BMW R75 Military Motorcycle

Started by George R Blair Jr · 216 · 1 year ago · BMW, German, Italeri, motorcycle, R75, Sidecar, Tamiya, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Indeed, my friend @gblair. Though an old Esci mold (early 70s), it is somehow unexpected from an Esci kit not having part numbers molded on the sprues: adds a lot more challenge to an already challenging kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@gblair, I had a kit once without numbers on the sprues, but the instructions had a layout of the sprues with numbers indicating the parts. If that is missing as well, I can imagine it is hard to find the correct part in some cases.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I must say, @gblair, for someone who keeps claiming you don't know that much about this, you're doing a magniicent job. Weathering and wear you did looks highly realistic. I guess this project is a good argument for reading and following the instructions. Who knew?! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Thanks, Tom (@tcinla). I like taking part in some of the building groups because they push you out of your comfort zone, which this one certainly does. I think this confirms the idea that a relatively competent modeler can use universal techniques on any model. My unfamiliarity with the subject has forced me to rely on the instruction for everything I do, so I am glad the instructions are good. This has been a fun kit, but I am itching to build a plane, probably something for the Hawker Group. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I was also surprised not to have part numbers on the parts or sprues. The instructions has a parts diagram, but I am having two problems with the diagram: 1. Some of the parts are very small and look just like other parts, and they are located on the sprue close to their look-alike parts.. 2. The diagram worked well at the beginning. You could find a distinctive part on each of the 5 or 6 sprues, and use that part as a road map to the part I need. As more and more parts are taken off the sprues it gets increasingly difficult to find the correct sprue and part. What I should have done was taken a marker and identified the sprues while they were still easy to figure out. Another case of what I should have done, and now I pay the price.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Whew George, I have never had a kit that wasn't clearly marked, so well done on plugging through with a build that is looking superb.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@gblair that’s coming along nicely George! Great detail!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Rory (@rory)and Cricket (@bikequeen). I was also surprised that a complex kit like this would depend on identifying the parts using a map of the sprues. As near as I can tell this kit was originally released in 1973, so maybe that explains some things.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I guess some familiarity with the real thing would have helped, @gblair, but you seemed to have coped with the problem perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hi George, I will be very keen to watch as you progress to the sidecar... it looks to me like they ran a secondary transfer case off the side of the gearbox to drive the side car wheel independently. Advanced for the time period and a nice piece of engineering. The weathering on your exhaust collector is superb!

• Profile Photo

Thank, George (@chinesegeorge) and Rory (@rory). Finding parts hasn't been too bad, but it takes a lot longer to find a part and then be sure that I have the right part. I probably wouldn't know I had the wrong part until something down the line didn't fit. From my reading, Rory (@rory), they had a differential tied from the rear wheel on the motorcycle to the wheel on the sidecar. Essentially, you had both rear wheels powered. You could also select off-road and road gear ratios through the differential/transfer case.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Wow @gblair, I've just popped on here for the first time and your build is looking phenomenal. Amazing work I'm definitely going to be following.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for stopping by, Anthony (@anthonyricco). I like to participate in groups sometimes because they pull you out of your comfort zone. This is definitely the case here.

• Profile Photo

Not getting much done. Both my wife and I have been sick for a week. We finally went to the doctor yesterday, and hopefully got some pharmaceuticals that will help clear this up. I worked a little on the motorcycle, but I don't really want to do much on the cycle until I'm sure I am not making fuzzy decisions.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hope you both get better quickly now you’ve got the medicine, George @gblair.