USMC M8 Greyhound 1/35th Tamiya

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 74 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Just like turning the tailwheel on a WWII fighter, the turned wheels will transfor this from a static object to a living depiction of the vehicle. Great stuff Chuck!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Yes Erik same principle. Just add some character to the model.
    Now to finish up the under carriage.

Install the 4 rear shock absorbers. Side of the hull to the differential.

Next the rear sway/stabilizer bar. Mounts between the rear differentials.
    ]
    Next the rear grille panel.

Support bracket for hitch and tow eyelets are next attached to rear grille panel.

Before installing the exhaust tailpipe, i finish airbrushing the OD over the under carriage.

The muffler is burnt metal and a wash of rust.

The installed right under the grille panel.

Next up, getting some interior work in.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

It's coming together superbly, Chuck!
    I love that muffler!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Great job on that muffler!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, Erik, that idea came from the He-219 technique on the dampers. Being a steel muffler and pipe not cast. Like on an automobile, the steel with the heat, cold, environment, it will start to show rust rather quickly.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Now start work on the interior. The side walls are white and the floor is OD.

Before painting will start with some basic. components. First with the rear bulkhead/firewall that separates the interior compartment to the engine. Side note, plenty of room in the engine compartment if one wanted to have a resin engine installed in place.

RH side panel which also has the storage compartment door molded in place.

Radio shelf mounts on the LH side of the fighting compartment.

A PE panel is attached to the to of the differential hump that juts up from the floor.

The shifter console with the e-brake handles is then place between the front seats.

A pair of storage boxes are placed at the rear LH/RH rear side panels in the fighting compartment.

Next a PE flash light holder bracket is attached on the RH side wall towards the co-driver.

Next is to paint the side walls Glossy white using Tamiya Acrylic. And the upper structure sides as well.

Next to add more interior components.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Chuck @uscusn!
    This is coming along amazingly!
    I loved all these PE addons! A PE flashlight holder? How cool!
    PS: indeed that empty engine compartment cries for a resin beauty of an engine...
    As, always, great presentation, Sir.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That is good use of a few PE parts - they make a real difference here IMHO.

• Profile Photo

You know PE and armor are really made for each other. Brackets, braces, racks, grille work, fenders, etc... Really all kinds of detail bits and pieces to really enhance plastic parts that are limited to the mold process in keeping to scale thickness. A lot of the PE solves that problem.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Your Greyhound is building up very nicely, Chuck. The Tamiya M8 is another model in my stash I would like to get to soon - this an inspiring project for me. I don't think I've seen one built with the steering mechanism add-on. With the dynamic look you will achieve, you could put it in an interesting diorama. I had a lot of fun with the PE for my T-72. You are right that armor is the perfect subject for PE application. In addition to the kinds of details it mimics so well, the flat planes and walls of an armor model, inside and out, give it something to securely adhere to. I had a heck of a time with PE until I learned how well it glues on with a drop of Future. I find Future will flow beautifully under metal parts with a fine brush applicator and almost disappears from view when it shrinks up after drying (and it self-leveling as an acrylic). Since I also have need to fix the positioning of PE after it dries, a bit of Windex will melt away the Future and allow me to do this.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Colin, not only the T-72 but the other armor projects are amazing. PE is rather finicky to use even on a good day. Just lots of patience. Though a lot of people really don't care about them and would rather go the resin route. But there is something new for aircraft that is very promising. Nothing for armor as yet as this is a new way to update an interior I am going to do a review on this product this weekend. I have asked the producer if I could and he was stoked over it. So with the best kit I feel is on the market and will present this. Hopefully you will like it as well.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Chuck, @uscusn
    It's amazing at how much better these tiny PE parts look, when they are added to your Greyhound and then painted. It takes your model up a notch or two for sure...and gives your build details that can not be achieved right from the box. Then you articulated the front suspension and now the front wheels are turned. This also was a great idea and it makes your M-8 look even more realistic. I think that Colin is onto something there with his comment about how nice it would look in a diorama. However building something like that is out of my pay grade ! I have never attempted a dio. Maybe someday...

I'm looking forward to your next installment and the 3D decal instrument parts review was a nice read too. Your Tamiya P-38 looks even better with those additions.

• Profile Photo

Yes Louis I do agree the subtle enhancements PE does to an armor piece. Aircraft has at least for me a different look. On armor grab handles, grille work benefits the details that already are on the model. Fenders and plates much more into scale. What a plan to do is to build the individual armor pieces and then incorporate them into a dio towards the end of the GB. Let see how that goes.

• Profile Photo

The floor is painted Olive Drab. Looks rough but then it will get scuffed, muddy, bloody and quite worn out during heavy use in combat operations. So I am not to worried about the brush strokes and unevenness.

Next the seats are painted first with the seat backs, which actually fold when not in use.

Then the seat bottom cushions are then installed.

14 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Chuck @uscusn!
    The interior looks fantastic and I totally agree with your choice to brush paint the bottom unevenly. Looks much more realistic this way.
    The Greyhoumd comes along great!