Tamiya Jaguar XJR-9LM

Started by Cricket · 17 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Not terribly familiar with Le Mans and what cars ran in it, I offer this as a submission…..what say you committee is it accessible?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

What an amazing entry, my friend @bikequeen! The car has raced Le Mans. Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This car definitely became famous in Le Mans, Cricket @bikequeen
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Brillant choice @bikequeen, excited to see how you excel in the four wheeled versions.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @anthonyricco @johnb ….. thanks everyone had I read the paperwork that came with it i could have answered my own question :). I started it this morning …. May have pics later today

• Profile Photo

@anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @bikequeen @fiveten

Epic fail on the purple paint, :(. I know there is a product called “Purple Power” soak your part in it for a few hours and it strips the paint without attacking the plastic. But here in the middle of now=here I cant find it….any suggestions? I did this part first because I knew it was gunna be trouble. Also the purple paint is very old and kept under extreem conditions. My first instinct was to toss but I wont.

Suggestions? 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 2 months ago:

@bikequeen - acrylic or enamel? Isopropyl Alcohol works great for acrylic paints... I don't know enamels really...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Maybe the good old sanding, not necessarily to the bare plastic, then some primer and you are good to go, my friend @bikequeen.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I vote for the sanding as well, Cricket @bikequeen
    This will not harm or disform the plastic and it will for sure remove all the grease and paint.

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen, you can use dettol disinfectant, or oven cleaner also works, put the part in a bag, spray in oven cleaner and then leave it for a bit, otherwise soak it in dettol.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great choice for this group build, Cricket @bikequeen, this Jaguar is beautiful and took victory at Le Mans in 1988. I built the Hasegawa kit here a few years ago, not so detailed as your Tamiya kit, but the purple bits were water slide transfers. I’ve had a quick look at your instructions on scalemates.com and Tamiya include a detailed masking guide, I don’t know if you’ve got that far in the instructions yet, but I think it’s worth a read. This will look cool being photographed with your Mk 2 saloon.

• Profile Photo

@anthonyricco I dont know what dettol is but I had forgotten about oven cleaner….so I will get that

Sanding is not an option for me on this there are way to many nooks and crannies to get at and I will likely gouge the heck out of it 🙁

@chinensegeorge Hey George I’m afraid the Mk 2 has earned a spot on the shelf of doom, possibly yo never be completed

Meanwhile as I wait to get out to get my oven cleaner…..please join me at the Motorcycle group while I start the Tamiya Suzuki 750 1/12th scale police bike 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hey @bikequeen - it may be a South African product then, its a disinfectant liquid that you put on cuts and scratches, but yeah oven cleaner is great.

Looking forward to the Suzuki 750.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Hi Cricket @bikequeen, how are you getting on with the paint stripper? If you do build this kit have you decided which one of the three race numbers to use? The reason I ask is I fancy trying to get hold of one of these kits myself.

By the way, if you want to get a feel for this great race try watching the Steve McQueen movie “Le Mans 1971”. The opening sequences really capture the atmosphere, the road going early Porsche 911 he drives is just gorgeous. Happy modelling.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge Hey George! I’m not sure which number I will use, I guess it depends on what decal I dont mess up :). And YES! I know that film well, and loved every second of it, except the junk the studio made him put in it ;). I have a copy of the film 🙂