Lavochkin La-11, 1/48 ARK models

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 121 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

This is how the interior looks like when all is applied. Personally I do like the way the harnas looks, much more realistic than PE shaped ones.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

This is a superb looking cockpit, my friend @johnb! I agree, those seat belts look excellent!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year ago:

Yeah, that looks very good. I have all this stuff collected for mine, so I think I am going to let you inspire me and get on to it, now that I have the most recent manuscript finished.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla, thanks you very much, Tom. With your experience it might be difficult to inspire you but I will do my best.

• Profile Photo

It was a difficult decision but I could do no other than to hide the Quinta interior by closing the fuselage halves. There are no alignment pins but using some rubber bands and tape made it possible to get a nice fit.

To make the build look a bit more dynamic, I seperated the elevators from the horizontal stabilizers.

The nose cover does however need quite some adjustment to get a decent fit. Need to figure out what is the best approach to get this done.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year ago:

@johnb - Sand that part down on the lower edges John, till it fits.

• Profile Photo

Amazing job so far, my friend @johnb! Good old sanding will provide a better fit in the front.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla, @fiveten, thanks for the advise. Will do that, should be not too difficult.

• Profile Photo

👍

• Profile Photo

To make the front fuselage part fit more precisely, grinding was done on both parts, the piece itself as well as the fuselage. Grinding was done in a tapered way (not sure if this is a correct explanation). The fit is much better now but requires still a bit of cleaning up. On Modelling Madness I found a review of the same kit from Scott van Aken and he had the same issue, so this is clearly a molding issue.

Fitting the wings is on the other hand very nice. Dry fitting learns that not too much additional work is required here.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year ago:

Great work on the nose. Works a lot better than just sanding it down.

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks a lot, Erik.

• Profile Photo

Highly sophisticated rubber bands are always handy to make sure no gap appears at the wing roots.

Air inlets of the engine cowling are opened, not to complicated.

• Profile Photo

Excellent treatment of the gap/mismatch, my friend @johnb! Good old sanding, a procedure seeming to fade away with the new zero tolerance Wunderkits that only need slight scraping of the mating surfaces 😁
    Excellent progress, too, all looking wonderful!