1989 Sauber-Mercedes C9

Started by Greg Fabian · 39 · 10 months ago · 1/24, Automotive, LeMans, Sauber-Mercedes, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Fabian said 1 year, 2 months ago:

For my contribution to this group I'm going to build Tamiya's 1:24 rendition of this car which finished first and second in the 1989 running of LeMans. One thing for sure, it's not as flamboyant as most of today's racing cars, but there is a certain understated elegance. I just put my order in for the model, so I probably won't post an update on my attempt at construction for a couple of weeks.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great choice, Greg @gwfabian, looking forward to following your build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Very nice entry of this sliver arrow, Greg @gwfabian
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Amazing entry, my friend @gwfabian!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Nice one @gwfabian, its a really nice car, and I've heard a fantastic kit.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Fabian said 1 year ago:

Work has been progressing slowly on this project. At the rate I'm going, I might finish the model in time for the 101st Le Mans anniversary. As with many Tamiya models, the fit on this one is very good. There is a little flash and some moulding seams to deal with, but nothing out of line. I stumbled upon a web site with many photographs of the actual car (see: http://www.gurneyflap.com/mercedessauberc9.html).

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year ago:

Lots of nice work going on here, @gwfabian, I’m sure you’ll be finished in time for this year’s race.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Fantastic job so far, the usual Greg Fabian magic, my friend @gwfabian! Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Great result, Greg @gwfabian.
    Those seatbelts are very nice with the paper and PE buckles.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year ago:

Greg,

What paint will you be using for the silver finish of your model?

• Profile Photo

I’ve secured a can of Tamiya TS-17 gloss aluminum spray paint that I will shoot the model with.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year ago:

Greg, I'm impressed with your progress and the model looks impressive to say the least. I believe four cars where made are going to go with number 63? This series of racer was the last car to use aluminum framing and then Mercedes used carbon fiber for the later cars frames. Your description of C9 as being "understated elegance" is spot on and I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this kit.

• Profile Photo

The model has decals for three C9s- 61, 62, and 63. I’m going for 63 since it took first. There may have been a fourth in the race. I had some time to focus on the model and managed to complete most of the chassis as you can see in the pictures. The tire decals were a particular challenge for me, but I’m almost at where I need to be.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Splendid job so far, my friend @gwfabian!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year ago:

It looks like you’ve got the knack of applying those tyre transfers, Greg @gwfabian, and your “chassis” looks fabulous.