Lavochkin La-11, 1/48 ARK models

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 121 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

After being notified by Louis @lgardner that this group will close in July, I wanted to participate as well and had the following model in stock. I do know that both, the aircraft and the kit brand are both Russian, but it has nothing to do with this useless ongoing war. For me it is a model which I just want to participate with in this group.

This kit I bought at a modeling fair and I bought it very cheap at €9 from a German contester, this is why it says "sonderpreis" which means special price.

The kit seems very basic and does not have that much details. The plastic mold quality does look nice. I do not have any experience with this brand so let's see how the fitting of the parts is.

I was notified by Tom @tcinla, that the canopy of this kit has a poor fit so it would be better to have a vacu form canopy. Searching the internet I was able to found one from Quinta Studio and the same store also offered the 3D interior decal from Quinta. I do have no experience with Quinta, but especially the interior decal looks amazing.

The scheme I will aim for is the one shown on the next picture.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This looks really nice and I sincerely appreciate you supporting the Korean War group. I’m looking forward to seeing your next installment !

Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Superb entry, my friend @johnb!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

@lgardner, thank you, Louis. Nearly finished my current builds so I can focus on this one soon.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

A start was made with the Fang. First ompression of the parts is good, they do fit nicely. No signs of flash or other imperfections.

The only weird thing is that there are no paint instructions. Ofcourse it is always nice to do some research yourself, a learningful aspect of this hobby.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year ago:

The Quinta canopy and cockpit interior is excellent.

This kit is far more outline accurate than the POS Hobby Boss kit which kinda/sorta looks vaguely like an La-11.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year ago:

Great choice, John. Check out Scott Van Aken’s article about this kit over at Modelingmadness.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Excellent start, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@tcinla, thanks, Tom. Especially the 3D instrumentation panels do look very nice, they will definitely improve the interior.
    @j-healy, thank you, John. I will definitely do.
    @fiveten, thanks, Spiros.

• Profile Photo

Interior painted. Looking forward to work with the Quinta Studio decals.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Interior color looks nice, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year ago:

Nice start John. Do you have any previous experience with vac-form canopies, or will this be the first? no matter what I shall be looking forward to that part of the build. Strapped in and ready to follow this one.

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks a lot, Eric. This will be my first experience with a vac-form canopy. Need to look into that if any precaution needs to be taken into account.