Excelsior-Henderson Super X 1:8 Scratch Build

Started by Matt Minnichsoffer · 102 · 2 months ago · 1/8, Excelsior-Henderson, motorcycle, Scratch Build, Super X
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

In 1998 I began working for a startup motorcycle manufacturing company in Belle Plaine, MN. For the next 18 months I was part of a team that brought the Super X motorcycle to life as part of the styling department. I won’t go into the details of how and why the company failed, there’s plenty of that info online for those who want some background. But the bike deserved a life—its as SO cool.

What I’m attempting is the bring that wonderful heavyweight cruiser back to life in 1:8 scale. To achieve this I will employ scratch building; mold making; 3D modeling and 3D printing; and lastly, custom decals. While this task is a daunting pursuit, I am armed with my old computer drawings and the factory owner, service and parts manuals.

The goal is to build at least two bikes:

1. Either the first Super X - code named “Glory” in black or a two-toned blue/silver version as presented in the initial promotional materials.

2. The first Deadwood Special - This bike is near & dear to my heart as the configuration and theme came from my concept work. We built two prototypes as photo bikes prior to the 2000 Sturgis bike rally. Code named “Jake & Elwood” for the Blues Brothers. I babysat these builds down the assembly line and fired up Elwood and rode it around the parking lot prior to loading it into the trainer for a photo shoot.

Wish me luck. Hoping to chronicle the start-to-finish process.
  • Profile Photo

It took me a while to get this WIP to the site, so I have a few items already built. After cleaning up my reference drawings, I scratch built the frame and swing cage. The desire is to build molds for these and resin case them. Problem is figuring out the method to cast the frame without cutting it apart.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

This is a superb entry, my friend @coondog! Modeling at another level!
    Amazing progress already!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent entry, Matt @coondog
    Those are beautiful bikes, looking forward to see them modelled.

• Profile Photo

Starting working on the 3D modeling. The floorboard was a an easy extrusion so I did that first just to learn the software. I'm using a program called Shapr3D. Mainly because the interface is pretty user-friendly and one can work on both iPad & desktop with a common interface.

The second art is the front end rigid fork. I figured I'd start with the front end and work back from there since it's a pretty complicated leading-link suspension. More to come.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

This looks really promising, my friend @coondog!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Those are some nice drawings, Matt @coondog

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Made a great deal of progress on modeling the Super X front end assembly. Each part comes with its challenges, but once I figure something out and render it there comes a great sense of accomplishment. The horn was an example of this.

The Super X has a very distinctive horn with a number of complex curves. When drawing it free-hand it's pretty simple. Even carving one out of RenWood wasn't too tough, but modeling one with my novice abilities was a bit of a challenge, but I think I pulled it off pretty good for 1/8 scale.

The modeled horn (left) and the real thing (right).

Back to the front end, I though it valuable to show the real thing and the model side-by-side so it makes sense to those not familiar with the bike. The leading link front suspension was what set the Super X apart. Also the forks plunging through the front fender vs. on the outside of the fender was a throwback design cue from the Super X of the 1930s. I'll tackle the front fender later…Comment away.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Fantastic modeling, my friend @coodog!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

The horn looks superb, Matt @coondog
    As is the work on the front fork.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is a completely different world of modelling to the one I live in, @coondog, looking forward to following your progress after this great start.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Completed the complicated top triple clamp. Most traditional front suspension bikes have a fairly simple triple clamp construction, but not E-H. No we had to design a complicated masterpiece that was a challenge to model. I remember it was also a challenge for the polishing shop. Because of all the complicated radius' each piece had to hand polished=$$$ part.

I will say though they could have just delivered a bulky, less-elegant part and it would have done the job, but each piece was given attention to make the bike flow together, not just function. So here's the finished modeled part with the handle bar clamps. Next time the full front end progress. Cheers…

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very impressive, Matt @coondog

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Amazing 3d modeling, my friend @coondog!
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 10 months, 1 week ago:

I've found a new obsession in 3D modeling parts. It really feels like I'm building the model twice. The first time is drawing the 2D art and using that as a blueprint to model the 3D parts and the second will be actually building the bikes after all the parts are generated.

Some may say this isn't "scratch-building" in it's pure sense, but I beg to differ. Creating parts as accurately as I can in the computer from the photos, manuals and memories is, in my mind, pure scratch-building. Plus, the added benefit of learning a new skill. I should be tracking the hours spent on this project, but what's the fun in that?

At any rate, here is the front end assembly with the headlight in place. I played with a front fender, but it's not perfect, so I will re-visit that part later. The free-form building is a real challenge.

I have moved on to the heart of the beast—the engine. The Super X "X-Twin" engine was an 85 ci, 50 degree v-twin originally developed by Weslake out of England. It was later refined and sculpted into a pretty sexy powerplant. Here we see the raw cylinder without the intake/exhaust ports carved out. As in most of the parts I've created to date, I needed to reverse engineer my thinking to build the parts in a way that the software would allow me to construct the desired end result. After living in the 2D graphic design world for 30 years, this is challenging at times.

And finally, me and a fellow E-H staffer at the Laconia New Hampshire Bike Rally, Father's Day 2000. I'm on the left.