Mikojan-Gurevitj MiG-15, 8170, Italeri (Dragon) 1/72

Started by Erik Gjørup · 3 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

How do I fit a 109 into this GB?

If you have followed my builds on iModeler, you will be aware that I am a 109aholic

I have been thinking very hard what to do to make a connection, and the solution goes like this;

The 109 got its first fights in Spain, the opponents often being Russian manufactured fighters. The 109’s first met strong opponents in the Channel area, in the form of Rolls-Royce Merlin engine fighters. One of the engines that followed the Merlin was the Nene. After WW II, the Russians obtained some sort of license to make their own copy of the Nene, calling it the RD-45. The RD-45 was used in the MiG-15, and the MiG-15 was used in Korea.

Now, that might be a bit far fetched, but a lame excuse had to be found to take part in this GB, and that was the best I could do. As the GB is going on for the next 3 years, I will not start this one up right away, as my “in-progress” boxes are more than full, but it will come some day before June 2023.

My great friend Klavs Nielsen came to the rescue and flew a spare kit in to Stauning where I work (he came in OY-CTV, the C172 that was the reason I met my girlfriend! – she was with me at work and we all had a very enjoyable but politically-correct-social-distance-kept day at the airport) Thanks again @klavs1972 – great to see you.

This will be dormant for some time before work commences – feel free to comment on my nonsense reasoning and fill in the correct version of the RD-45 engine story

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Following your conductive thinking, then, YES!, the MiG-15 is connected to the 109, @airbum!
    ...I mean, if your engine is a descendant of the engine that equipped the planes the 109 fought, then there's a connection!
    This will be a very sweet build, my friend.
    Cannot wait for your progress, whenever you decide to give a go!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Erik, @airbum

Welcome aboard my friend to our ever growing Korean War group build. Your MiG-15 is a welcome addition, and whenever you can get it going is good enough for me...as we have a little over 3 years to complete our work.

There's another connection you can use... some of these MiG-15's were flown by Russian pilots who also fought against 109's.

I agree with Spiros, and I can't wait to see you give this one a try...