Roden M43 Ambulance

Started by Eric Berg · 10 · 3 years ago · ambulance, Korean War, Korean War build, M43 ambulance, Roden M43
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 9 months ago:

This kit has been sitting on my shelf of doom since it was released a few years ago. I bought it before reading all the reviews about what horrible this kit is and a major pain to build. With only one Roden kit under my belt - T-28 Trojan - I know I'm facing an uphill battle tackling this ambulance but every modeler needs a little self inflicted punishment every once in awhile right? So I'll give it a try.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi eric @eb801!

This is a great choice!

Cannot predict the challenges this kit is going to present you, but I'm adamant that you'll end up with an excellent M43.

I have always (maybe bizarrely) thought that every model deserves to be built (I can imagine the excellently finished M43 sitting proudly on top of its box).

So its great that you give this beauty a go.

Eagerly waiting for your steps!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

It is a great choice. With all these negative waves about Roden kits, I can't wait to start my C-119C. I t's not just a job It's an adventure.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello Eric, @eb801
    Thanks for starting this build journal. The M43 was based on the Dodge 3/4 ton truck wasn't it ? That was used as a platform for many different vehicles. My Dad spoke very highly of this truck and said it would literally drive almost anywhere... He said they could climb a tree if the bark didn't slip ! just kidding of course, but this was a very versatile and dependable truck. Exactly what you need in an ambulance.

If I had my choice of owning and operating a WW2 / Korean vintage military vehicle, the Dodge 3/4 ton weapons carrier would be it... or maybe even a half track if I could afford one. Both were ultra cool.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some updates. Thanks for joining our ever growing group.

• Profile Photo

An "adventure". That's a great attitude and way to approach this build. Good tip. Thanks Robert.

• Profile Photo

Louis: Yes the M43 ambulance used the same chassis as the Dodge M37. When I was in high school late 60's, l I almost bought a surplus M43 for dirt cheap until I came to my senses and realized how impractical they are for an around town vehicle. This model will have to do.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Eric, I actually started the C-119, so far so good, the plastic is a little funky, the real test will be the decals. I've heard Rodan's can be trouble some. Me , I'd go for a half track.

• Profile Photo

Roden's M43 has been sitting on my shelf of doom since it first came out in 2018 due to all the negative reviews.
    The M43 tires in this Roden kit are useless. They are made of black vinyl and the tread pattern is completely wrong. So I opted for the excellent corrected sagged resin wheel set from DefModel of Korea. They are designed for Roden's M37 kit but the M43 used the same wheels and the sag looks just right.
    I'm about to dive in. This should be an adventure!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Those are some lovely resin wheels, Eric.

• Profile Photo

Spiros: I am quite impressed with these quality of DefModel resin wheels. Another downside of this Roden M43 kit is the decals which are some of the worst I've ever seen. I will use Archer's new US military ambulance wet decal sheet instead. Aside from these two items, the rest of the kit will be strictly out of the box.