Tamiya 1/35 M-41 Walker Bulldog- New and Improved!

Started by Jordyn Collier · 12 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Heres another build. This one is sort of an update of a few things I learned. On top of that, I’ve learned some new things about the actual history of the tank. For example, in 1953, the M41 was first deployed in Korea. Known as the T41, it was deployed apparently without proper gunnery training and a troublesome rangefinder. These issues were addressed later. However, it performed much better, as intended, than the M24 facing North Korean and Chinese T-34/85s. Interesting to look at. As per my last few builds, I searched the heck out of the tank for images. And I found a few! Excited to show y’all what I’m gonna do with this later. I picked up months ago a Tamiya 1/35 US sprue of weapons and helmets and bags to add to it. Should turn out cool, and adding stowage was chosen due to the following images, with the exception of the (apparently iconic) ammo crates since I couldn’t find any when I looked. Anyway, here we go! The first three are from the proving grounds.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And the basic assembly of the turret and hull are more or less done. Next I’ve got a few more of the less fragile details on the model, and I’ll apply the thin parts when I’m done with the next step, which will include a nicer looking armor texture than on the other one I did. I was too heavy handed with it last time, and I think it showed...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Jordyn, that is a nice collection of grabs from the online library. My back hurt when I saw the one crossing the wall - about to slam down heavily, and the "mudmover" brought back memories from the days when I drove jeeps for fun in deep mud. Looking forward to your build here.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice entry, Jordyn @1corsair64!
    And nice progress, too!

• Profile Photo

Hey Erik and Spiros. Thanks for checking in on my build! Got a little more done today, adding the armor texture. School finals are coming up so I’ll start the wheels tomorrow or this weekend. I need to cut into my modeling time so I can study!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

One little step at a time and your M-41 is moving on, Jordyn!
    Studying has priority, but not to worry! Your hobby is waiting for you!

• Profile Photo

And here she is, in her full unpainted glory. Probably one of the better build processes I've done on a tank. I've been reading a book on Korea called "The Last Stand of Fox Company", and it has inspired me to continue with this one. Hopefully I'll have a bit more done this week. Thanks for reading!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks great, Jordyn @1corsair64!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years ago:

Three months. How could I have forgotten? Anyway, heres an update. Nearing completion, painted before I got my airbrush so not up to current quality.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking great, Jordyn!
    And looking forward to see it crossing the finish line!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

What a dog! - and the tank is nice too! 🙂
    You did very well before the airbrush, at least it looks nice on my screen. Taking your experience into account it is actually superb! great effects and all - looking forward to the last bits Jordyn.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years ago:

Nice progress Jordyn, really like the addition of the dog.