Valom 1/72 RB-45C Tornado

Started by George R Blair Jr · 53 · 3 years ago · 1/72, RB-45C, Tornado, Valom
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

George, @gblair
    This is really coming together now. buttoning up the fuselage is always a good sign. I was stationed at Ft. Bliss from 1983 through 1987. Had some great times there, and some not so great too... you know the deal, also having served in the military.

"I believe it was Abby... Yes Abby someone. Abby Normal, yes that's who it was".

My what knockers you have !

That movie was really a classic.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

will require multiple sessions of fit, fill, sand, and repeat

Sounds like a lot of fun in between classes George!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Louis (@lgardner): I graduated from college in 1973 and joined the Air Force, so I was gone by the time you got to El Paso. I understand about your stay at Ft Bliss.

"It's pronounced "eyegor.""

• Profile Photo

Update:

I am in my third round of fill and sand on the fuselage, and things are starting to look hopeful. I just added the upper nose section, which was probably the worst fitting of anything on the fuselage. More fill and sand.

I started on the wings today and was sad to see some real fit issues. The resin parts of the engine attach to the plastic exhaust section, but without anything to provide positive locations for gluing. So, basically a flat edge glued to a flat surface. I used super glue, which pulled apart three times trying to get it positioned in the wing. I finally got both exhaust sections into the wing, and then dribbled copious amounts of thick super glue around the exhausts to be sure they stayed in place. As the glue was drying, I had the thought that I just shot myself in the foot if I need to re-position the exhaust section. I then glued the top of the wing on, only to find that the fit around the exhaust and the forward part of the engine nacelles is very poor. Time for more putty and sanding.

I need to take a break tomorrow and go get some more Tamiya Putty. I have exhausted my supply of putty, but I keep hoping that it will all be worth it in the end. More fill and sand tomorrow. I keep promising myself that I will build something a little easier next time, but I keep jumping the track into these more demanding kits. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Those kits require "a little more attention?!", meaning have your chisel and bastard file handy and, hopefully, you may see some styrene behind the putty (that tends to cover the whole plane - lol!).

Do I hear a half finished 1/48 FM Vautour calling?

I might add that your chances to become Tamiya putty customer of the month are good, George @gblair! Just keep those short run kits coming!

Joke aside, the Tornado looks splendid! Cannot wait to see it coming together.

It's such a cool plane!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Fighting back?

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Oh by George! that is some body work you got going there, as you were expecting but no this much. I apply the putty the exact same way as you do lol. Sometime I use tape to protect some panel lines. But not always, I am working on a Revellogram Me-262, and it takes quite a bit of work to clean the seams around the jet engine nacelles to wing join. That one pic of the wing and exhaust cone join is scary!

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Aw, that is some massive construction work you are doing there. You may want to put some strips of tape to mask around the areas you will putty. Once you added the goo you just strip away tape and there will be much less material to sand away.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the sympathy everyone! @fiveten @airbum @uscusn @stellan

I do usually use masking tape to protect the area I am filling. I taped the first application of putty, then discovered that I needed to apply the putty to an area that was so large that I was going to wipe out the panel lines anyway. Plus it saved me having to buy some new masking tape.

I have made some good progress and I am pleased with how it is going so far. The fuselage took 3 rounds of fill and sand. After that, I started on the wings. The worst fitting areas were around the engine nacelles. These were hard to deal with because of the complex curves and intersections between the engines and the wings. Attaching the wings to the fuselage was almost an anti-climax thanks to a spar that was designed to support the wings. Thanks, Valom. I re-scribed some of the panel lines that were obliterated, but this task was made more difficult by the very hard plastic of this kit. I really had to press on the scriber to get it to cut a line, but I was concerned that one slip would really mess up the surface.

Attaching the landing gear required some modifications to the kit parts. The pin on top of the gear that is supposed to fit into a hole in the gear well was only about 1/16 inch in height. No way this would hold the gear in place. I added a small plastic piece to the gear well that would fit over the top of the strut and provide a more solid attachment.

The last challenge was attaching the horizontal tail surfaces using the infamous butt joint. These were some really big chunks of plastic, and they attached at an angle. I should have known that things were going too well. The tail-pieces went on very well. I was busy patting myself on the back when I set the plane on its landing gear and discovered it no longer sat on 3 wheels. Apparently the weight of the recently added tail surfaces overcame the large fishing weights I put in the nose. I started looking for someplace to stuff some more weight, but with no luck. I then remembered that I haven't attached the tip tanks on the wings yet. Not as good as getting the weight more forward, but I managed to stuff a goodly amount of BBs into the forward part of the tanks and then secured with super glue. Attaching the tanks will probably come tomorrow, so we will see then if I still have a tail-sitter.

About the only thing left besides the tanks is to attach the canopy. Then it will be paint time. Yeah. I have also started a Gulf War Jaguar that I work on while stuff on the Tornado is drying. Both are 1/72, and the size difference is amazing.

Every stay safe!

18 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi George @gblair!

You've done a great job so far!

Nice reinforcements in the landing gear; this will be a securely sitting plane.

Good rescribing job too!

Regarding the butt joined wings, remembering from my similar builds, as fearful the attachments might seem, they have rarely, if ever, caused any problems; they usually end up well, with only the necessary sanding filling required. Butt join magic!

I will be borrowing the "handle" trick with masking tape for holding small parts: a good amount of graphic language will be avoided!

I have to say I love the looks of the Tornado: big, bold, black and beautiful!

Eagerly waiting for your painting!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

WOW - what a treat! Really going all the way on this one George. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Today was painting day. The repetitious fill, sand, and repeat plan had finally yielded something finished enough to cover with paint. I used Vallejo flat black sprayed from a can. I like this spray paint because it uses lower pressure than other sprays, so you don't get that nasty buildup of paint. Once this coat was dry, I highlighted some panel lines with a light gray using my airbrush. I then highlighted some random areas with primer green, followed by some random highlights using another light gray. At this point, the paint looks a little garish. The key to this process is to tie it all together with a final coat of very thin (almost a wash) of the original color. I used Tamiya Tire Black for this final coat, which is a black that is slightly lighter than the original coat of pure black. This thin coat allows the highlights to subtly show through while tying everything together. After letting everything dry for a while, I sprayed some Vallejo Clear Gloss from a spray can in preparation for the decals.

There are only six decals to place for this paint scheme, so hopefully things will move quickly. Everyone stay safe.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That's amazing, George @gblair!
    All your sanding and filling efforts paid off. I like the final black a lot.
    what a big plane!
    Waiting for the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

George (@gblair), your hard work has paid off big time! The final coat with all the highlighted panellines just showing through is GREAT!

They say an all-black plane is hard to make interesting - you have proved this to be wrong. Looking forward to the next post on this very interesting build.

(You may need a bigger spray booth if this trend is anything to go by)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Erik (@airbum). I appreciate your kind words. It will be nice to be done with this this plane.