USAF Monogram 1/48th B-26B Invader

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 76 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

The cockpit looks amazing, Chuck (@uscusn). I have had this kit lurking in my garage for a long time, so I think you are giving me a great excuse for building it. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Now to work on the Monograms Invader bomb bay.

The bomb racks looks a bit more detailed compared to the ones provide by ICM by a lot.
    These will carry 8 bombs compared to just 4 on the ICM Invader.

The first set are installed into the LH fuselage. The other pair into the RH side.

This Invader will have 250ib's in the bay. with one 500lb already built placed on the rear rack 2nd station.

Bombs assembled.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Chuck @uscusn, you are doing a wonderful job on your bomb bay!
    I chicken and usually close my bomb bays, stating that I want to preserve the aircraft lines - LOL!

• Profile Photo

Not being chicken Spiros, just your personal choice. Beside building those magnificent 1/44th scale early Luftwaffe aircraft, tough kits, is a man of passion and confidence. The main reason I build most of these bombers with open bays is because the bomb bay doors most of the time don't fit very well when closed. Even on the best fitting kits like the Tamiya Betty for instance, bomb bay door does not fit well at all.

• Profile Photo

Before getting back into the rest of the interior, with some black in the airbrush I painted the props and then masked off and painted the tips Yellow.

Next is to install the remaining bulkheads and interior walls and rear wingspar.

The rear compartment bulkhead and forward wall are given a brown wash and ducting painted OD.

1st to install the rear bulk head then slip the RH fuselage half to check alignment as the cement sets in place.

Next to slip in place the rearward wing spar, which also divides the weapons bay in front and rear sections.

A test fit of the upper turret.

Next is to install the rear wall of the weapons bay which also serves as the forward bulkhead in the gunners compartment.

Now to slip the fuselage halves together once again to check for alignment as the cement sets.

Looks good so far from the top view.

The observer's window is then installed. Monogram has this set tall or in a vertical position, where as the ICM kit it is horizontal. Looking at quite a few photos I have found only images of how Monogram has theirs configured. WWII, Korean and Vietnam era Invaders with some painted over. Could be wrong on ICM though not a deal breaker.

The fuselage is ready to be assembled. Now the part where you wish you had three hands to hold the turret in place as you slip the RH side over the wingspar slots.

The fit is the right kind of firm feel as you carefully slip the fuselage halves together. Fit is good, turrets turn, not loose where they can fall out over time.

Typical Monogram fit, good yet still will need the normal seam clean up as expected.

Bombs loaded, lower turret also turns without much effort.

Next start work on the wings and tail.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Chuck, its all good in my book. Having read the reviews on the ICM kit and its faults , factor in the price, making corrections if so incline and that old decrypted Monogram kits looks pretty good. If it looks like a duck and quacks like one can analogize that it is. . .
    This looks like a fun build and seeing your older build add
    s more fuel to the fire. Having a good experience in modeling is what its all about.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Yep, the Monogram kit is still going strong!
    This is such amazing progress, Chuck @uscusn! Oozing of details!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks Steve, it just that Monogram in their day may have not always been perfect, but they did offer the only choice for years the only Invader in this scale. So it's a bit off in shape. Oh well to some a deal breaker, others just build it. The ICM kit is very good, though soft on the details, still an alternative if you don't spending a bit more. Still getting some upgrades. Which is up to the builder.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, will always enjoy the challenges Monogram kits offer. In the end they build very well despite any known issues.

• Profile Photo

Now with both air frames having the fuselages mated. A quick comparison of the 2 Invaders, you can now tell the difference visually on the Monogram kit that is a bit wider. Another issue is the vertical tail is a bit too long. The ICM kit on the left seems longer a slender, where as the Mono kit looks a bit wider and not as slender. Though the nose as been attached on the ICM kit, Still the difference is quite apparent now. Still the Monogram Invader looks fine despite that problem too me.

The Monogram kit has the horizontal stab as one large piece. The elevators are moulded in place so not poseable unless you cut them to pose them in a down position.

The the stab slips into a slot under the vertical tail. Fit is fair, will require some clean up around the join, easy fix.

Now some putty to clean up the seam in front of the cockpit.

Unlike the B-26 Marauder, the seams are not difficult to work on. So putty will be required not as much as on the Marauder.

Next is to assemble the wings, first to drill out the holes for the rockets.

The wings halves are assembled and the fit here is typical Monogram, good. will need to clean up the leading edges.

This version will have the wing mounted internal guns that are on the leading edge of the wings.

Once the wings are assembled, they are slipped over the wings spars and attached to the fuselage, the fit here again is fair, the top seam alignment is good, will need to work on the lower wing join to the fuselage.

You can feel the heft of the Monogram Invader before weight is added. Compared to the ICM kit which is already weighed down. The thicker plastic used by Monogram is part of that reason.

Next up to build the nacelles.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking good, the Monogram kit looks pretty damn good. Looks like you are making good progress, which is amazing considering all the other projects I see on your work bench. You are very ambitious! I am lookin forward to seeing more of this really nice build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great, Chuck! You put it together nicely!
    Good old Monogram kit!

• Profile Photo

Happy New Year Walt, yes she does, building the black moulding of the B-26C kit when that first came out. I remember now how fun it was to build, not much of an issue in building other than what was expected from a Monogram kit. You just know that some work is expected not Tamiya or Hasegawa in nature.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, totally agree good ole Monogram!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

It does indeed look great Chuck. I love that Revell-Monogram Invader kit. Especially the Pro-Modeler version with those great reference photos included in the instructions. Too bad they don't do that anymore. It will be interesting to compare it to the ICM kit once I get around to starting it.

Judging by your photos, you have a real aircraft production facility going on there. Can't wait to see how that P-38 turns out.