MiG-15 bis, Captain Pavel Milauszkin, 176 IAP / 324th IAD, Korea 1952. Tamiya 1/48

Started by Louis Gardner · 101 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Looking good, Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

James, @jamesb
    Thanks for the compliments. I have been watching your Glenn Miller UC-64 come along, and it looks fantastic. The paint is very smooth and appears flawless. So your air brushing skills are dialed in pretty darned good ! With your skills, I think that you could pull this off without any problems at all. Give it a try on your P-47 or your Spitfire. I think you can nail it... I really do !

Hello John ! @j-healy

Thank you my friend... I sincerely appreciate this.

• Profile Photo

Tonight was a rather busy evening at the "Iron Werks" I managed to do some final detail painting on these remaining two MIG-15's.

I also added the decals... What a marked improvement this made. I am very happy with the decision to repaint the Soviet MiG. It was a good call I think.

Here's how they now look.

I made up a "fictional" Red Bort number on the side of the nose of the Chinese MiG. It's close in sequence to another Chinese MiG-15 that wore a very similar camouflage pattern. Close enough for me anyhow.

I am very pleased with how this Soviet MiG looks now that it has been repainted. It needed a soft edge paint to look right in my opinion.

I will let these decals dry overnight. If things go well tomorrow I will seal them with a flat clear coat. The only things left to do are to install the landing light in the nose air intake and gun camera lens. Add the EZ line antennae, paint the navigation lights and these will be done.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

What a difference! - that made a cool plane look GR8! And with the decals these two just stand out. Looking forward to the "MiG-meet" when all three crosses the line 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hello Erik, @airbum

and thanks for the compliments on the repaint work. Like you, I believe its a huge difference, like it is between night and day... That's how much of a stark contrast the soft edge repaint has made.

You don't need to wait any longer, as tonight I finished the work on the remaining two MiG-15's. I took some photos of all three at the finish line and will be posting them next.

Thank goodness for the group build extension, otherwise these would not have made it in time. I had a few days to spare, but that's cutting it a little too close for my liking... Happy New Year !

• Profile Photo

As I mentioned above, tonight I was able to finish up the last two remaining MiG-15 builds.

I did a little touch up painting on the Chinese MiG. There were some paint smudges and I had two fingerprints that had to be wet sanded out. Once this was taken care of, I gave it another coat of Testor's Dull Coat. Once the flat clear had dried, I did the final detail painting on both MiG's.

This consisted of painting the wingtip navigation lights, painting the antennae cable insulators using a dark brown, and detailing the jet exhaust with some pastel powders. Then I used some fine EZ line for the antenna cables. Here's a close up of this on the Soviet MiG 15 "Red 40",

and the Chinese "1209". This is a made up "fictional" Bort number. I wasn't able to find any pictures showing this number in use.

The remaining clear parts were added next. This was the gun camera lens and the landing light cover. Both items are located in or near the intake. The gun camera lens is tiny !

Alas, here's the finish line and all 3 MiG-15's are there ! This is the first photo of "MiG Meet 2019"

and the money shot...

Finally here's a few pictures of each MiG from the group.
    Chinese "1209"

Soviet "Red 40"

and North Korean but flown by a Soviet pilot, "Yellow 758".

The final parting shot, with all 3 MiG's in a left echelon pose...

If things go as planned, look for a short article to be posted on these remaining two planes. The North Korean MiG-15 has already been posted.

I am so happy that I was able to finish these 3 planes before the deadline. If the deadline wasn't extended until December 31st, these last two wouldn't have made it in time. Sebastijan Videk @inflames
    thank you for extending the group build. With everything that has been happening here at home, it was needed. Life has a tendency to get in the way of our hobby on occasions.

These planes would not have the correct colors without help from another friend. Dmitry Stropalov helped me out on more than one occasion and answered all of my questions.

Dmitry, @starfar
    once again I thank you my friend for doing this.

Many thanks also go out to all of my friends, who have been following along with me on this journey. Your words of encouragement and compliments made this an unforgettable trip.

Happy New Year !

And as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

What a treat - nice line-up on the finishline here! Thank you for the ride - enjoyed it all.

Happy new year - strong tailwinds and happy landings!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik ! @airbum

I appreciate the support throughout this build. I also just finished posting up these last two MiG-15's in the headline section. Along with the articles, here are a few more photos showing the 3 planes together.

I hope that you all have had as much fun participating in this adventure as I have. Plus I have learned an awful lot about the MiG-15 along the way.

I'll post up the links to the articles next.

• Profile Photo

Here's the final article showing the Soviet MiG-15 in the headlines section. Please follow the link if you are interested.

MiG Group Build, Tamiya 1/48 MiG-15 bis, Major Nicolay Shkodin, 147th GIAP, 5 victories Korea July 1953
    Finally here's the last photo I'll be posting here of this plane.
  • Profile Photo

The final picture of the Chinese PLAAF is shown here.

The link to the article in the headlines section can be seen by following this link if you're interested in this one too.

MiG Group Build, Tamiya 1/48 MiG-15 bis, People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) Korean War
    It's been a fun ride, but like everything in life, all good things must end. I want to sincerely thank each of you for taking time to comment, and offering assistance when it was needed. We did it ! and made 100 posts with this build journal... Take care my friends. I'll end this by saying, "as usual, comments are encouraged".
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 3 months ago:

All well done and looking good Louis, nice variety !