Tamiya 1/35 Walker Bulldog

Started by Jordyn Collier · 12 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I'm sure this one is being built by someone, but I would like to give it ago. So for my first entry, I have the Tamiya 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog. I'm really excited by this.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello Jordyn, @1corsair64
    Welcome to our ever growing Korean War group build. Thanks for participating.

This Tamiya kit builds into a nice model. I built one of these Bulldog models, and the only change I made to mine was adding a set of AFV club individual track links. You will have fun with it... The Army had over 900 of these tanks built by March 1952. They had a lot of mechanical problems that needed to be worked out before they were placed in front line service.

Sources indicate that "some" of these 900 early tanks were shipped to Korea, and they arrived just as the fighting ended. I am fairly certain they did not see combat in Korea, but they were most likely there when the "cease fire" happened.

Have some fun with it and be sure to post up some in progress photos...

• Profile Photo

Yea I read that the bulldig saw next to no service. That's why I'm just giving it the most basic paint I can. I dont want to go too off the cuff and not have it qualify. Anyway, all the wheels and the entire lower hull are done. And the wheels have poly caps which is nice. Not pictured are the tracks, which failed to stay together with superglue and heat for some reason, so I decided to sew them together. It...actually worked. I was surprised lol. Now I know what to do with those stubborn rubber band tracks!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Jordyn, @1corsair64
    Go ahead and build it for the group. As best we can tell, they were present in Korea during the hostilities, they just didn't see any active combat there. So it still qualifies...

The type did see combat with the French in Vietnam, a little while later.

I like the work you have posted on it so far. It looks good. You mentioned one of the things I don't like about "rubber band" style one piece tracks, and that's how to keep them together. I have successfully used a stapler in the past to keep them joined. It will work in a pinch.

These one piece tracks do have their good points though. They are much easier to build and you can have both tracks installed in minutes, versus a day or so of tedious work with the individual link sets. Do what works for you... It's your model. Have fun and learn something while you are at it...

• Profile Photo

Heres what I was talking about with the tracks. I tied them at the connection and just painted the thread. Also, turrets done.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Nice trick with the tracks!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Nice trick indeed!

• Profile Photo

Here are a few pictures of my Tamiya Bulldog. I pulled it out of my display case to show you something about the tracks.

The AFV club tracks were an improvement over the kit supplied parts. But there is also a small trade off as far as accuracy. They look better, but when you look closer you can see a slight "sag" in the tracks over the return rollers. On American tanks, they typically run a very tight track tension, so this track sag would not be present on the real thing.
    Here is a close up of what I'm talking about.

Now if this was a WW2 German or Russian tank it would be good to go... but it's not.

And your kit supplied parts along with your ingenious sewing fix will look much better than mine does when you are done. This was one of the first armor builds I did when I returned back to the hobby about 25 years ago. I have learned from my mistakes like the ones I pointed out to you with my Bulldog. I have noticed that your models are getting better with each one you make.

Keep up the great work !

• Profile Photo

I got the painting and gave it a pin wash. Its technically done for me. However, this won't be the last you see of it. I have other...plans. I'm hoping it turns out and you guys also think it's cool lol.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks great! That hint of surface rust on the tracks reminds me that once on a Reserve drill weekend for some reason we had to go to Bayonne Naval Base in NJ, there lined up along the pier was a number of M1A1 Abram tanks, with a similar look of rust on their tracks, this was around the late 1980's.

• Profile Photo

I kind of went for the look of a display tank. What I'm going to do with it after this doesnt involve the GB, it's going to be a funny dio with Besty Ross flag painted on top battling british soldiers from the 1700's. But that wont be for a while. So it's just going to sit like this until I feel the need to attempt that. And I figured that lots of tanks just sitting there have a very clean paint job but rusty tracks from sitting there. There has been references I've seen, and actual pictures I took that show that off. And then theres the fact that this tank likely sat there doing nothing since they got in Korea right when the peace happened.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Your tank looks great, Jordyn.