit like this one with multi paneled green houses. I second Erik's comment.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I somehow missed the last update, neil @neil-foster.
    Looks superb already!
    Those Eduard masks seem to do the job (I hate masking canopies...)
    Waiting for your progress, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looking good, Neil. Almost there.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Well a Sunday morning tidy up of the workbench and a few shots to give you an up date of my progress. The main bulk of this build is now completed but as you guys know there is probably as much time left in finishing as I have spent so far , I still have the landing gear ,the radar pod and the missiles and propeller assembly to build and paint , the decals and other small details to complete and maybe some light weathering. Up to now this has been a very enjoyable kit to work on , hope you like it so far.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

90% and all is well!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looks grear, Neil @neil-foster!
    What you said about time left to finish a model is absolutely true: you go on and on, and the model doesn't seem to finish... And voila! At a point it's done!