Supermarine Seafire FR47 Airfix 1/48

Started by George Schembri · 34 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, FR47, Korea The Forgotten War, Seafire
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Eric @eb801

Not exactly 66 degrees but proper look achieved.

Apart from the white areas being totally translucent, the decals did better than first expected - had to soak in warm water to get good separation but using Micro Set/Sol really helped and the decals adhered fantastically with all recessed lines showing through.

And thanks goes to my wife - While have a coffee, I mentioned I had to look for a protractor and was ready to start searching when she pulled one out of a drawer. She recently packed up a desk that belonged to one of our kids and found it. Saved my some time and frustration searching.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Well, we can call this one done. Wasn't sure if I was going to finish today but thanks to a wet & cold Sunday afternoon, I was able to focus on the build.

The canopy was a bit of work with gaps filled with Kistal Klear. All painted and final decals applied.

All in all a great build for me, this actually is my first 'new' Airfix kit and I really enjoyed the build. I hit a few snags but was able to get help from other Seafire builds to ensure I was looking at things the right way. Will definitely look forward to future Airfix models.

Thanks to Louis Gardner @lgardner for administering this group as I would not have built this kit so soon if not for the Korean War GB.

Also thanks to Tom Cleaver @tcinla for the great history background of the No. 800 NAS and the important contribution of the Squadron so early in the conflict. Honestly did not know the significance in which was originally a search for a unique contribution to the GB.

Soon to be in the Headlines, thanks to all who followed the build - gotta remember to take more photos along the way.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hi George @georgeswork!
    What a great finish!
    The Seafire is a very elegant bird and your build, together with the excellent painting, only emphasizes this.
    It was a nice build thread: I really enjoyed following it.
    Well done and "see" you at the headlines!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

George, I for one have enjoyed following this build. Of course it would have been nice to have had more pictures along the build as you pointed out, but the ones we got were very nice and did cover most. After all this hobby is all about building, not taking pictures 🙂
    Well done @georgeswork!